The Extreme Weight reduction Idea thread (Comfort not included)

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So... Last night I sat down for 10 mins or so and thought... Can my car get down to pure street weight is it really possible Matt :roflmao:

Ok now most guys are super top secret about this kinda stuff. I like to share with my S197 homies think im looped or not xD , I am usually pretty realistic about this kind of stuff.

My car currently weighs 3060 lbs so... I need to remove about 60 lbs before the cage goes in (6 point wolfe weld in)

Manual rack from stock rack and res minus 10-15 lbs

Remove centre console/arm rest minus 30-35lbs ( I did weigh this sucker once)

Remove carpet and scrape sound deadning floor and trans tunned along with carpet mute minus 20-25lbs ????

Rear end- shortning .75-1" with 33 spline gun drilled axles and 9" ends (no loss no gain)

Rear drag brakes compared to stock minus 25 - 28lbs

Remove rear seat delete (wood shit) minus 10 lbs

remove corbeau harness minus 10 lbs ( add wolfe cage +50lbs)

Make light weight bumper beams (-26 lbs for both) or remove completly up to 32lbs gone

Remove factory speakers ????? (this I don't know yet cause I liek to jam when I cruise) I figure at least 20 lbs for all of them

Going to pull the door skins off and see what material I can muster off the factory door ( probably not much so that's up in the air)

I would like to go VFN Pin on 3" cowl hood ( cowl right to the window) so that's 20 lbs lighter then my current cervinis

Remove wiper arms, motor and hard ware 10-13lbs (if memory serves me right)

Remove the dash and anything that isn't needed is going, Paul said the heater core and shit is about 15 lbs or so

I have so remove the ac lines under the dash so that I don't know about the weight yet???

Now Paul (psfracer) said most of the actual weight was in the factory wire harness and fuse boxes... Right now Im not sure If I want to re wire the car but that's up in the air.

Ditch factory brake lines , re run braided and ditch abs box and sensors minus 10 lbs

Smaller fan (easy 5-8 lbs there)

Gettin more extreme I can put kirky drag seats instead of my corbeau ones and drop aother 10-12lbs but that's up in the air at this point..

So ditch the Evap system complety (15-18lbs) gone there

So from ditching the stock fuel tank and switching to a fuel cell minus 35 lbs (thanks Paul for that info)

Alum act flywheel -8 lbs or so

I had some more info for another few lbs but I forgot right now -_-

What do you guys think? any thing im missing :roflmao:

Last edited:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oh... and my main secret of shedding weight that might save a ton... is start using Titanium bolts instead of steel on most accesories... this weight differnce is unkown but I think it would be a decent amount considering how many dam bolts we have on our cars xD

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
MMR has a carbon fiber transmission tunnel CLAIMED to save 75lbs lol

just to let everyone know, im not supporting there product just simply "mentioning" this product.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:roflmao:

Oh and I might run dumps with round mufflers and save some weight from the full exhaust porbably 30 lbs there aswell

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PM Mark about the doors, he went through the weight loss with the doors. I don't remember exactly what he found but I think there wasn't much weight removable in the doors themselves it is all in the window glass.

Earl

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I have all my extra speakers
I will try and weight them tonight

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Your car is going to be lighter than a stripped down fox body coupe. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car is going to be lighter than a stripped down fox body coupe. Can't wait to see the finished product.

That was my delema... Im like.. should I go build a Sn95 4 link car gutted or can I get my 05 down to weight and the way it looks I might be able to get it done. I love my 05 it's been one of my favourite cars by dar ...and im going to spend alot of time trying to make it hook on the 26x10 tires

G.T

Reaction score
lightweight radiator support and K member? that should shed quite a bit of weight!

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lightweight radiator support and K member? that should shed quite a bit of weight!

Oh dude I have all that stuff... long time ago. lol I have just about every light weight part out there.... the things I just listed are the only other ideas I can come up with...

G.T

Reaction score
in that case yeah, i'd shed all the interior trim, dash, rear seats, replace side windows with lexan sheets.
and since you're fitting a roll cage, i'd also look into cutting out the rear parcel shelf, replace it with a reinforcement bar.
also how about cutting out the spare wheel well in the trunk along with the EVAP crap?

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I will weight those speakers tonight . Lol idea would be to remove them then maybe add 2 smaall tweeters on the front doors
Also ditch the oem door panels n grab some lightweight panels that don't have all that armrest crap / speaker junk

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
interior still has to stay stock looking so quater pannels, head liner, dash, and door skins have to stay...

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One thing you could do on the speakers is take out all the stock stuff and just wire in a couple of small home style bookshelf speakers sitting where the rear seat should be. That way you could enjoy your tunes while normal driving and then just take out the speakers when you race. I used this procedure many years ago.

Earl

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One thing you could do on the speakers is take out all the stock stuff and just wire in a couple of small home style bookshelf speakers sitting where the rear seat should be. That way you could enjoy your tunes while normal driving and then just take out the speakers when you race. I used this procedure many years ago.

Earl

:highfive: never thought about that lol

Back