Detailing Questions-Answered

2012 2.9

forum member
Reaction score
You will get various answers to this, but first how in depth do you want to get? By hand or machine? From there it boils down to amount of time you will dedicate to maintaining the finish. CarPro has some great products that minimize the amount of work keep your paint looking great. Google CQuartzs and Hydro@

I was thinking since it was a new vehicle by hand would be good enough I don't mind putting in the time thank you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

28ONE

Reaction score
Okay so I pulled a pretty stupid move.

I heated my tint on my front windows and tried to pull it off but it just took the actual tint off and not the sticky gluey material that goes on the window.

What's the best way to get this off and looking new again? It's got scratches and swirls and crap all in it and I want it gone.

Try Goo Gone

^^ This... I would add. Not all of us live in a rain free or relatively rain free area. We all use our vehicle differently.

Mine is a daily driver... Has two dang big-ass rock chips, replaced radiator, and all kinds of road grime... And only 70 days is in our ownership... Makes no sense whatsoever to drop $400-$600 on the detail job I want when tomorrow morning a rain-cloud will come through and pull all the oils and road grime back into the cracks and crevasses of the car.

It is one thing when we have long times of sunny weather or a trailer queen (So to speak), then once or twice a year it is worth it... For the rest of us it is $11 car washes and three or four weekends over the year of detail lov'n shadetree style...

Might I suggest a coating (OptiCoat, CQuartz, Gtechniq)

I was thinking since it was a new vehicle by hand would be good enough I don't mind putting in the time thank you

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

CG blacklight for a sealant then CG Black for a wax. Both can be applied by hand, easy on/off. Of course I'll warn you now, once bitten by the detailing bug, game over.

I agree with Bullitt3309, we all have our opinions and personally its a hobby for me. Being its a new ride with dark color, I would suggest BlackFire products if its depth you after, again just my 2 cents :thumb2:

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score

I heated my tint on my front windows and tried to pull it off but it just took the actual tint off and not the sticky gluey material that goes on the window.

What's the best way to get this off and looking new again? It's got scratches and swirls and crap all in it and I want it gone.

My local oriellys has stuff called Klean strip aircraft
Adhesive remover or look for 3m adhesive remover and that will get rid of the tint crap. From there you will at a minimum have to compound the windows to get the scratches out. If that doesn't work Carpro has window correction pads that's will you will need to fix the scratches.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score

I just sprayed an aerosol window cleaner on mine, let it set for a minute or so, and screamed it off with a razor blade.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
I just sprayed an aerosol window cleaner on mine, let it set for a minute or so, and screamed it off with a razor blade.

Would you please describe this process. How loud do you yell at it? Do you say mean shit to it or what? Do you cut it while screaming at it? So confused but interested in the process.....

:jackass: :)

Brought to you by tapatalk; 70k fuck yeah.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Would you please describe this process. How loud do you yell at it? Do you say mean shit to it or what? Do you cut it while screaming at it? So confused but interested in the process.....

:jackass: :)

Brought to you by tapatalk; 70k fuck yeah.

Bahahahahahaha!!!

Oops

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
My local oriellys has stuff called Klean strip aircraft
Adhesive remover or look for 3m adhesive remover and that will get rid of the tint crap. From there you will at a minimum have to compound the windows to get the scratches out. If that doesn't work Carpro has window correction pads that's will you will need to fix the scratches.

WD40 takes off sticky residue.

IFlyEm

Reaction score
What would be recommended for UV protection? My car needs to sit in a parking lot for up to a week at a time. I live in the Las Vegas area so the sun and heat is extreme.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ron Smith

Reaction score
I am wondering if the original poster has found new products that they recommend, have the original products been replaced by new products, or what their opinion is on ceramic coating and if it's worth the investment. Great write up though.

BoatsHateMe

Reaction score
I picked up my 08 SGT, Vista Blue, last winter, it sat in the garage until spring. This car had been ceramic’d just before I got it, probably last fall. It looked / looks amazing.

Other than washing, should I be treating this with anything, should I wax over that or just keep it clean? I have some ceramic spray (not sure which exactly without looking) and I’m wondering if I should be keeping it tuned up with that or?

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, Boats. Your ride is sweet and I'm not a blue guy. Ceramic coating isn't a Get Out of Jail Free card. It will get dirty! Regular washing is key, but I'm seriously anti-drive-thru-car-wash. However, whether you use a drive-thru, hand spray, or (what I always do) hand wash at home, there's a bunch of products out there that will keep your baby shiny & nice. At the moment my favorite is Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer. Using two micro fiber towels (one-wax on, the other wax off.....remember??) follow the directions. Products like this can also also be used, very easily & effectively, as a 'drying agent'. This stuff is my hobby. Got more questions.........hey, it's clean car season!

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I agree an awesome amount of information in your post and a lot of work on your part to educate all of us. I recently saw a post on the Forum regarding the use of 303 Aerospace Protectant - UV protection for the interior of your car. I purchased it and did the car's interior from one end to the other. Totally pleased with the outcome.

I read on the label that it could be used on your convertible top so ordered two additional bottles today. If, the top looks as good as the rest of the coverage I'll be happy. It didn't mention anything and I'm wondering if it will wash off after a couple of washings. None the less I'll try it.

Your detailing post don't mention anything about convertible tops. Do you also do them and if so, 2008 Mustang GT-CS -A.jpg what do you use?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back