Oil Stained Driveway

07 Boss

Reaction score
Not sure where to ask this so feel free to move it wherever it goes. I have a brick/concrete paver driveway that has some oil staining. My HOA sent me a notice about it even though I don't think it's that bad. Anyways I was going to use this Krud Kutter product along with a pressure washer. Does anyone have any magic elixir that might work better in removing these stains? And then any recommendations on a good sealer?

Amazon.com: Krud Kutter KK012 Clear Original Concentrated Cleaner Degreaser/Stain Remover with No Odor, 1 Gallon: Home Improvement

Pictures which show the driveway but not the stains just so we know what kind of driveway we are dealing with.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Aren't HOA's wonderful?

I grew up in my dad's service station. Of all the products available on the market, he used powdered Tide laundry soap to clean the shop floors. I realize today's laundry detergents don't work as well or contain the same ingredients but it might be worth a shot.

Krud Kutter is good stuff as well, similar to Simple Green. I don't think anythin g will work perfectly but they should reduce the stains enough to get the HOA off your ass.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aren't HOA's wonderful?

FUCK HOA's!!!! Never again.

High temperature pressure washer would probably do it. Scrub with dish soap since it is designed to break up oils and fats. Rewash.

Dawn says it's good for ducks. So probably work on bricks too.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
My HOA is not that bad and aren't nazis about the rules. They let me let me fly my Marine Corps flag even though the American flag is all that is allowed. I also get away with my Raiders Flag up but I only fly it when they are actually playing so it is never up for more than a day.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
The Tide powder still works as does Dawn. I never had much luck with Simple Green on stains. Once you've mitigated the stains, use a concrete/brick sealer to minimize future stain cleanup.

Always ask about HOA's when you look at a new home/neighborhood.

Several places we looked at were very restrictive regarding vehicles; no vehicles parked on the street or in the driveway over-night and no vehicle maintenance performed outside the confines of the garage were the worst we noted.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
In our garage we use a product that is a powder, goes on orange and as soon as you apply some water it turns green. You scrub it, let it set and rinse. Once a year we use a pressure washer with it and all stains come out. I'll find the name and report back tomorrow.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Dawn dishwashing soap + pressure washer should do it...start at lower pressure to ensure you don't make "clean" marks and end up having to zap entire driveway. Once all is correct color, might be a good idea to get quality clear dw sealer and spray it on (coat surface) with deck sprayer. That's what I did...everything beads on surface.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Before you seal the driveway make sure the HOA is ok with you doing it.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
^^^True^^^

I did the clear so it's still concrete-look, but neighbor did the grey stuff & looks horrible (cheap). Luckily our HOA's pretty chill too...unlike others.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I'll never understand the idea living in a place that has people telling me what I can and cannot do on my own land

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand the idea living in a place that has people telling me what I can and cannot do on my own land

Me Three! Last thing my life needs is more government style BS.

For the stains, I use whatever powdered laundry detergent I have around, a squirt of sunlight dish soap, and maybe some oxy-clean or whatever the wife has in the cupboards and scrub it in with a stiff bristled brush. Let it sit for a while and spray it off.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are definitely pluses and minuses to HOA's. On paper, being part of a HOA looks like a lot of good idea's to many people. But the reality can vary wildly. The HOA board is only as good as the group that is running it. Lot's of people let their perceived power go to their heads and act like little Hitler's. I'm sure some HOA's are good. my one experience with a HOA soured me to them all.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I wanna see how bad this stain is! And I would pressure wash it a bit and call it a day.

In college I used to go see my parents and do oil changes in their driveway. Neighbors got all pissy about one drop of oil on the ground. I just ignored it

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
There are definitely pluses and minuses to HOA's. On paper, being part of a HOA looks like a lot of good idea's to many people. But the reality can vary wildly. The HOA board is only as good as the group that is running it. Lot's of people let their perceived power go to their heads and act like little Hitler's. I'm sure some HOA's are good. my one experience with a HOA soured me to them all.

I am not a fan of our HOA. They have given me a few nasty grams over the years over little things, like leaving the trash can in view from the street for more than a day. They are on me now to paint my fence, but in fairness, it does need it.

I admit that they do keep the riff-raff from junking up the neighborhood, and I do appreciate that. Whenever I drive through neighborhoods that do not have an HOA, where anything goes, I can't believe the crap that some people put in their yards, on the streets, etc., and it does make me not hate my HOA as much.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back