Shorty or long tube headers

martinr69

Reaction score
What do you perfer to run on your mustang Shorty headers or long tube headers.. And is there a big diff between the two.

I think shorty headers because you would not bottom out going over speed bumps or dimps in the road. Not for sure on performace wise though..

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Most of the long tubes dont stick down too far. I know long tubes give you more power and better sound as well

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
ARH or Kooks LT's and they dont sit any lower than the stock set-up so no bottoming out.

You don't get much if any performance gains from shorties so unless you're doing a turbo, go with longtubes from ARH or Kooks.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
shorties are not worth the expense. the gains are almost nil. and the price of install is almost equal to that of a LT install. the only reason to consider shorties is if you plan on going turbo. even then, most companies will recommend the stock manifolds or provide their own

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick Martin, but how can you have been a member her for a year and a half, log over 500 posts and you don't understand hotrod/thumper cams and longtubes vs. shorties? Your last couple thread topics have been thoroughly beat to death.

martinr69

Reaction score
I have no knowledge of high performance parts and stuff this is my first s197 and i am trying to build some knowledge so sorry if I ask to many questions or try to strike up some conversations.. This topic is what do you perfer that's why it's in chit chat

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Not trying to be a dick Martin, but how can you have been a member her for a year and a half, log over 500 posts and you don't understand hotrod/thumper cams and longtubes vs. shorties? Your last couple thread topics have been thoroughly beat to death.

you gotta admit, he did do ok (ok not great) by not posting it in tech. and apparently, he cant search the right terms to find his answer to personal preference between headers (though i cant think of anyone who would prefer shorties)

and martin, do a couple searches on
Long tube clearance,
Shortie install,
long tube install,
header preference.

you may come up with a few decent topics

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
you gotta admit, he did do ok (ok not great) by not posting it in tech. and apparently, he cant search the right terms to find his answer to personal preference between headers (though i cant think of anyone who would prefer shorties)

and martin, do a couple searches on
Long tube clearance,
Shortie install,
long tube install,
header preference.

you may come up with a few decent topics

At least not it's not in tech, you're right. It's just crazy to me that much time could be spent on the forum without finding out everything you need to know on those topics at least twice. OP, as has been said, Longtubes or nothing. Get ones that are 304 stainless (kooks, pypes, arh). Youtube has plenty of video if you debate X vs H.

martinr69

Reaction score
I have an O/R H pipe with flowmasters on now and it sounds good.. All I was trying to do is start up a topic on what people perfer and why.... it's alway intersting to hear why people perfer this over that...

I perfer an H pipe because I don't like the raspy sound the x pipe makes.. see that's my perference

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I have an O/R X with magnapacks and I have zero rasp.... X is normally only raspy with chambered mufflers. My O/R H and Macs were way more raspy than my x and magnaflows

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have an O/R H pipe with flowmasters on now and it sounds good.. All I was trying to do is start up a topic on what people perfer and why.... it's alway intersting to hear why people perfer this over that...

I perfer an H pipe because I don't like the raspy sound the x pipe makes.. see that's my perference
Add some LTs and your setup will sound awesome. If it's too loud for you just splice in some resonators. I love my pypes too. Lots of folks bash em but I have nothing but good to say.

Forget the shorties....Lts or keep it stock.

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
What do you perfer to run on your mustang Shorty headers or long tube headers.. And is there a big diff between the two.

I think shorty headers because you would not bottom out going over speed bumps or dimps in the road. Not for sure on performace wise though..
I have short tube BBK ceramic coated with BBk High flow cats with Mac mufflers. I love the low end torq you get with short tubes,plus no scraping the speed bumps. I have Ford Hot Rod cams,FRPP CAI, delete plates,bbk pulleys,aluminum drive shaft and 410 gears. I put down 340 rwhp. Not to bad with short tubes. When people say short tubes don't make power their wrong. Test are done where shorties made power,but not as much as long tubes. A lot of test that are done with short tubes vs long tubes but they never test the shorties with the high flow mid pipes. Everyone always comments about my car being one of the best sounding stangs that they have heard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back