New guy with an issue

teeje

Reaction score
Well, hello forum. Recently sold my jeep liberty and got a 2008 mustang gt stick shift and I love it. However I'm trying to tackle a trunk leak. Found a leak at the third tail light and sealed that up as well as the spoiler bolts just to be safe. Also hopped on the trunk and had the girl spray it down to confirm the tail light is where it was coming from. Being that I changed the oil today I'm also going to seal the nuts that go onto the tail light. I removed the tail light and didn't find any rust or cracks to let water in also I am going to seal the rubber grommets. I still am finding some water in the rear driver side by the quarter panel.

Well nice to be here and hopefully I'll come to love this forum. Here's my new baby. She loves being clean too ;)

1f19ca149a195b8052aa5fc698605853.jpg
5a84d89a56ff57e2d3ba107835c12169.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
No tips for the leak, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some help. Welcome to the forum.

teeje

Reaction score
No tips for the leak, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some help. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you. I just took out the spare and sealed every grommet I could find. Found water coming in from the vent too. Sealed that up also.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
There are two seals located on location pins for the rear bumper cover that are on the left and right sides. These seals dry-rot and deteriorate over the years allowing water to enter the trunk and collect at the back of the rear wheel well areas.

This photo is of the passenger side of the trunk and the location pins are outboard and down from the tail light location. You can remove the bumper cover and install new seals as well as add non-hardening automotive seam sealer around the pins. No more leaks!

i-MXwPdbt-XL.jpg

Good luck!

teeje

Reaction score
There are two seals located on location pins for the rear bumper cover that are on the left and right sides. These seals dry-rot and deteriorate over the years allowing water to enter the trunk and collect at the back of the rear wheel well areas.

This photo is of the passenger side of the trunk and the location pins are outboard and down from the tail light location. You can remove the bumper cover and install new seals as well as add non-hardening automotive seam sealer around the pins. No more leaks!

i-MXwPdbt-XL.jpg

Good luck!
Thank ya much. I'll do that tomorrow after I get my tooth fixed ..hopefully...

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I thought my trunk was leaking one time. What was happening is if the car was recently wet, it rained, ect, in the last few days. When the trunk lid is open water drains out the top of the faux gas cap. Then the water runs down both sides of the trunk and falls off the edges between the tail lights. It falls on each side of the floor in front of the taillights.

Now I'm not sure if this is happening in your case. I do seem to always have a wet spot inside the trunk in the passenger, corner, back, side area. Have you figured this one out yet.

I can also tell you that water drains through the tail light housing in front of the lights. So it was a good idea to seal those bolt holes. I would also imagine its possible for water to run down the wires. Probably why ford has that funky caulking stuff wrapped in tape covering the wires were the wires meet the grommet.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score

i-MXwPdbt-XL.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks for this

teeje

Reaction score
Well, I have fixed the issue it seems. I ended up not having to do what oldVOR said (nonetheless I'm stl gonna do it) what I did to solve it is just seal all the bolts for the taillights, spoiler and the Sirius antenna. Also, I took a hose and sprayed the bumper. I found that water was passing through the vent. I took one screw out (just enough to pull the bumper back to get the vent out) tool out the vent, ran a bead of sealant on it, put it back in and ran a bead along the bottom of that rubber flap looking thing. It wasn't a huge leak, but enough for it to pool where it was over time. 3 days and trunk is dry. Oh, I also popped out the third brake light and ran a bead if sealant on it as well. So far so good

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I have fixed the issue it seems. I ended up not having to do what oldVOR said (nonetheless I'm stl gonna do it) what I did to solve it is just seal all the bolts for the taillights, spoiler and the Sirius antenna. Also, I took a hose and sprayed the bumper. I found that water was passing through the vent. I took one screw out (just enough to pull the bumper back to get the vent out) tool out the vent, ran a bead of sealant on it, put it back in and ran a bead along the bottom of that rubber flap looking thing. It wasn't a huge leak, but enough for it to pool where it was over time. 3 days and trunk is dry. Oh, I also popped out the third brake light and ran a bead if sealant on it as well. So far so good

Nicely done

teeje

Reaction score
Looks like I was wrong. I had a small hole in the seam sealer. Turned the lights off in the garage (had the rear carpet out obviously) put a bright led light under the car and saw light shining through. Quick tip for anyone else. Also, if that doesn't work, you can take some baby powder, put it in the suspected area and spray water, you'll see where it's coming in.

Turns out I was wrong again. Removed the taillight and there was a crack in the seam sealer. Fixed now..i think
6b8055900fea4615d88d8630efee6a20.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back