Rearend Rebuild

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
So the plan is to rebuild the rear end on the Mustang during the off season. What are you guys running for differentials and gears? I'm looking for gear ratios, models, and brands. I have an 08 GT with a Kenne Bell blower and stock internals. 305/45R18 rear tires. I use this car mainly for fun on the streets and traveling.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Grab a 33 spline eaton true trac and some axles. For gears, bearings and all the setup stuff, ford racing. For a crush sleeve eliminator, I don't know.

46addict

Reaction score
If you aren't racing much on sticky radials or slicks, I would get the True Trac for stock axles and leave it alone. You didn't mention what trans you're using but if it's an auto car, you will get better returns from investing in an aftermarket converter.
3.73s for gear ratio unless you plan on a 6060 swap in the near future then I would go with 4.10s or 4.30s.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Stock axles are plenty strong. I'd go with what I have (imagine that, lol). I've had a few different setups and would not hesitate on the Eaton TruTrac again. I'd also put 4.10 gears in while you are at it. 4.10s go nicely with 305/45/18 and the stock 5 speed. You will also want them if you eventually put a 6060 in.

With that said if you like the way your current gears work with your setup then keep them.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
tru trac, moser 31 spline axles and 4.10's here... love the setup especially with the taller gears in 1st and 2nd with my 6060 swap

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I definitely wanted to step it up with the gears, the 3.31's are nice, but I want quicker acceleration!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you have spare time check with eaton on why the 33 spline true track is much stronger. I have the 31. Some people have issues, some don't.

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I definitely wanted to step it up with the gears, the 3.31's are nice, but I want quicker acceleration!

I noticed a difference in acceleration with a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.
It also took care of the low speed clunks.

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed a difference in acceleration with a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.
It also took care of the low speed clunks.

Yes, I agree and would like to add one to the car. It currently has just over 40k miles, so I am holding off on the driveshaft to buy other parts. Also would like to find a good deal on one, or a used one.

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
I just finished doing mine a couple days ago. +1 for the TruTrac. I'd keep factory axles, If it's only going to see street tires don't spend money you don't have to. The best deal on an install/rebuild kit i could get was from Motive Gear, I opted for the slightly more expensive one with Timken bearings. Very complete kit with decent marking compound, brush, new ring gear bolts and loctite all included and packaged nice. Part Number is R8.8RMKT. Only thing is you'll still have to get axle bearings and seals extra, If you want part numbers i can round those up tomorrow. Basically i just got them individually from my local parts store and it was only about $40 Canadian. I also got a Ratech Crush Sleeve elim kit. Part number is 4105.

While you're in there, I'd also get a support cover\girdle. Personally i went with the LPW Ultra unit, It clears our panhard bar without a relo bracket and Ford uses them on the Cobra Jets. Since i'm in Canada it was cheaper for my local parts store to order it through Keystone, Where it's actually sold by Strange. So if you're interested it's probably cheapest for you to order directly from LPW online. But the part number i got on Keystone was r5233. I believe that's the same as the SKU on Strange's site too.

If you're gonna take it out of the car i'd get your axles tubes welded (I did it myself, But that's probably frowned upon without a jig lol). If not, You probably won't twist anything on street tires anyways- Just cheap insurance imo

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate the information guys, I do run Nitto N555R's, but don't to a whole lot of high rev drops in first gear

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back