Replaced the stock Vortech/Paxton intake with a DIY power pipe

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Decided the stock inlet crap had to go, purchased a 3.5 to 4 inch coupler, a 4 inch in diameter piece of stainless steel with a 45 degree bend in it and a MAF flange since I don't have anywhere to mount a blow thru setup with my aftercooler.

racepartsolutions.com for the MAF adapter, $25 plus shipping
www.siliconeintakes.com for the 3.5 to 4.0 elbow, $20 plus shipping
atpturbo.com for the pipe, $48 plus shipping

I paid $70 to have the MAF flange and a piece of pipe welded on-for the bypass valve hose-and bought a 4x9 S&B filter from JLT.

I had to trim the fan shroud to get everything to fit as well as a small piece of the radiator cover.

Total cost: Approx $240.

Pics:

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Decided the stock inlet crap had to go, purchased a 3.5 to 4 inch coupler, a 4 inch in diameter piece of stainless steel with a 45 degree bend in it and a MAF flange since I don't have anywhere to mount a blow thru setup with my aftercooler.

racepartsolutions.com for the MAF adapter, $25 plus shipping
www.siliconeintakes.com for the 3.5 to 4.0 elbow, $20 plus shipping
atpturbo.com for the pipe, $48 plus shipping

I paid $70 to have the MAF flange and a piece of pipe welded on-for the blow off valve hose-and bought a 4x9 S&B filter from JLT.

I had to trim the fan shroud to get everything to fit as well as a small piece of the radiator cover.

Total cost: Approx $240.

Pics:
Thanks ! I am needing that very coupler for my new CAI .

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good, Greg. Looks much better and love the bigger filter, she should really be able to suck now!

I never saw the other threads, either. Seems like a good thread to me: informative, pictures, links, etc.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Cool that you did this yourself, but can I ask why you didn't get the AFM pipe? Its only like $20 more than you spent, looks better, fits better, and has a heat sheild...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tuner does not like the DBX MAF that comes with it
Anderson's doesn't come with a filter
AFM's does not have the MAF adapter on it so that would cost me more do buy it and have it welded on.
Not sure if the AFM has the bung on it for the BOV

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Tuner does not like the DBX MAF that comes with it
Anderson's doesn't come with a filter
AFM's does not have the MAF adapter on it so that would cost me more do buy it and have it welded on.
Not sure if the AFM has the bung on it for the BOV
You can purchase the pipe separate from the maf and run whatever maf you choose.

Your right the AFM pipe doesn't have provisions for maf/recirc valve.

Are you sure there is no way to convert to a blow through with the aftercooler? What about installing the maf prior to the cooler and locating the bov right after the blower?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back in May....and I got tired of waiting for you to post the shopping list so I did it myself...if you remember I PM'd you for the info and you never provided it.
Meow.

Well I'm glad it worked out for you. I'll be interested to see how much more boost you make now, and what kind of power it makes before and after.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
You can purchase the pipe separate from the maf and run whatever maf you choose.

Your right the AFM pipe doesn't have provisions for maf/recirc valve.

Are you sure there is no way to convert to a blow through with the aftercooler? What about installing the maf prior to the cooler and locating the bov right after the blower?

I racked my brain for weeks trying to figure a way to run a blow thru with the aftercooler. It's just not in the cards without some major surgery/creativity.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you driven with this setup? I'm curious to see if you have any drivability issues since I was told the reason it took AFM so long is they had problems with the bypass recirc causing problems being too close to the maf. Hence the reason for them setting it up as a blow through.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you driven with this setup? I'm curious to see if you have any drivability issues since I was told the reason it took AFM so long is they had problems with the bypass recirc causing problems being too close to the maf. Hence the reason for them setting it up as a blow through.

He drove it today, it still hasnt been retuned yet, but from what Greg said it runs pretty good as it sits.

We took that into consideration as well and placed it as far away as possible on the other side of the 45 degree bend so we shall see how it does on they dyno while it gets retuned.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool that you did this yourself, but can I ask why you didn't get the AFM pipe? Its only like $20 more than you spent, looks better, fits better, and has a heat sheild...

He still would have had to spend more money to buy the maf flange and the recirc fitting then have them welded on, plus a filter, so your looking at another $125-150$ on top of the price of the AFM.

A member on here bought the AFM pipe and stayed draw-thru with the stock maf cost him $350 I believe, so Greg def saved a good chunk of change building it himself vice buying/modding the afm pipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back