Track prep, needed equipment, Road Course Q's?

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Hello. New to this forum and just shot out a hi in newbee intro forum.

So I have a 2008 Mustang GT lightly modified with Pypes Bomb axle-back, Billstein HD shocks, Ford Racing P springs, 20 inch SVP Bullet wheels black and a Panhard bar. I'll be getting a tuner + CAI soon. Bought it new in 2008 and luv this car! 120K miles and feels like it is running as strong as it was when I bought her! No major issues ever.

I've always had this fantasy about tracking this baby! Finally decided to do it. So I was wondering, what do I need to do to make sure this car will not break down or blow up or have any issues as I am running her on the track? I am kind of novice at car prep so any input would be appreciated.

Stangs rock!!

07 Boss

Reaction score
First off, this is no where near tech and will probably get moved to the appropriate section.

Two, what kind of track? Road course, AutoX, Drag Strip, dirt oval......?

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Oops sorry. Wasn't sure where to post. Anyway, track such as Fontana Raceway or Button a willow open track.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For your first track day, flush the brake fluid, make sure the pads have some meat on them, have tires that don't suck, and have fun.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A fresh oil change with 5W30 or better oil (you probably won't find anybody who'd recommend 5W20 for HPDE/road course running).

Check coolant and power steering fluid levels, adding as necessary. Might even be time to drain and replace those.

I'd also drain/replace the axle lube and manual transmission fluids if those haven't been changed in the last couple of years (I have no idea what sort of pre-tracking service an automatic with 1xx,xxx miles on it might need).

Pull the axle vent fitting and clean it (gasoline works). If it's left clogged (as it probably is), pressure build-up inside the axle from heat and foaming will find its way out at the axle seals.

Norm

07 Boss

Reaction score
Haha. Ok thx. Was just wondering if I had to have the engine checked in anyway.

Just check over the car real good and perform regular all maintenance and you should be good. Check stuff between runs as heat is the enemy and you will build up a lot more heat than normal street driving. BUT, always remember, when racing anything can go wrong and when racing those little things can quickly turn into big things. The important thing is to be safe and have fun.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
You'll love those HD shocks on the track. I had zero body roll in corners. I was taking tight turning on ramps at 80mph on my 275 Nittos. Scared the shit out of myself doing it but it was done.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Thanks guys appreciate all the input. By the way, I changed them shocks and springs about 9 months ago. The car does not bounce up and down so seems like struts good. But since I got lowered springs and the shocks, you guys think I need new struts ? Also I am thinking don't need camber/caster plates cause the car only lowered about 1 inch, does that sound correct? I am always busy at work but will check back later. THANKS again all!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A little lowering will push cambers a little further negative, which is generally a good thing when you're on the track. Assuming you left them there and had the toes reset if necessary, anyway.

Norm

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Tha,all. Great forum and site. Yeah I do all you guys recommended. I guess I'm just a little concerned about tracking her and adding wear and tear since she is also my commuter. I have a really old 1999 Mustang 6 cylinder with 253K that I also commute with but love driving the S197. Haha.

46addict

Reaction score
Thanks guys appreciate all the input. By the way, I changed them shocks and springs about 9 months ago. The car does not bounce up and down so seems like struts good. But since I got lowered springs and the shocks, you guys think I need new struts ? Also I am thinking don't need camber/caster plates cause the car only lowered about 1 inch, does that sound correct? I am always busy at work but will check back later. THANKS again all!

Yes I would change the struts to match the shocks. If the struts are factory original they should be changed at your mileage anyway. I would also drain and refill all fluids like said before and inspect suspension bushings in the front & rear control arms and sway bars/sway bar links. If any of them are dry rotted you need to replace them. Replacing ball joints (or the front control arm assembly for easy removal/replacement) would be a good idea too.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you could run an AutoX or two, you can shake down the suspension before you hit the track. If anything breaks, you're out a lot less money for the event. Once you do commit to a road course event, be prepared to expose any weakness on your car.

I didn't do this, and I missed the entire 2nd day of my initial HPDE (brakes were metal to metal on all four corners). The motor is the easiest part of the car to prepare. Heat is the enemy for all systems and components.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Good advice peeps. BOONE: And yeah I think an autocross is probably a good "lead" in event to test out car. Also, I finally got enough money to get them Billstein HD front struts. I also got some Ford Performance jounce bump stops and Ford GT500 strut mounts. Will stick them on ASAP. Haha...I am excited!

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Update: tracked it a few weeks ago...

CAR HELD UP GREAT!

Oh man...I am addicted! Will be tracking it again in about a month. It was totally fun. :)

Did nearly everything suggested. Thx all!!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
CAR HELD UP GREAT!

Oh man...I am addicted! Will be tracking it again in about a month. It was totally fun. :)

Did nearly everything suggested. Thx all!!

What track/event did you do?

Back