Whipple bypass actuator whine

Reaction score
The bypass actuator on my Whipple supercharger is making an audible high pitch whine.

I used an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the noise, and every indication is that it's coming from the bypass actuator. Also, when I unplug the vacuum hose that connects from the compressor housing to the bypass actuator, the noise stops.

1. Any ideas what the problem might be specifically? Can I repair it myself?

2. Also, does Whipple use a common bypass actuator? Such as one from Eaton for the GT500, etc.?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, didn't realize that Whipple mentioned testing the bypass actuator every 10,000 miles. I followed their test procedure and the bypass failed!

The test procedure is as follows:

1. Move actuator arm into actuator.
2. Plug top port with finger while actuator is pressed in.
3. Let go of actuator arm while finger is still on top port.
4. If actuator is good , actuator arm will stay in the same position until you remove your finger. If bad, it will come back to it’s relaxed position.

IF BAD, REPLACE IMMEDIATELY

Reaction score
I believe Whipple wanted $90 + shipping for that thing..

Whipple charges $100 for a serpentine belt, and my local auto parts store sells them for half that.

So, I feel confident that Whipple would sell a bypass actuator for double the actual price. You've only confirmed that!

Whipple is definitely using an off the shelf bypass actuator, as a (nearly) identical part is used on the 2004 Mustang Cobra. The only difference is that the Cobra uses a dual port bypass actuator.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Whipple charges $100 for a serpentine belt, and my local auto parts store sells them for half that.

So, I feel confident that Whipple would sell a bypass actuator for double the actual price. You've only confirmed that!

Whipple is definitely using an off the shelf bypass actuator, as a (nearly) identical part is used on the 2004 Mustang Cobra. The only difference is that the Cobra uses a dual port bypass actuator.

Not disagreeing, they have a retarded markup..

Only reason I know is we were going to replace mine while trouble shooting an idle / throttle lag issue, until I heard the price. I actually laughed at the guy from whipple when he told me the price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back