S197 A Fastback ? Opinions needed.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
No its not. Last thread I wanted to know what features of The S197 resembled what 65-73 Mustangs?

This one is "Do you consider the S197 a "Fastback"

no. its not the same

So isn't the 65-66 fastback

Although the 65-66 fastback has a flat/level trunklid like the S197.. The trailing edge of the rear glass isn't parallel nor integrated with the trunk, it's above it.. Where as the trailing edge of the rear glass of the S197 is integrated with the trunklid.. So from that point of view, the 65-66 would be considered more of a fastback than the S197, which is more than likely one of the reasons Ford refers to the S197 as a coupe rather than a fastback.. By comparison, the 65-66 fastback would also seem to share more in common with the current S550 over the S197 as well..

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
LOL. Exactly

Technically, here's the definition of "coupe" which doesn't touch on fastback or notchback.

coupe1
ko͞op/ (noun)
1. A car with a fixed roof and two doors.

You also can't have more than 33 cubic feet of interior cargo space. Regardless of number of doors, having more than 33 cubic feet by definition is considered a sedan.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
The S197s have a flat trunklid so I wouldn't call it a fastback. The Iacocca tribute is the only true fastback I've seen.

On a sidenote it's interesting to me that fastbacks from 65-70 are eaten up like a fat kid eating cake, but notchbacks/coupes are more popular with fox bodies.

The first gen fastbacks are more rare than the coupes. 1968 year 233,000 coupes to 33,000 fastbacks. The limited production is what I believe makes the early fastbacks so hot right now. I prefer the look of the first gen coupe over the fastback.

That may have more to do with the notch fox being lighter for racing purposes, rather than for the styling.

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'd take a Fox notch over a GT/LX based on looks any day of the week. I've ever only seen about 5 in person. GT/LX's on the other hand were all over the place.

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
It's a coupe imitating a fastback.

This.

The rear of the 05-09's is definitely alluding to the 65/66 fastbacks on the outside, but on the inside, the early fastbacks had a rear seat and package tray area that was quite a bit different than the coupes. The rear interior of the s197 is all coupe, even with the Boss LS seat delete.

Technicalities aside, my Bullitt's a fastback.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
This.

The rear of the 05-09's is definitely alluding to the 65/66 fastbacks on the outside, but on the inside, the early fastbacks had a rear seat and package tray area that was quite a bit different than the coupes. The rear interior of the s197 is all coupe, even with the Boss LS seat delete.

Technicalities aside, my Bullitt's a fastback.

The rear interior of the current S550 is also all coupe, however according to Ford, the S550 is officially considered as a fastback, including on the window sticker..

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Then technically the s550 is a fastback and the s197 isn't.

According to Ford, Yes ! However as far as I'm concerned, the S197 is a fastback even though the trailing edge of the rear glass section ends at the decklid like a coupe.. The profile is still never the less that of a fastback..

IMHO a traditional coupe is considered as a notchback, in which the S197 clearly is not..

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
The guy just wants to talk to fellow enthusiasts about styling cues that interest him. Any intelligent discussion is good discussion and I cannot fault him for wanting that.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that at all J B :waytogo: I do however on the other hand think this thread is a continuation of the OP's S197 retro theme thread and should therefore be merged into one thread :shrug:

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
I agree on the merge. They are very similar topics.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
The rear interior of the current S550 is also all coupe, however according to Ford, the S550 is officially considered as a fastback, including on the window sticker..
I need to check my window sticker. IIRC my 14 sticker had 2+2 on it somewhere. Isn't that what they called the early fastbacks?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
tend to agree, damn newbies......

:thud:

So just merge this thread with the OP's S197 Retro question/opinions thread, as their similar topics to begin with anyhow :shrug:

I need to check my window sticker. IIRC my 14 sticker had 2+2 on it somewhere. Isn't that what they called the early fastbacks?

Yes ! The early 65-66 fastback models were referred to by Ford as 2+2 fastback models.. As for your 14, I don't know as to whether or not the window stickers include 2+2 on them.. I do know the window sticker on my 06 GT is listed as 2006 GT Coupe Premium 4 Passenger Specialty.. So who really knows what Ford is referring to as in Specialty :shrug:

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah I take Ford's designation of body styles and anniversary years with a huge grain of salt. T-Red's explanation of the trailing edge of the rear glass in relation to the decklid line is one that makes the most sense when deciding whether the car is a fastback or not.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back