What's the best way to get off a stuck brake rotor?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Started taking my front brakes apart to work on the S550 brake swap.

Passenger side rotor came right off, but the driver's side one looks like it's rusted on there good and won't budge.. I sprayed some PB blaster around the flange and into the space around the wheel studs where I could, but what's the best option here? Heat the face around the studs with a propane torch and hit it with a mallet, or what?

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Probably gunna need more heat than propane torch can provide, I usually use an oxy acetalyn torch and get the rotor nice and red then give it a couple smacks with a mallet.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Get a big hammer and smack it. I've never needed heat to get a rotor off. Don't use a shitty little roofing hammer or anything.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem on an old jeep I had a few years ago. I used my good ole harbor freight special five pound sledge to knock it off the hub

dans08gt

the white ghost
Reaction score
Go on you-tube and search stuck rotor. Had the same problem with my 2012 F-150. All the heat and hitting it with a hammer didn't work. Used a couple of jacking screws and pushed it out from behind. The most easiest way to get it off.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go on you-tube and search stuck rotor. Had the same problem with my 2012 F-150. All the heat and hitting it with a hammer didn't work. Used a couple of jacking screws and pushed it out from behind. The most easiest way to get it off.

I've worked on cars before that had a separate threaded hole in the face of the rotor exclusively for this (and IMO all rotors should be made that way). How can you do it on these ones though?

Anyway, I wasn't sure about breaking out the BFH because I didn't want to risk cracking or breaking the rotor just in case I still needed it.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Use the caliper mounting holes, a long bolt or two, and a couple nuts

That'll leverage it from behind

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
after you get the rotor off. don't forget to clean up the oxidation on the hub where it meets the rotor then a light coat of antiseze lube. if you don't do this chances are the rotor will be even harder to remove next time.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Use the caliper mounting holes, a long bolt or two, and a couple nuts

That'll leverage it from behind

These. I had the same problem. Went to youTube, found the video and worked super well and super fast.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The jacking screw method worked like a charm. I think the PB Blaster helped start on the rust but once I put some pressure on it with the bolt it popped right off.

Thanks fellas.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to help. Saw the same video a bit back and seemed to be easier then just hammering away at it

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 10lb sledge for getting rotors off.

Assuming I don't care about the rotor any more.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to help. Saw the same video a bit back and seemed to be easier then just hammering away at it

Never seen that way done before. Might try it next time, but smacking the hell out of them is a good stress reliever if you are replacing the rotors anyways.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I tried using a 5 pound sledge hammer on my front rotor a few months ago and it still wouldn't budge. Bought a couple longer bolts and used the jacking method and it popped right off. One of the best little tricks I've learned through YouTube.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Well, as I stated before, the BFH method has worked for me in the past, but my curiosity got to me, and I had to see what you guys were talking about. This really is a great tip that I had not thought of/known about. And I'm sure it's easier on your rotors than the BFH, if you plan on re-using them.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think a steady, even pressure like you can apply with the bolt is better than the quick, sharp blow of a hammer. Of course, sometimes putting pressure on something and then whacking it with a hammer can be the difference between getting it loose and not, also (been in that situation too).

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure if you plan on returning using the rotor. Have something solid between the bolt and the rotor or else you'll scar the surface

Back