OBDLink scan tools

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/

Has anyone here tried one of these? I'd like a scan tool I can use on all my cars and one that will easily check all the emissions readiness monitors. This looks like it would work well and the application on the phone seems nice.

The WIFI version is out of the question unfortunately because it has connectivity problems. The MX version supports "Ford MS-CAN networks in addition to standard OBD-II protocols" but I'm not sure that is needed with a 2014 car. The LX model is cheaper but I don't know if it would work or not.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the Bluetooth MX from OBD Link. It's awesome, especially with the Torque app. I use it for gauges all the time. It also runs emissions tests, clears codes, and does some basic data logging.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I use the BAFX 34t5 for Android scan tool. It's $22 on Amazon. Use it in combination with the above mentioned Torque app. I have used it on both my Fords and her Nissan. Plus I use it on friends' cars to read codes, clear CEL/MIL, to help them not get taken when taking the car in for repairs.

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
I have the MX Wifi (Needed to work with IOS), works great. While i can second that there is connectivity issues, How severe is purely user based. When i first got it i had major frustrations, would only connect about 1/20 times and would cut-out in the middle of driving sometimes. Unknown to me, i had it setup in the wrong mode, and a suggestion from someone at work who had a lower end one said if you can't connect- instead of trying to re-connect, pull it out and re-install. Long story short now that i have it set-up correct it connects first go 90% of the time and if it doesn't i simply reach down, pull it out to the point it loses power, push it back in and it'll connect right away.

I use DashCommand for an app, Mainly because i have an AppRadio so i can pull DashCommand up on that and cycle through every feature it has. Useful for monitoring IAT's, Fuel pressure, etc, if you don't want your pillar to look like it's out of the fast and the furious. Out of the box it supports the generic OBD2 only, the Ford MS-CAN add-on is an additional 9$ i believe

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
All the negativity in the amazon reviews for the MX wifi were what kind of turned me off to it. I think the fact it supports IOS and Android both are a big plus.

I suppose I could take a chance on it and if I can't figure out how to get it to hold a connection send it back. Amazon does have a pretty good return policy.

EDIT:

It doesn't look like you can get the Torque app on the iphone. :(

Last edited:

stpete

Reaction score
I plan to get AutoEnginuity Ford bundle in the next month or so. It seems to be the default for all the Powerstroke guys and I also have a 7.3 PSD to maintain. I contacted them and it does at least do the brake bleeding stuff on the Mustang, I suspect it does most everything else also. Riff Raff diesel has a pretty good price on the Ford bundle if anyone is interested in comparing it to other options.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Wanting IOS support throws a virtual wrench in the works. Damn Apple. Bluetooth scan tools for the most part don't work with it.

I got the OBDLink MX Wi-Fi off amazon. If I can't get it to be at least 90% reliable as far as connectivity goes I'll send it back. If I like it I may end up getting DashCommand at some point down the road.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Might be able to improve the odds of success by turning OFF all other apps on the iPhone before connecting.

Also: Google Pixel FTW. :p

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Wanting IOS support throws a virtual wrench in the works. Damn Apple. Bluetooth scan tools for the most part don't work with it.

I got the OBDLink MX Wi-Fi off amazon. If I can't get it to be at least 90% reliable as far as connectivity goes I'll send it back. If I like it I may end up getting DashCommand at some point down the road.

I have the Wifi one and it works great on my iPhone. Try to stay away from any bluetooth shit on the iPhone

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread here.

This MX WiFi has worked well when I used it with the iphone. With my nexus 6p on android 7.1.2 it is god awful. Getting the scan tool to connect with the phone is difficult. And even when I've been able to do that the OBDLink application and also Torque refuse to connect with it. I gave up after 45 minutes of frustration this evening. Got out the iphone and it worked fine.

Going to give it another try after I factory reset the scan tool. If I still have problems I'm going to see if the vendor will let me exchange for the bluetooth version. I suspect that will work better with the android phone.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back