Black Wheel Craze ????

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking this might go in the wheel and tire section but I'm not looking for wheel tech. More opinions. I guess I'm old school 80's guy but I don't get the whole black wheel craze. To me it look like u have four spare wheel/tires on. Or you have a real bad brake dust problem.

I know I will be in the minority here but just thought it would fun to hear people's opinions.

For my 14 I want Chrome 2010 style GT-500 Wheels :beer::beer::beer::beer:

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Same here. I have seen very few black wheel / car combos that crank my tractor

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Personal choice...son went with mixed wheels/rims on his 2016 & I like it better that 100% black. I do have black rims on my 2006 Colorado...color is red/black mix so goes with theme.

IMG_0252.JPG

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe it stems from when race cars started running black wheels a few years back.

Black wheels. Because. Race car.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but I understand that in customizing people are always looking for something different to stand out. With that said, OEM's have been outfitting cars and trucks with black wheels for the last three years which tells me they are too mainstream for a lot of rodders and most will be moving on to new color options.

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but I understand that in customizing people are always looking for something different to stand out. With that said, OEM's have been outfitting cars and trucks with black wheels for the last three years which tells me they are too mainstream for a lot of rodders and most will be moving on to new color options.

To Me Classic=Chrome !:headbang:

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I think it's because shiny and chrome have been so popular for so damn long that people are getting tired of it, "me included". I'm not one to go and try to install a matte wrap around my very nice and shiny existing paint, but some of those come out looking very cool too imo.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea who likes black? screw them :p
I agree, I deleted most of the shiny and chrome off my car
zb5tq5w.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chrome belongs on ghetto cruisers, Caddilacs driven by old men, and classic (pre-'79) American Muscle.

The S197 is not classic. It is a modern sports/pony car.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chrome looks like shit.

I disagree. Some colors lend themselves to bright wheels. Like everything else it's a balance of the design look. Too much bright and it looks wrong. Like tacking on 1/4 window covers and rear window louvers and fake hood scoops and side scoops. Too much looks cheap. Windvail Blue, black and Redfire all work well with chrome wheels if done right.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i myself like some part of my rim to have shine to it.

i was thinking about painting the black part of the wheel body color this summer.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I think they can all look nice depending on the look your going for, color of the car and overall theme. My least favorite are the anthracite/gray, it just looks like the wheels are always dirty or dull. Although I have seen some cars it works and looks good on.

The thing that gets me, is the people that clean their cars and wheels but don't dress the tires. For god sakes people! Do something with the dirty, dull, brown freaking tires!! If you don't like shiny tires, fine. They make dressing that isn't shiny, just make them look clean.

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
Black wheels on any car look horrible. The same with plasti-dipped emblems, etc. I have Boss 302 LS wheels on my 14 GT. They look good enough, but they're more for function over form.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate chrome wheels but I like polished and very few all black. I prefer a balance between polished and black.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl,

Those do look Awesome on your's ^^^

T.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back