Aftermarket Radiators... whatcha got?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron... I may call him, but I was hoping to get it locally here. The install is in 2 days.

So I take it you don't have the actual part number of what you got?

no i did it all over the phone. he can ship it to you in 1 day. just ask him for it. any part number i had woulda been in a pm over there and u kno what happened with pms there

he can get u the part number though i bet

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
don

i am 90% sure this is it. 11-13 bucks

3U2Z-14S411-BJA

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I started on the radiator and heat exchanger swap today. To make things easy, I took the front fascia off the car, drained the fluids, changed the oil, and started removing parts. It's getting plenty warm in the garage now, so I'm going to take a break for the afternoon. I need to make a run to the parts store anyway, so I may do some more later tonight when it cools off a little.

Anyway here are a few pics so far:

Front fascia safely in house (ignore my granddaughters mess)

DSC00281.JPG

Disassembly in process

DSC00283.JPG

Side by side comparison of KB heat exchanger and Gords.
The KB measures 26-3/4 x 5-7/8 x 1-5/8. The Gords is 30-3/4 x 6-1/4 x 2-3/8. If you calculate and compare the "volume" of the two, the Gord's is almost 80% larger.

DSC00295.JPG

DSC00297.JPG

DSC00299.JPG

Comparison of KB intercooler pump (on right) to new replacement pump.

DSC00303.JPG

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, is that a cool box or a hyperbaric chamber? Thanks for the pics, I looking to do this mod too. I am most interested in how everything fits, I am betting it is going to be pretty tight.

don_w

Reaction score
Wow, is that a cool box or a hyperbaric chamber? Thanks for the pics, I looking to do this mod too. I am most interested in how everything fits, I am betting it is going to be pretty tight.
There was a lot of extra space around the KB heat exchanger (see pics below), so I'm hoping that it fits nice and easy. I'm more worried about the new radiator fitting, than the HE. haha.

Passenger side, end view

DSC00289.JPG

Driver's side, top view

DSC00291.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
Dammit... The whole project just ground to a halt. After removing the stock radiator (which is a PITA I might add), I took a close look at the LFP (which was still in the shipping box). One of the mounting tabs is bent a little, and the weld is cracked. I put a little water in it and it runs right out the cracked weld. Shit... can't do a dam thing about it until Tuesday, either. :furious:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Don just asking.........

What made you decide on the LFP over FRPP, Be Cool, etc.?? Was it sizing, pricing, fitment, availability??

Just a heads up - make sure your mounting hardware for the A/C condenser and trans. cooler isn't too long and you accidentally puncture the tank on you new radiator.

don_w

Reaction score
I got the "pre-owned" brand new never used LFP from a member here for $300. That was pretty much the deciding factor. Of course, it's gonna cost me more than that now.

don_w

Reaction score
It may have been, but it was packaged pretty well, and I didn't see any obvious marks on the box. It's been sitting here for several weeks... I should have inpsected it better when I first got it. My bad.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crap

Thank you for the pics and sorry to hear about the problems. I hate it when you start out with a list of things that should be doable in a weekend and it goes south on you.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the gords fits with no issues. you might need to take a little material out of the mounting brackets buts its a quick and painless ordeal if you need to do it.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks. I know what you mean about inspecting parts, that is something I have learned the hard way on.

don_w

Reaction score
I took a close look at the box today, and I'm about 98% certain it was shipping damage. Oh well, can't do much about it now.

don_w

Reaction score
While I had to go to the office this week and earn a living, my lovely wife tracked down a radiator shop and took it over to them. They straightened all the bent stuff out and repaired two cracks (they found another one during the pressure test). She'll pick it up tomorrow morning, so I can get the car back together in the next couple days. It cost 95 bucks to fix, but at least I'll be driving my car again this weekend. :clap:

Back