Studs snapped off fender / bumper

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Morning folks,

Yesterday I was removing the bumper to install my new heat exchanger when both of the studs on my driver on the fender side, snapped off.

It's the one that holds the bumper up againsts the fender behind the splash guard with 2 10 MM using the bumper side bracket.

Do I just cut the rest of the bolts off and drill out the stud and drop some new hardware in or is there another process?

Thanks you for your input!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good enough solution. Don't figure they have studs that replace it. Just get some stainless bolt and nut, maybe epoxy the bolt to the fender to make it easier to work with

teeje

Reaction score
I would just do what you said. Although JB weld will work, drilling a hole and putting a bolt in would be a quicker solution. You don't have to wait for the stuff to dry.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would not rely on JB weld to fix new hardware to the fender... a spot weld would. I believe the heads would be accessible when reinstalling the bumper cover.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with the drilling and new bolt if the head and nut is accessible after the bumper cover is installed. However I have had bad luck with stainless threads galling. I use stainless bolts with zinc nuts to prevent galling. Even using anti-seize sometimes results in galling threads. Good Luck.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Thanks, folks, just needed some reassurance if there was another method I may not have thought of.

Going to grind the remainder dust, punch them out or drill if needed. And just drop a 10mm bolt down.

SS bolt with zinc nut? that what I was looking for, I am not familiar with the material type. I know there 2 material you cannot put together or they start to rust.

Once again, thanks, guys (y)

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Had the same issue on the kids car. We just drilled them out and used zinc hardware. Goid luck.

danzcool

Reaction score
You know that is just a small bracket right? I had the same issue a few years ago, body shop broke one of the bolts when putting a new bumper on and tried to play it off when I complained about the gap. I did drill it out and put in a stainless bolt, but ended up replacing the bracket as it still didn't fit quite right, turns out the bracket bent a bit in the process. I think it's only 3 bolts total per bracket.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I've been through a couple of them. I originally got aftermarket replacements which were thinner and cheaply made and they would rust out super fast and easily break. Went back to FORD OEM and it's been holding on better.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
You know that is just a small bracket right? I had the same issue a few years ago, body shop broke one of the bolts when putting a new bumper on and tried to play it off when I complained about the gap. I did drill it out and put in a stainless bolt, but ended up replacing the bracket as it still didn't fit quite right, turns out the bracket bent a bit in the process. I think it's only 3 bolts total per bracket.

Oh o.0 I did not know this..
Let me go see if it the same part in my car that I googled and I will more likely just order a new set!
Thanks a lot, I thought I would have to replace the whole fender.

05_on_94

Reaction score
Oh o.0 I did not know this..
Let me go see if it the same part in my car that I googled and I will more likely just order a new set!
Thanks a lot, I thought I would have to replace the whole fender.
I just bought new ones as well from ford.
2c9a5876809eb99ea8e6b8d08e00d91a.jpg

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
do you know where I can get the nut w/ washer from?
Or what they are called.
I just contacted my local forum dealer hopefully we can get me them in Canada for cheap.

Yup I rather replace the entire bracket then just drill and drop a bolt in!

I got chin spoiler, and a splitter so it heavy! I rather it be supported correctly!

05_on_94

Reaction score
do you know where I can get the nut w/ washer from?
Or what they are called.
I just contacted my local forum dealer hopefully we can get me them in Canada for cheap.

Yup I rather replace the entire bracket then just drill and drop a bolt in!

I got chin spoiler, and a splitter so it heavy! I rather it be supported correctly!
I couldn't find those nuts at the ford dealer. I just used regular 10mm nuts with the same thread size with flat washers. I paid $30 for one 2 years ago.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
you can buy the nut at a quality hardware store, at least in the US you can. it's just a nut with a encapsulated washer. if not at a hardware store a body shop supply store will have them. or just stop by a local body shop and buy some from them.
take the broken nut AND the new bracket with you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back