2010 GT500 steering wheel/air bag in my 05

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
After browsing through pics of the 2010 GT500 a while back I instantly fell in love with the new steering wheel in the new GT500. It's a leather/suede combo with real aluminum trim. I work in parts at a Ford dealer so I ordered one to see if it would work.

And it does. Mechanically it's a direct bolt in. The airbags are all interchangable between 05-09 and '10. The only modification was the electric plug for the cruise was different so I had to add the old style plug to the new wheel and pin it correctly to get the new cruise switches to work. The only thing that doesn't work are the radio/sync controls, but we're working on that.

I added the 2010 GT500 airbag as well to go with the theme of the car. I needed an airbag anyway and this one was the same price as the 05-09. The wheel was $275 complete minus the airbag.

Here are the results...

05GT037.jpg

05GT038.jpg

05GT039.jpg

05GT040.jpg

05GT041.jpg

Last edited:

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Looks very nice!

If the audio controls work with the Shaker 500 of the 05 - 09 models, I could consider it in a future for sure.

PS you need to clean your floor mat ! lol

SF BULLITT

Reaction score
Looks good. Somewhat off topic but would you happen to know if its possible to just purchase the GT500 horn button separately or do you have to buy the whole airbag setup? Thinking of replacing my Bullitt one.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
by airbag you mean the centerpiece/horn also right? i have an 08 bullitt, and would like to swap the new wheel in as well, but i dont want the cobra emblem. can i just transfer the center piece over? please me me when you figure out how to set up the radio controls!

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Looks good. Somewhat off topic but would you happen to know if its possible to just purchase the GT500 horn button separately or do you have to buy the whole airbag setup? Thinking of replacing my Bullitt one.

sell me your bullitt one if possible!!! :clap:

and OP, that looks really cool, If I wanted anything from the 2010, it would be the steering wheel!!!

And a trunk release button.....

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
That looks good!!

If guys wanted too....those radio controls would be killer for a purge, linelock, etc....

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
That looks good!!

If guys wanted too....those radio controls would be killer for a purge, linelock, etc....

now youv'e got me thinking about this.... hmm.... i really like the steering wheel.... but im curious about about cobra symbol part.... can we buy the 2010 GT one and put it on this steering wheel instead?

got any far away shots of the interior with this steering wheel?

thanks for the pics btw.... looks great.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
now youv'e got me thinking about this.... hmm.... i really like the steering wheel.... but im curious about about cobra symbol part.... can we buy the 2010 GT one and put it on this steering wheel instead?

got any far away shots of the interior with this steering wheel?

thanks for the pics btw.... looks great.

If the Cobra wheel fits, then the GT one will fit for sure. I'm really digging the wheel and am looking forward to the outcome on all the buttons. I know it can be done, some how...

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Very good! I bought a 2010 steering wheel and mirrors about 2 weeks ago and the wheel is currently in my closet. When you figure out something about the radio controls please post up or vise versa if I get to it first. Thanks for posting this thread, I think you just motivated me to get it done! :clap:

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
If the Cobra wheel fits, then the GT one will fit for sure. I'm really digging the wheel and am looking forward to the outcome on all the buttons. I know it can be done, some how...

i mean not put the GT steering wheel on.... but put the gt500 steering wheel on (its different) but not have the snake on it.... rather the 2010 gt symbol on it.... make sense, lol?

and yah... just to confirm so the 05-09 airbag can be used on this?

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
The steering wheel is the exact same except the air bag cover....I have the 2010 GT steering wheel and it looks exactly like his....just get it for a gt and you won't have the cobra emblem...that's if you don't use your stock airbag.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
ah ha...gotcha. Nothing in my car is swuede so i'm content with the gt...however that is a nice touch. I apologize for hte above and I stand corrected. :)

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The center part with the emblem is the airbag. It's all one piece including bag, cover, and emblem. For 05-09 there is a GT/base airbag, GT500 airbag, and a Bullitt airbag. For 2010 there is a base/GT, and GT500. They all interchange. You can use this wheel with your existing airbag, or any other bag of your choice. The horn contact is actually part of the steering wheel that's mounted behind the airbag, or more correctly, the airbag is mounted right to the horn contact.

This wheel is the GT500 wheel. The GT wheel is the same, but it doesn't have the suede. I can also get them in red or blue (also without suede). The steering wheel doesn't come with the airbag, so you don't have to worry about the emblem.

We're working on getting the radio controls to work, but since the 05-09 didn't have that option at all, it's going to be tricky. There are some extra plugs on the clock spring (airbag/horn contact assembly) that you could use to turn those radio switches into nitrous control, or alcohol injection control, or line lock, or anything really.

The wheels come in: dark grey leather... grey leather/suede... red leather...blue leather.

Last edited:

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
The center part with the emblem is the airbag. It's all one piece including bag, cover, and emblem. For 05-09 there is a GT/base airbag, GT500 airbag, and a Bullitt airbag. For 2010 there is a base/GT, and GT500. They all interchange. You can use this wheel with your existing airbag, or any other bag of your choice. The horn contact is actually part of the steering wheel that's mounted behind the airbag, or more correctly, the airbag is mounted right to the horn contact.

This wheel is the GT500 wheel. The GT wheel is the same, but it doesn't have the suede. I can also get them in red or blue (also without suede). The steering wheel doesn't come with the airbag, so you don't have to worry about the emblem.

We're working on getting the radio controls to work, but since the 05-09 didn't have that option at all, it's going to be tricky. There are some extra plugs on the clock spring (airbag/horn contact assembly) that you could use to turn those radio switches into nitrous control, or alcohol injection control, or line lock, or anything really.

The wheels come in: dark grey leather... grey leather/suede... red leather...blue leather.

saweet..... thanks for the info.... im gunna rock the gt500 steering wheel and the 05-09 airbag!!!! (if i end up doing this)

thanks for the info.... do you have a part# for the gt500 steering wheel?

thanks again cobra!

Reaction score
A vacuum cleaner would have been a better mod IMO.

j/k looks good. I could go without the cobra in the center though, but other than that i love it.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It's my daily driver, and I just got back from 4 days in Yellowstone with it, so that's why it's dirty. As for the snake, my car is a GT500 clone, I needed an airbag anyway, so I continued the theme.

cubican

Reaction score
Im working on the swap as we speek, and Im trying to get the cruise to work, I do have an old steering wheel that Im using for the switch but the wire colors dont match up any help will be app.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back