My experience with DTC P061b

paco_pony

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share my experience with this as some research on other forums yielded inconclusive answers. If this is common knowledge then please forgive me and ignore me (in that order, please).

I've been driving my new NA stroker around (no power adder but stroked guts, ported heads and cams) and all of a sudden it started going in to limp mode and throwing a check engine light. The scanner said P061b--the text around it is something like "torque calculation error". No other codes were thrown.

Some quick forum searches showed folks with similar problems-- a lot with blowers and a few with bolt on parts. But no conclusive answers about what the problem is and what the fix might be.

So I took the car in. One quick call to SCT from the shop owner and the problem was identified. An email with a patch to the tune was the solution. Loaded it up within 20 minutes and I'm good to go. No more trouble codes and car runs great.

The best I can tell is that the ECM measures engine load (ie, "torque") along with several other variables to figure out the right injector pulse width. If the ECM detects that the engine is under more torque or load than a stock engine should be (e.g., with a blower or aggressive bolt ons) then the ECM will throw this code and send the car into limp mode.

There is an easy fix for this in the tune--but not all tuners know about it. They just have to get the patch from the tuner co.

Anyway, hope this is somewhat worthwhile to someone.

Later...

:beer:

travelers

Reaction score
Good tech info on that problem, thanks

You have a stroker, what CI are you at now?

bullitt3544

Reaction score
P061B

DUDE!! i have an 08 bullitt, comp stage 2 thumper cams, steeda udps, pypes shorty headers, off road "x" pipe, flowmasters and charge motion delete plates and a twin 62mm bbk throttle body:wtf:. im using a diablo sport tuner, gettin the same code EVERY TIME I DRIVE THE CAR so, you are telling me ditch diablo and call sct and its fixed? please let me know asap, thanx

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DUDE!! i have an 08 bullitt, comp stage 2 thumper cams, steeda udps, pypes shorty headers, off road "x" pipe, flowmasters and charge motion delete plates and a twin 62mm bbk throttle body:wtf:. im using a diablo sport tuner, gettin the same code EVERY TIME I DRIVE THE CAR so, you are telling me ditch diablo and call sct and its fixed? please let me know asap, thanx

your mods sound very similar to mine...i hope to install the cams this weekend. thanks for the heads up....hopefully bama can straighten it out for me if this occurs.

bullitt3544

Reaction score
i almost 4got

my cars got 4:10s too and a spydershaft aliminum driveshaft, eibach springs, 20 x 10s w/ 285-30-20s and 20 x 8.5s with 255-35-20s heres a few pics

burnout3.jpg

burnout2.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

itsasecretm

Reaction score
Can you give me some more info about on code p061b? I have been having crazy issues with this code. I replaced my TPS on my 2007 stang and now I am getting this code, if you have any more info on this code please let me know.

FastOrange

forum member
Reaction score
The function that needs to be changed has the word "quizzer" in it.... I dont recall exactly what is says but as soon as I get my commando software loaded up I'll let you guys know. Any software can adjust this, its just in an obscure area. I have to fax in my user agreement so it will be a couple of days before I get the exact funtion name for you.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Ah. So thats what the code means. I got this at the track twice in one day and called it a day but after that, I never got it again

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread (searched) but I just got my car back from the tuners and I am throwing this P061B code. It goes into limp mode at 5K rpm and throws this code. Guessing from this thread it is tune related? I wonder why it didnt have this problem on the dyno?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread (searched) but I just got my car back from the tuners and I am throwing this P061B code. It goes into limp mode at 5K rpm and throws this code. Guessing from this thread it is tune related? I wonder why it didnt have this problem on the dyno?

More load on the engine on the street.

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
I was getting this code for a while until my tuner fixed it. Something with the drive by wire wasn't right. It wouldn't do it on the dyno but would do it if I rolled into boost on the street. WOT was fine though, kinda weird but thats how mine did it.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, fixing this code has more to do with having a correct mass air transfer function (MTF) and having the torque tables setup correctly. It's not just one magical scalar that can be changed to get rid of it. If you have this code and there is one or more mods on your car that affect load and/or your MTF, you really need to have your car dyno tuned. You can raise the limits in the torque limiting tables to remedy it, but that's a hack if it's actually your MTF that is off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I was getting this code for a while until my tuner fixed it. Something with the drive by wire wasn't right. It wouldn't do it on the dyno but would do it if I rolled into boost on the street. WOT was fine though, kinda weird but thats how mine did it.
Yes, DBW can cause this code, too.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, fixing this code has more to do with having a correct mass air transfer function (MTF) and having the torque tables setup correctly. It's not just one magical scalar that can be changed to get rid of it. If you have this code and there is one or more mods on your car that affect load and/or your MTF, you really need to have your car dyno tuned. You can raise the limits in the torque limiting tables to remedy it, but that's a hack if it's actually your MTF that is off.

Yep I have more than one mods, and it was just dyno'd tuned

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I had similar issues, but could make it happen by slowly power-braking, and right at 1500 rpm, boom (ok, no boom, but beeeeeep): limp mode and dtc p061b. Or, holding at a stop uphill, then gently trying to move forward when letting off the breake.With a heavy throttle or WOT, never had the problem. Only under light throttle uses

Was tune related, having to do with DBW/TPS and torque calculations, including appropriate torque source.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into P061B limp mode... troubleshooting it can be a bitch, from what I understand. I've only had it twice: once with the ProCharged V6 (tuner at RPM Outlet fixed it remotely) and once with the 5.4L and the MMR intake (throttle body blade was physically hitting the intake and tripping it).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back