Problem after changing the cams

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Peter and I just replaced the BBR Regrinds with the BBR Billet cams and there seems to be a problem

The car will crank and start for about 1 second, then die. It wil lnot get to idle, just starts for a second then dies.

We removed the spacers from underneath the lifters, used new cam phaser bolts, torqued everything down to spec. There seems to be no logical explination.

We marked the timing gears, used the wedge to hold the chains, everything by the ford manual, step by step. Anyone who has changed cams pleae chime in

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Marks problem...? (ck)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
also it wil lcrank and start for a second with and without the cam sensors plugged in

its almsot doing what it does when it doesnt have the maf plugged in, although the maf is plugged in just fine

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
crazy...

mine did this, found a fucking spider in my mass air meter after head/cam install! Set it down in shop to work on car, never DREAMED to check the little hole... no shit... wasted a day on it... theres a long humerous story if you search for it...

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any chance one of the little prongs on the phasers got bent? it seems i remember someone having some trouble because of that, but i don't remember who exactly

matt texass

Reaction score
I know you said you marked the chains but......... it sounds like what would happen if the timing was off just a little bit. Good luck.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what happened to me Ron. It was a brand new cam that was slightly bent. It also caused the oil pump to take a shit. It didn't actually 'break' (the oil pump) but the gears got toasted some how and it wasn't pushing any oil.

Replace the cams back to your others and check the oil pump. The cam only has to be bent a hair (not even visable to the eye) to bind

GI Joe

Reaction score
wasnt Marks from Comp. That would be freak...
Is the crank sensor plugged in?

Fuel pump fuses??? that you might have turned off for saftey during install???

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
any chance one of the little prongs on the phasers got bent? it seems i remember someone having some trouble because of that, but i don't remember who exactly

We didn't disassemble the phaser from the gear at all. I guess its a possibility, but its highly unlikely

I know you said you marked the chains but......... it sounds like what would happen if the timing was off just a little bit. Good luck.

I hear ya. To be honest it sounds like the other 10 times when i worked on the car and forgot to plug the maf in. We got the car running for a few seconds with me holding the gas pedal a little but as soo nas i let it go, the car died in a second

wasnt Marks from Comp. That would be freak...
Is the crank sensor plugged in?

Fuel pump fuses??? that you might have turned off for saftey during install???

The BBR cams are made by Comp Cams, just to BBR's specifications

Yes the crank sensor is plugged in and working. If it wasnt the car would crank but never fire and we are starting right now for a second or two

As far as fuel goes we are getting fuel to the motor. To simply state or styeps for the day

Removed battery
unbolted both cam covers
inserted wedge into timing chain
Removed Camshaft sensors
loosened the cam bolt
removed the 3 followers per side
removed the cam caps
separated phaser/gear from cam
removed spacers from under lifters
lifted out cam and replaced with new one
reversed procedure using assembly lube, ect

that is it

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the bent cam thing, Were you able to turn the motor by hand? Mine seems to turn easily by hand

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe be a stupid question...but did you count your shims to make sure you didn't leave one in?

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Do you think you could've installed one 180 degrees off ? I did by accident when I first put my motor together and it acted similar. I could get it to run by using the throttle for a few seconds that was it. It is very easy to do because of the way they mark the gears. Just a thought...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
we never removed the gears, or chains when swapping the cams. the cams themselves have a cut in them to slip into the gear with so they have to go in the same way. i guess theres always a possability, but i dont see how

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
If you didn't remove the gears then I'd say thats a no. Now that I think about it since you didn't pull the timing cover and re-align the marks that wouldn't be a possibility.

What about having the cams on the wrong side, LH on the RH side, etc..? It's gotta be something simple.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i hope its something simple yes, but the cams are different lengths. pretty simple to figure out lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back