What 3V motor do I have

07ponyJL

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked before or if I'm even posting in the correct area but here it goes...
I have a 2007 Mustang GT with 169xxx miles. Mods are K&N cold air, pipes chatted xpipe, rough extreme mufflers, Bama 93 custom tune (strategy?), MGW short throw shifter... I think that's all.
Anyways, I have been doing some work on the car recently and I've noticed it doesn't have a 2007 3V motor in it. I have three idler pulleys so I'm guessing the previous owner switched out the engine and neglected to tell me..is there a way to validate, on the motor itself, what year it is?
I had a bad squeal I couldn't locate it so I replaced an idler pulley and tensioner assembly.. That didn't fix it so I went back to the parts house and the guy told me that my year motor doesn't have three idler pulleys, yet I can visibly see them.. And all '07 belt diagrams I looked up are completely different from what mine is.
I'm I being ignorant about something or is it possible I have an earlier year motor? And if so, how do 8 figure out which one I have?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been asked before or if I'm even posting in the correct area but here it goes...
I have a 2007 Mustang GT with 169xxx miles. Mods are K&N cold air, pipes chatted xpipe, rough extreme mufflers, Bama 93 custom tune (strategy?), MGW short throw shifter... I think that's all.
Anyways, I have been doing some work on the car recently and I've noticed it doesn't have a 2007 3V motor in it. I have three idler pulleys so I'm guessing the previous owner switched out the engine and neglected to tell me..is there a way to validate, on the motor itself, what year it is?
I had a bad squeal I couldn't locate it so I replaced an idler pulley and tensioner assembly.. That didn't fix it so I went back to the parts house and the guy told me that my year motor doesn't have three idler pulleys, yet I can visibly see them.. And all '07 belt diagrams I looked up are completely different from what mine is.
I'm I being ignorant about something or is it possible I have an earlier year motor? And if so, how do 8 figure out which one I have?

All 3v front covers are the same with the same number of idler pulleys. Did you ever think that the parts store guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

Do you have a pic? Are you sure you have a GT?

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
yhst-14752229404082_2268_64020040

Looks like they are 3 idle pulleys.

07 Boss

Reaction score
from looking at my old engine.

That bottom right pulley should have a bracket that holds the radiator hose.

That's because it was on 05-06. In 07 they changed the thermostat housing and plumbing a little bit.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
yhst-14752229404082_2268_64020040

Looks like they are 3 idle pulleys.

The tensioner also has an idler. Really though, this whole thread is useless. It's quite easy to tell a 3v V8 from any other motor. An idler pulley count is not how to do it. The valve covers themselves are unique to a 4.6 3v and easily recognizable. So it the fact of having 8 cylinders.

It's quite difficult to swap a different motor in. Not because it won't fit but because it won't work with the computer or wiring. The only motor that would swap in place of a 4.6 3v would be a 5.4 3v or 4v. If for some miraculous reason this happened it would be ok.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
5 doll hairs says you bought a badged up 6 cylinder.

But really...pictures please.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
COP boot colors, brown or black, at least that will tell what heads are in there. In 07 I believe they should be brown. 05-06 I know are black for sure.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Still waiting for op's return with pictures

07 Boss

Reaction score
COP boot colors, brown or black, at least that will tell what heads are in there. In 07 I believe they should be brown. 05-06 I know are black for sure.

I have black COP boots in my 07. They changed them in mid 07 which is the 08 model year.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back