Over torqued spark plugs?

JrS197

Reaction score
So today i bought new plugs to replace the old ones but when i went to loosen them they were too tight i put a lot of pressure on the ratchet but nothing happened. Then i decided to get my torque wrench and i put around 65 ft lb of pressure on it and it started to move a little but it made a scrunching sound so i stopped and went to turn it again and they are still really tight on there. i turned the ratchet counterclockwise, are plugs different than most bolts in turning clockwise or counter clockwise? New to working on my car by myself so new to this.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Righty-tighty and lefty-loosey.

What year is your car? The 05-early 08 had the funky spark plugs which can break.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot, on your other thread did you say you own an 07? Is it a gt? If so the 05-07s had a two piece design spark plug which gets stuck in the head and can break. Its common for them to screech and be hard to remove. My recommendation is to spray them down with penetrating oil and let sit overnight before trying to remove them. You still might break one or two but that happens.

If you dont have a gt and are worried about putting too much pressure on them to remove them then dont worry about it. You can still use penetrating oil to help but its ok if theyre hard to remove. Now over torqueing them to put them in, thats another story...

JrS197

Reaction score
I have a 05 gt. But if they brake how would i take them out? I did spray them with wd40 and have left it stiting there for about 30min now but i will follow your advice on overnight thing

Also i bought the ford motocraft plugs to replace the ones in the car right now. Should i just run those or return them and get different ones and which ones, dont really know much about spark plugs

Last edited by a moderator:

FangStang

Reaction score
My advice comes from reading many articles on changing these plugs on a 4.6L. First try to loosen the plugs about an 1/8 of a turn. The screeching and cracking noise is the carbon buildup on the shaft of the electrode. This is normal! After all the plugs are loosened, spray a good amount of WD40, or other penetrating oil into the plug hole and allow to seep in overnight.(This will help soften the carbon deposits on the plug.) The next day, use steady firm pressure to unscrew the plug. Sounds awful while you are removing them... but I had no trouble getting them out in one piece. Hope this helps!
Below you can see how the penetrating oil helped clean the plugs by dissolving the carbon off of them before removal...

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 12

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Search, this is such a disccsued topic.

JrS197

Reaction score
So i went back to try it one more and all but 2 were pretty easy to get an 1/8 of a turn but just to be safe a put some wd40 and going to let it sit overnight.

Thanks guys for help

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Do you have any automatic transmission fluid? WD-40 pretty much sucks. Dribble a little ATF in the spark plug holes.

Also, many mechanics and others have had very good results using an impact to remove these plugs. Those who use this method swear by it.

If a plug breaks, you will need to buy the spark plug removal tool/kit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ4FSN6/ref=psdc_15708921_t1_B00267PZUK

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone breaks down the carbon pretty well

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I borrowed a Lisle spark plug removal tool from a fellow member a couple years back. Theyre a little pricey but worth it.

Op, I had bought ford racing plugs to replace the stockers but was shocked to see that half of them had the porcelain loose and covering the electrode. I returned them and got the 1 piece brisk racing plugs. I highly recommend them since they are a 1 piece design since they wont break in the head.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I believe the official procedure is to soak them in carb cleaner, not penetrating oil at first.

JrS197

Reaction score
Spark plugs loose but not coming out

So i was replacing my spark plugs, i was able to remove 4 just fine but the other 4 wont come out. They are completely loosened but the socket cant or wont pull them out. Any ideas why and how to get them out?
Thanks

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
You dont need to keep making threads about the same problem. It clutters up the forum.

Are they turning? If they just keep turning but wont come out them most likely theyre broken and need to be extracted via the Lisle tool 07boss posted.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Search, this is such a disccsued topic.

did you do this?

I bet not, because if you did you'd now that you're probably at the point that the plugs are likely broken................. and you'll need to do this.....

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13432

You dont need to keep making threads about the same problem. It clutters up the forum.

Are they turning? If they just keep turning but wont come out them most likely theyre broken and need to be extracted via the Lisle tool 07boss posted.

agreed and merged...

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So i was replacing my spark plugs, i was able to remove 4 just fine but the other 4 wont come out. They are completely loosened but the socket cant or wont pull them out. Any ideas why and how to get them out?
Thanks

Yep, its time for the tool!

JrS197

Reaction score
I dont feel like spending that much for the tool.... is it possible to tighten them back up and drive it a nearby shop (5miles) or would it be too risky in damaging the internals?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Tow it, or get the tool. But the tool is MUCH cheaper than having a shop do it.

Could find a place that rents it or a person here may have that'll rent it out

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont feel like spending that much for the tool.... is it possible to tighten them back up and drive it a nearby shop (5miles) or would it be too risky in damaging the internals?

:thud:

07 Boss

Reaction score

Just crank the motor over and use the compression to shoot the broken pieces right out of there.

I guess I shouldn't leave this here with out a disclaimer:
Though sound in theory, do not use this method to clear out broken spark plugs

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back