The Conversion has begun. TR6060 to 4R70w

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, it had to be done. I was begged by Kevin at PMP to do the 4R70W when i had the motor swapped 2 years ago and I refused. At that point I had only been driving stick for 2 years and i refused to give it up. well 3 clutches inside of 7000 miles combined with my 2002 GT that i picked up being a stick and necessity has won out. The auto swap has begun...:thud::banghead:

I've done quite a bit of research on the swap here and made a decision today and ordered the transmission and components.

The transmission came from Mike and Fred FB Performance. The converter from Chris at Circle D Specialties.

4R70W:
Full Manual Valve Body
Trans Brake
300M Input Shaft
300M HD Direct Drum
High HP Internal Valve Body Modifications
Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan
SFI Flexplate
ARP Flexplate Bolts
HD Spicer Adapter Yoke, Large OD
Auto Reset Relay Controller (OD and Lockup in 3rd)
Flex Dipstick and Tube

Its pretty much every option except for the wide gear ratio. This is the best 4R70W they offer. He challenged me to break it. And you all know if it can break, I will be the one to do it ha.

Converter:
258mm 1A ProStage III Multi Disc
Stall will be between 3200 and 3400 as recommended by Chris at Circle D

Cooling:
Derale 13760 Stacked Plate Cooler with Fan and Shroud
Rated at 30,000GVW
500CFM Fan
180 degree in line thermostat for fan

The guys at FB are convinced that I will not need 2 coolers. If i cant trust my transmission guys then I shouldn't be doing business with them in the first place so I will start with one and monitor temperatures. If things don't look good, I will look into an auxiliary cooler.

Misc Items:
Hurst Pistol Grip Quarter Stick
Transmission Temperature Gauge

Install happens on Feb 3rd.

on a side note while i was there was a GT500 KR who jut got finished getting the 4R installed. Extremely nice car and a super goddamned clean install.

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet choice, That is the same setup I have and it has been good to me. I have almost 500 miles and 10 passes on it with out a hickup 1. If you can't break it I will be satisfied this will be the last trans that goes in my car.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet choice, That is the same setup I have and it has been good to me. I have almost 500 miles and 10 passes on it with out a hickup 1. If you can't break it I will be satisfied this will be the last trans that goes in my car.

I sure goddamned hope so. Do I need to search all the broken threads and post em for you though lol. just kidding. i think this is it.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
haha, trust me I have read through them all. I still can't believe you manage to break some of the stuff you do. Do you have a Detroit Locker or Tru-Trac? I smoked the Tru-Trac the first time at the track and that was on a 275/60/15 MT Drag Radial.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tru track, but i also got a 9" rear. i hear they are stronger in the 9" rears

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have a buyer and 5 other interested parties at the moment

jay320bird

Reaction score
I know that you were running a spec twin disc clutch with your 6 speed trans. What issues were you having that made you go thru three clutches in 7000 miles. I have recently installed a spec twin disc in my car and am looking at about 600 rwhp and hope that I don't have the limited life out of the clutch like you have experienced.

Thanks
Jay

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you finally got smart on this! I can't wait to see what your car does auto.

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the swap. Be sure to post pics of your shifter and keep us posted along the way. I have also done the swap but have not ran the car yet on it because i neet to get it tuned. If mine brakes I will go T400 for my nex one.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know that you were running a spec twin disc clutch with your 6 speed trans. What issues were you having that made you go thru three clutches in 7000 miles. I have recently installed a spec twin disc in my car and am looking at about 600 rwhp and hope that I don't have the limited life out of the clutch like you have experienced.

Thanks
Jay

The spec twin disc lasted a whopping 3 passes down the track before the clutch material on the disc melted and stuck to both the flywheel and floater plate between the discs. Since i wasn't power shifting, just granny shifting, and i didn't do any back to back runs on it, it seemed odd that a 1400 ft lbs clutch let go at a little under 550 ft lbs. Spec gave me the answer i completely expected before calling and that was "you must have rode the clutch down the entire length of the track to generate that type of heat". Of course i didnt do that. Spec next blamed the hydraulic system. Regardless. I have had 2 twin discs in the car, a OEM GT500 which was one of the early models that had heat problems (there's a TSB for it) and the spec supertwin P trim. IMO there's a reason spec, mcleod and the others call the twin disc "street" clutches. and my opinion is 2 discs, twice the heat. and heat is baaaaaaaaad. There is now a single disc spec 5 in there and to be honest, its easier to drive on the street than the twin disc was and even easier than the single spec 3+ was

Sounds like you finally got smart on this! I can't wait to see what your car does auto.

im thinking in absolute perfect conditions the car can squeak out a 9.99 on 93 octane with some mineshaft air. between the auto making the launch 1000x better, the quicker shifting of the auto, and the major diet the car went on this winter, i should be able to knock .6 to .8 off my time before i even go to race gas and higher boost

Welcome to our side Ron!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Im pretty stoked

Congrats on the swap. Be sure to post pics of your shifter and keep us posted along the way. I have also done the swap but have not ran the car yet on it because i neet to get it tuned. If mine brakes I will go T400 for my nex one.

I will absolutely keep you psoted. I got to play with the shifter in another customers car today. i really liked it. firm, solid feeling and it jsut clicks into the gears nicely, no effort really needed. and the transbrake button doubles as the OD button. its got a lockout so the transbrake only activates in 1st and OD only activates in 3rd

jps05roush

Reaction score
Good luck with the swap. I just had FB install mine swapping out the 5R55 after blowing two of them up....you'll love it. Had the car out this past weekend for a bit and the transmission is awesome. Very well street mannered and when you get on it it really responds.

I also only have one aftermarket cooler and when Fred looked at it he said it would be fine.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tru track, but i also got a 9" rear. i hear they are stronger in the 9" rears

me too, I have a Currie 9" with 4.11's. It literally made it 1 pass down the track and it bent the gears in it. It would make alot of noise when turning and would bind up when turning.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your going to move up the list quite a bit now. Assuming MPH stays the same, you should be in 10.2X territory minimum. Just make sure you get the right converter.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your going to move up the list quite a bit now. Assuming MPH stays the same, you should be in 10.2X territory minimum. Just make sure you get the right converter.

Thats why I went to Circle D lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
me too, I have a Currie 9" with 4.11's. It literally made it 1 pass down the track and it bent the gears in it. It would make alot of noise when turning and would bind up when turning.

Really? mines been going strong for like 10k miles or more. Prolly has over 400 quarter mile passes on it

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back