4.6 S197 making a "easy" 450whp NA

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Any of yall out there making a "easy" 450whp NA? If so what are you doing to achieve this?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Awe hell not this again.... lol this has been discussed so many times before. None of us actually hit 450 at the tire but there is enough parts / experience out there now we have collected that will give us a shot at making 450. No one has done it yet.

The Big power NA 3 valves are automatic so they read less on the dyno but im sure they would make 450 or more with a stick.

The next big NA 3 Valve build coming up would be Art (Rench) look out for what he is going to do.

Last edited:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No one has made 450RWHP, N/A with a 3V Matt?

Not legit on a dyno sheet. The auto guys that have fully done 3 valves made 420-430 wrhp but with big stall conveters so it takes away from the dyno numbers but the track ET's say alot.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Who has the fastest N/A 3V....and is it 3.7" bore?

We have a customer who is working on a pretty stout combo.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
My point exactly. I was hoping you would jump in here and voice your opinion Matt. This will be linked to another thread as a reference to show that it is not "easily" done and that there are not a ton of 450NA S197s running around.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back 2 years ago we didn't know if 400 was possible on a stock bottom end but we have proven that now it can be done. My self I hit 409 std on the dyno few other guys like Marc hit 400 aswell.

I don't see why more cam and more compression wouldn't hit 450. You need every dam part out there. The intake manifold being the biggest when reving over 6500

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My point exactly. I was hoping you would jump in here and voice your opinion Matt. This will be linked to another thread as a reference to show that it is not "easily" done and that there are not a ton of 450NA S197s running around.

I don't want to sit here saying it can be done you need "this this this" because I have listed what I think would make 450... but until it's done we are all just blowing hot air.

Before I got my 5.0 motor I thought about an all out 3 V Na build but I want 500 or more at the tire All motor. I just didn't think the 3 valve could hit that hit with the parts on the market other then spending a fortune on jesel valve train , stand alone system etc.

450wrhp NA out of a 3 valve is no where near "Easy" let's just say that :roflmao:

Last edited:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Spyder7724, Hit 10.8's with his car weighing at 3550 or 3600 lbs. Built 3 valve 5.4 with 12:1 compression if I remember right.

If he knocked off a few hundred pounds it would be stupid fast. He is the 3 valve NA record holder right now, I am behind him with my 4.6 3 valve.

It's not the power of course... it's making everything work and getting down the track. We have tested so many differn't springs, and launching techniques to get where we are now. Adding your anti roll bar helped me out alot also.

I had the best results on your springs btw :thumb:

Reaction score
The OP stated 4.6, so I ASSume he wants info on a stock bore setup, I'm with Matt, I think it can be done, even on a stock bore 4.6L it'll take more cam and hi compression to do, (or a hi reading dyno) still working on my tune but last trip to the dyno (load bearing) showed 416RWHP and 383ft lbs with my setup.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score

How's Ted's car coming along? :naughty1:

I'm going to try some stuff with a base stock bore 3V and see what happens.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
You know what's up :beerdrink:

Dyno for the tuning / saftey aspect then go beat the crap out of it :roflmao:

If your not breaking shit then your not driving it hard enough... hahaaa

ok man stop jacking around on this forum and get back to your swap... I want to see this go already!!

Ignatowski

forum member
Reaction score
The OP stated 4.6, so I ASSume he wants info on a stock bore setup, I'm with Matt, I think it can be done, even on a stock bore 4.6L it'll take more cam and hi compression to do, (or a hi reading dyno) still working on my tune but last trip to the dyno (load bearing) showed 416RWHP and 383ft lbs with my setup.

What is your setup?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Spyder7724, Hit 10.8's with his car weighing at 3550 or 3600 lbs. Built 3 valve 5.4 with 12:1 compression if I remember right.

If he knocked off a few hundred pounds it would be stupid fast. He is the 3 valve NA record holder right now, I am behind him with my 4.6 3 valve.

It's not the power of course... it's making everything work and getting down the track. We have tested so many differn't springs, and launching techniques to get where we are now. Adding your anti roll bar helped me out alot also.

I had the best results on your springs btw :thumb:

Gotcha.

I know what you mean about the power. I just went 11.6@118 last week with my 1998 Cobra, stock 4V longblock N/A, T45 trans...on Drag Radials. :beer:

How's Ted's car coming along? :naughty1:

I'm going to try some stuff with a base stock bore 3V and see what happens.

:beerdrink:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back