Longtube headers vs o/r x and muffler deletes

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
Had a quick question, i was thinking of getting LT headers and off road x pipe with gta mufflers for my 08 gt. But doesnt my exhaust flow enough already? i mean it is a basically a straight pipe system all the way back, or would it benefit that much more to get the longtubes and somekind of mufflers???

Stinkyone

forum member
Reaction score
I have LT's, O/R prochamber and aftermarket mufflers. Yes, there is a benefit. With the right tune a very nice benefit.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
there is always room for improvement... save your money and get the turbo like I told you before, you'll thank me later :)

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I've ran several sets of mufflers and my car performed the best with chambered mufflers. The throttle response was better than any of the straight through mufflers I have ran. Maybe due to back pressure on the motor...

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
You will see some gains from LT's and x pipe but very minimal from the a/b. you "may" get a little more torque down low by adding mufflers versus the stright pipes, plus it should def sound better. I run LT's, O/R X and GTA's on my car. Loud as hell at WOT, aggressive and raspy with a good tone, IMO. No drone, period. I like the setup, it has grown on me. I have some video clips floating around here, I have more on my puter at home if interested.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of X pipes, I think they are too raspy, prefer H pipes.

If you have any thoughts of getting a turbo DO NOT waste your money on LT's as they will not work with any turbo kit.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
Greg, yours has a catted H and I think yours is raspier than mine...LOL

:nana:

But yeah, like others said, waste of time and money if there are plans for a turbo.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
i wanna hear from some of u guys after a couple thousand miles with the on3 kit. its a great deal until the turbo seals blow, the center section starts flopping around and the turbo headers crack cause its all cheap chinese junk.

$1800 will always be too good to be true. its that cheap cause its junk. just saying.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
i wanna hear from some of u guys after a couple thousand miles with the on3 kit. its a great deal until the turbo seals blow, the center section starts flopping around and the turbo headers crack cause its all cheap chinese junk.

$1800 will always be too good to be true. its that cheap cause its junk. just saying.

1540 miles in it right now for me I punch it at least once a day and it's running great

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Regarding gains from headers.

Has anyone had their car dyno tuned before the header install and then afterwards to show the true benefits with that being the ONLY change?

Without the dyno tune before hand it's not a fair comparison.

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
there is always room for improvement... save your money and get the turbo like I told you before, you'll thank me later :)

i was just wondering, ive always wondered since my friedn has a fully bolt on car including gears and we run DEAD even the whole way....

I've ran several sets of mufflers and my car performed the best with chambered mufflers. The throttle response was better than any of the straight through mufflers I have ran. Maybe due to back pressure on the motor...

As for back pressure im not worried about it to much i think with the 100 that i have now it needs to let the air out faster

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
i was just wondering, ive always wondered since my friedn has a fully bolt on car including gears and we run DEAD even the whole way....

As for back pressure im not worried about it to much i think with the 100 that i have now it needs to let the air out faster

I gained around 20ish whp on my install...However, That was JBA L/T's, O/R H pipe, exhaust, and went from steeda canned tune to dyno tune. I love the L/T's with no cats though...It's loud and mean sounding. Hell Jose, you know; you heard my car every day for a while.

351inside

forum member
Reaction score
I gained around 20ish whp on my install...However, That was JBA L/T's, O/R H pipe, exhaust, and went from steeda canned tune to dyno tune. I love the L/T's with no cats though...It's loud and mean sounding. Hell Jose, you know; you heard my car every day for a while.

Hell yeah man that shit sounded clean, to bad i wont be getting them for my car man, i traded that bitch in for a 2011! LOL

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The kit doesnt have turbo headers, and the piping is quality ss, i was very impressed with it. I can't speak for the quality of the turbo, wastgate or bov as i used diff stuff.

Regarding gains from headers.

Has anyone had their car dyno tuned before the header install and then afterwards to show the true benefits with that being the ONLY change?

Without the dyno tune before hand it's not a fair comparison.

I picked up a solid 10rwhp thorughout the rpm range and peak was 15rwhp. With just kooks longtubes and catted xpipe.

Last edited:

BlackPony

forum member
Reaction score
Headers and cam's are the perfect combo.
50 rwhp 10rwtq from my Kooks headers/Hot Rod cams.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I picked up a solid 10rwhp thorughout the rpm range and peak was 15rwhp. With just kooks longtubes and catted xpipe.
Was the car dyno tuned before this and then dyno'd again after adding the mod to determine the true gain? Just want to be clear. Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back