S-197 Retro question/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crap those wheels and tires look great, what setup is that?

edit: found it, 17" new edge spec wheels with 255 rubber... that's why they look so good, no deep dish nastyness that you get with all of the aftermarket bullitt style wheels for the S197.

And WTF: is so nasty about deep dish wheels ? There's a reason for all those aftermarket/deep dish bullitt style wheels for the S197 :loudlol:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a '67, and my '08 was a clear reminder of that car. Plus it more than likely would have driven away from an original Boss 302 (my favorite Mustang all the way up to the introduction of the S197).

Seems like popular opinion I've heard talking to people are...
Facia is 67-68
Fender and door body crease 65-66
C stripe crease in quarters 67-68.
Roofline 65-66 Fastback
Hips (flared out quarter under quarter windows 13-14) 69-70
Tail lights 69-70
Headlights 70 (two horizontal lights on outside of headlights )
Isn't the hood line in side view more like the 71-73?

FWIW I did like the Pinto. Owned a 74 and my Mom had a 79. Despite all the bad press they were a well made car.
That car had a lot of performance potential and was a ball to drive. Mine was a '72.

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a '67, and my '08 was a clear reminder of that car. Plus it more than likely would have driven away from an original Boss 302 (my favorite Mustang all the way up to the introduction of the S197).

Isn't the hood line in side view more like the 71-73?

Yeah I never thought of it that way. thats why I posted this wanted peoples opinions on just that thing. thanks

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe because it tries to look wider than it really is.

Norm

I think it's because high offset wheels look like big fancy hubcaps and dished wheels look like expensive fancy wheels.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just don't like deep dish wheels - at one time I did, but not any more. Maybe it was the import stance scene where people were putting monster cans on the lips and taking photos. That's all!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe because it tries to look wider than it really is.

Norm

I see your point and suppose it depends on the style of wheel and offset :shrug:

I think it's because high offset wheels look like big fancy hubcaps and dished wheels look like expensive fancy wheels.

Once again, it depends on the style of wheel, the size and offset.. For my particular application, I went with a squared 20x9.5" setup with 45mm offset which tucks the wheels inside the fenderwells rather than sticking out past the lip..

I also wanted to pair them with 275/35/20 series tires to reduce the 4x4 appearance gap as well..

I just don't like deep dish wheels - at one time I did, but not any more. Maybe it was the import stance scene where people were putting monster cans on the lips and taking photos. That's all!

I definitely did not want my car looking like some ricer with monster cans, that's for damn sure lol. I wanted a wheel that allows fitting larger 275 series tires, but also still has that classic muscle car look to it and was designed exclusively just for that car.. After doing extensive research comparing several different vendors, I decided in the end that Steeda was my best choice in what I was looking for..

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
I totally agree and also wish that our cars would've included a full fastback greenhouse like the 67-68 models.. IMO the S197's would've looked far more complete :shrug:

I know there has been allot of debate on it. but I still consider my 14 A "Fastback"

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I know there has been allot of debate on it. but I still consider my 14 A "Fastback"

I definitely consider our cars as a fastback.. By comparison they have more in common with the 65-66 2+2 fastback which still featured a horizontal decklid..

However my only complaint, is I wish they would've looked more like the 67-68 fastback models that had sloping rooflines throughout the entire decklid.. Here's some images of Lee Iacocca 45th anniversary 2009 edition and 67-68 fastback..

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 78
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 79
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 75
  • adsc_013.jpg
    adsc_013.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5
  • iacocca-45th-anniversary-edition-mustang-also-comes-in-red_5.jpg
    iacocca-45th-anniversary-edition-mustang-also-comes-in-red_5.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Lee-Iacoccas-45th-Anniversay-Mustang-004.jpg
    Lee-Iacoccas-45th-Anniversay-Mustang-004.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely consider our cars as a fastback.. By comparison they have more in common with the 65-66 2+2 fastback which still featured a horizontal decklid..

However my only complaint, is I wish they would've looked more like the 67-68 fastback models that had sloping rooflines throughout the entire decklid.. Here's some images..

That's what I started this thread for. I agree it seems to have more in common with the 65-66 Fastback. But from what I hear its popular opinion that's its more 67-68. I was blown away when on poster on here said the hood was kinda like a 71. Was driving home that night and looking at it I agree. never saw that before but now that he said that I can see it. I wish the would have put the 71 Mach-1 NACA Hood scoops in though. Take a 05-14. add Mach-1 Hood. they make Mach-1 side mirrors. and make the fastback longer like the 67-68 like you said and that (to me) would be perfection. Although I am extremely happy with my 14 the way it is.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I started this thread for. I agree it seems to have more in common with the 65-66 Fastback. But from what I hear its popular opinion that's its more 67-68. I was blown away when on poster on here said the hood was kinda like a 71. Was driving home that night and looking at it I agree. never saw that before but now that he said that I can see it. I wish the would have put the 71 Mach-1 NACA Hood scoops in though. Take a 05-14. add Mach-1 Hood. they make Mach-1 side mirrors. and make the fastback longer like the 67-68 like you said and that (to me) would be perfection. Although I am extremely happy with my 14 the way it is.

Those 3 images of the Lee Iacocca 45th anniversary edition I posted would've been perfection IMO.. But I do agree with your post with the exception of the hood resembling the 71 model, as I just don't see anything about the 2005-14 models having anything in common with the 71-73 models at all :shrug:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
Those 3 images of the Lee Iacocca 45th anniversary edition I posted would've been perfection IMO.. But I do agree with your post with the exception of the hood resembling the 71 model, as I just don't see anything about the 2005-14 models having anything in common with the 71-73 models at all :shrug:

Sitting in the drivers seat looking out. the line of the hood looks like my dad's 71. minus the mach-1 Hood obviously.

I want a 71 Mach-1 hood style for my 14 but cant find anything.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Not saying that I disagree about the hood lines being similar with the 71-73.. I personally just don't see the resemblance :shrug:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think the 05-09 cars look a lot like the 69-70 mach1. It has the same front end look, the same type of spoiler and the fast back on both cars don't quite go all the way to the back of the car.

The only main difference I see is that the 69-70 mach1 has a hood scoop and most 05-09 Mustangs don't. I added a MMD hood scoop to my car just to complete the mach1 look because they are my favorite classic mustangs.

Uncle Buck

forum member
Reaction score
^^ I'm have the same opinion.

I owned a 69 Mach 1 428SJ back in the 80's and when the 05-09 arrived I thought wow, they did that right, I got to get me one. So I did.

I've played with the idea of selling it a few times but only a tasteful resto mod from 65-70 would be better in my mind and those are pricy.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I love the looks of both of my 2005s.

But the year it reminds me of most is the 65-66 fastback...particularly around the b-pillar--1/4 window area.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think the 05-09 cars look a lot like the 69-70 mach1. It has the same front end look, the same type of spoiler and the fast back on both cars don't quite go all the way to the back of the car.

The only main difference I see is that the 69-70 mach1 has a hood scoop and most 05-09 Mustangs don't. I added a MMD hood scoop to my car just to complete the mach1 look because they are my favorite classic mustangs.

What do you mean the fastback on the 69-70 cars don't go all the way to the back of the car :goofy_batman: I suggest you look again, as they most certainly do go all the way back to the rear decklid.. FYI: the 69-70 fastback models were technically referred to as Sportsroofs..

Attachments

• 1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-rear-view.jpg
    1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-rear-view.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 5
  • fd98eda82b7a43a1468f04c5ffb736df.jpg
    fd98eda82b7a43a1468f04c5ffb736df.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back