2005 vs 2013 - Any wheel differences?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm running '11 or '12 brembo wheels on my '08. No spacing differences. '13-14 is still a S197 chassis. Can't speak of S550 wheels on a S197, but I suspect they fit as well.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I'm running '11 or '12 brembo wheels on my '08. No spacing differences. '13-14 is still a S197 chassis. Can't speak of S550 wheels on a S197, but I suspect they fit as well.
Sweet. It seems like the only thing I have to worry about is TPMS. Does it just disable if it doesn't see sensors, or am I gonna have a dummy light? I know when they weren't setup right on my winter tires, I had a light. They needed to be "relearned". I'm guessing it's probably too much to ask for the car to know there are none present at all, and just not set a light... lol.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
YES. All the same on standard brake setup.

NOTE EXCEPTION - Brembo setups will fit on standard setups but standard setups will not fit on Brembo front Brake setups.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
2015+ will fit on at least a '13, however, lug nuts will not, nor will TPMS. Bring your current over and you should be set.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Any tips on dealing the TPMS nonsense? From what I read, Al Gore and Obama aren't necessarily gonna hunt me down... but it doesn't seem like there's really a way to disable it. My commute is 30 miles each way, so it's guaranteed to come on at least two times a day. That shit drove me batshit crazy when I first got my winter tires. I'm not sure I could swap them without knowing I could get rid of the idiot light on the dash. On top of all that, it takes over the screen on my radio with an illustration of the car with red tires, just in case you didn't see the light on the dash.

Looks like my plans are spoiled, lol. In case someone has figured out how to get rid of the warning.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
i see that the 2007-09 sensors are a different part number than 2010-2014. Is it safe to assume that the ultimate issue is that you cannot reprogram the sensors to the earlier car?

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
YES. All the same on standard brake setup.

NOTE EXCEPTION - Brembo setups will fit on standard setups but standard setups will not fit on Brembo front Brake setups.

Sometimes.

There are plenty of 18" wheels that will clear the 4-piston Brembos.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i see that the 2007-09 sensors are a different part number than 2010-2014. Is it safe to assume that the ultimate issue is that you cannot reprogram the sensors to the earlier car?

This is correct.

Not having sensors will display the TPMS light on the gauge cluster and show the message TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM FAULT on the digital display.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes.

There are plenty of 18" wheels that will clear the 4-piston Brembos.

Agreed. They will be specified as such in the specifications 99 out of 100. Spent a lot of time searching for wheels last year. I sought out wheels that did not provide the brembo brake clearance so that the front wheels didn't look like they were sitting on 3 inch spacers. Had that with a set of TSW Valencia 18's which would have cleared front Brembos with no issues. Hated the look. Got rid of them.

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can't speak of S550 wheels on a S197, but I suspect they fit as well.

S550's bolt right up with standard brakes and fit more or less like factory (backspacing is only 4mm different). The 19's I got won't clear Brembos without at least a 3/8" spacer. I suspect they are probably all like that, since the S550 has a taller "hat" on the rotor hub, meaning the wheels probably have less clearance for brakes on the backside since they don't need to have it.

On the plus side, the lug holes are large enough on the S550 wheels that you can run extended thread lug nuts no problem, so the spacers aren't as big of a deal.

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can, or buy the stem mounted sensors. I bought universal bands on Rock auto and moved my OE sensors into my new wheels, worked perfect.

I bought a set of stem mounted aftermarket sensors for my explorer and I can't get them to program. I hate the TPMS system, it sucks for anyone with more than 1 set of wheels and tires for different seasons.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere you can retrofit TPMS onto most wheels with some sort of band. Is that true?

I don't know why not, if your vehicle uses band-style TPMS. I did that on my Ranger, I bought American Racing wheels for it, a place on ebay was selling new bands, cradles and OE Ford sensors so I just bought the whole set and the tire shop put them on the wheels.

If you do go this route you have to get the Ford TPMS tool (around $30) to sync the sensors with your vehicle. Again, had to do that on my Ranger, apparently there is no self-learning functionality there.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If/when I get another Mustang new enough to have TPMS I will pull all four sensors and drop them into a 6" long capped on both ends PCV pipe with a schrader valve. Pressurize and stick it in the trunk.

If you can' take care of your tire pressures, you shouldn't have a vehicle.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
You can, or buy the stem mounted sensors. I bought universal bands on Rock auto and moved my OE sensors into my new wheels, worked perfect.

I bought a set of stem mounted aftermarket sensors for my explorer and I can't get them to program. I hate the TPMS system, it sucks for anyone with more than 1 set of wheels and tires for different seasons.
Is the stem mounted sensors not working a common thing? I hate TPMS, too. It's government regulation at it's worst. As for switching wheels/tires, the place I go to in Peyton, CO takes care of anything related to changing between the two sets for free, twice a year. As long as you've purchased a set of tires from them, they do the mounting and balancing (if you only have one set of wheels), and/or re-syncing the TPMS sensors.

I don't know why not, if your vehicle uses band-style TPMS. I did that on my Ranger, I bought American Racing wheels for it, a place on ebay was selling new bands, cradles and OE Ford sensors so I just bought the whole set and the tire shop put them on the wheels.

If you do go this route you have to get the Ford TPMS tool (around $30) to sync the sensors with your vehicle. Again, had to do that on my Ranger, apparently there is no self-learning functionality there.
Any idea how much that will run me? Can I reuse anything from the 19" wheels I currently have on the 2013 (that I intend to put on the 05 after I steal those wheels/tires)?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
If/when I get another Mustang new enough to have TPMS I will pull all four sensors and drop them into a 6" long capped on both ends PCV pipe with a schrader valve. Pressurize and stick it in the trunk.

I think that very same suggestion was made in another thread I read. Must've been you.

Would that even work? How far do the sensors reach?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I think there's an issue with the lack of motion with them. I looked into doing it for mine and didn't bother to pursue it.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much that will run me? Can I reuse anything from the 19" wheels I currently have on the 2013 (that I intend to put on the 05 after I steal those wheels/tires)?

Am I understanding your original post- you want to take the 19" wheels off your '13, and put them on your '05? But not swapping anything onto the '13?

If that's the case, you don't have anything to worry about unless you want the sensors out of the '13's wheels. The '05 has no TPMS (it was government mandated starting in '08).

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the '13 sensors can chime in if you have questions about those- if they use the valve stem style semsors I have not dealt with those, just the older band style. Regardless of the style you have to take the tire off the rim to remove or replace them.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Am I understanding your original post- you want to take the 19" wheels off your '13, and put them on your '05? But not swapping anything onto the '13?

If that's the case, you don't have anything to worry about unless you want the sensors out of the '13's wheels. The '05 has no TPMS (it was government mandated starting in '08).

Maybe someone with more knowledge of the '13 sensors can chime in if you have questions about those- if they use the valve stem style semsors I have not dealt with those, just the older band style. Regardless of the style you have to take the tire off the rim to remove or replace them.
I currently have 18s on the 2005 that I want to put on the 2013. I like those wheels/tires better, and wouldn't want to buy new ones if I can just get those to work on the 2013, and throw the 19s that came with the 2013 on the 2005.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back