3.7 Eco-Boost & Direct Injection

05yellowgt

Reaction score
A 3.5 ecoboost in a Mustang would be a better performer than any of the ecoboosts that came previously. In the SHO, Flex, ect., the Ecoboost output was limited by the transmission and AWD platform not being able to handle more than 350ftlb of torque. In the F150 the ecoboost is limited because it is in a truck. Sure the drivetrain can take the abuse, but the engine has to be able to pull 11,000 loads without pinging and over heating with 87 octane.

In a Mustang you have a transmission and axle that can handle the power output but without the requirement to tow and haul major loads. I'd much prefer an ecoboost 5.0 in the Mustang but the 3.5 might fit a niche in the next several years in the Mustang.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Show me the fastest vehicle you know of that has less than 8 cyliders and I'll show you a faster V8.

Buick Grand National in 1982, How long did it take a V8 to catch up and be as street able ?

You obviously have a serious hard on for V8s which indeed can make more power but there are many V6 cars making more HP per CUI than V8s.

Dont be so close minded and be open to learning.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Do you think that Ford doesn't have the means to make the 3.7 last under an Eco-Boost?

The 3.7 and the 3.5 are the same engine except the the bore which is 3mm larger. 92.5mm vs 95.5mm. Such a small bore change would have little effect on longevity. Stroke remains the same. They also use the exact same block.

Ford DOES have the means, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Think of the current 3.5 vs 3.7 the same as a terminator shortblock versus a regular 4.6. The 3.5 has better internals.

If you want 500 hp you better buy the 5.0, even then it isn't easy.

That's extremely narrow minded at best

wonder how eco will run tunes and cai...:idea:

We will only be limited to the max power output of the twin turbos, in factory form of course :) I see no major problems achieving 500HP with the ECOboost motors.

A lighter truck with a more powerful V8 could beat a V6? :wow:

Won't be anything special.

Another narrow minded comment

Show me the fastest vehicle you know of that has less than 8 cyliders and I'll show you a faster V8.

I will show you 4 cyl's smoking V8's. There's nothing wrong with smaller displacement motors. You don't have to have a v8 to be fast. Do you want to see a 4cyl mustang that runs in the 8's? How many S197's, 4.6 OR 5.0 are running in the 8's?????

A 3.5 ecoboost in a Mustang would be a better performer than any of the ecoboosts that came previously. In the SHO, Flex, ect., the Ecoboost output was limited by the transmission and AWD platform not being able to handle more than 350ftlb of torque. In the F150 the ecoboost is limited because it is in a truck. Sure the drivetrain can take the abuse, but the engine has to be able to pull 11,000 loads without pinging and over heating with 87 octane.

In a Mustang you have a transmission and axle that can handle the power output but without the requirement to tow and haul major loads. I'd much prefer an ecoboost 5.0 in the Mustang but the 3.5 might fit a niche in the next several years in the Mustang.

To me the 5.0 in the mustang is a step up from the 4.6 but it's not enough reason for me to buy another mustang. Now if ford got smart and put the ecoboost in a mustang I will be FIRST IN LINE for one. I think ford had to release the 5.0L before the ecoboost as not to steal the thunder of their prized 5.0L. They also don't want the V8 guys didn't get their feelings hurt when the lowly 6 cyl's are outrunning the big dog V8's.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Buick Grand National in 1982, How long did it take a V8 to catch up and be as street able ?

You obviously have a serious hard on for V8s which indeed can make more power but there are many V6 cars making more HP per CUI than V8s.

Dont be so close minded and be open to learning.

Surely you can do better than that. Really, all I have to top is a grand national? Too easy, try again. Find something fast this time.

That's extremely narrow minded at best

You must own a V6....

Another narrow minded comment
That a lighter, more powerful vehicle is faster?

I will show you 4 cyl's smoking V8's. There's nothing wrong with smaller displacement motors. You don't have to have a v8 to be fast. Do you want to see a 4cyl mustang that runs in the 8's? How many S197's, 4.6 OR 5.0 are running in the 8's?????
1,000's.

Ok, then show me the fastest 4 or 6 cylinder you know of and I will show you a faster V8....

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Close minded, Your posts really show ignorance on your part. As I stated already, there are many smaller engines out there producing more HP/CUI in NA form than bigger V8 engines.

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
There is so much fail in this thread including those that don't understand how bore plays into mitigating detonation on a boosted engine and maintaining cylinder integrity.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
You will not be impressed with the new EcoBoost F150. I test drove one the other day and was not happy with the "pick up" (no pun intended) when smashing the pedal to the floor. I am leaving my options open to buying one still but I thought it would have been faster. I think my 2007 Nissan Titan with a K&N drop in filter and UpRev tune could easily beat the F150 EcoBoost.

I dont know if you can compare the two vehicles your talking about, due to the mods yours has. I dont know how the titan responds to such mods, but I could agree with your statement about your truck beating a stock ecoboost (or at least the two would be equal) but mod for mod I would think that the ecoboost would run away with that. But really...who cares right? They are not build for racing.:beerchug2: Also I am surprised you were not impressed with the new motor. I drove both the 5.0 and ecoboost and though the 5.0 was the weak sauce. Also from reading on some of the F150 forums, a lot of owners are not very pleased with the 5.0 either, and wish they would bought the ecoboost.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I was not impressed with the Ecoboost in the SHO, but I was impressed with it in the Flex. My friend just got an Ecoboost F150 I should race him in my Escalade. He has already commented on the laggy throttle response and reluctance to downshift.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Dude comparing a motor that came out 11 years later in a 2200lb car, excellent point lmfao. Im done with you, you have no concept.

You picked that platform. I gave you a second chance. Told you to pick something else. :owned2:

Of course, everyone knows the outcome would have been the same no matter what you picked.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
You must own a V6....

No I have a 2007 GT 4.6L (that's been paid off over a year now :)) that runs nitrous. When these bottles are empty I'll be putting on the turbo kit I bought off a member here. I also have a mustang SVO, well two actually but one I bought mostly for parts. After afterything is said and done I'll put my money on my highly moddified 4cyl.

That a lighter, more powerful vehicle is faster?

My point is that it doesn't have to have a V8 to be "faster".

Yeah, and out of the 8,471 members here only 3 are in the 8's.

Ok, then show me the fastest 4 or 6 cylinder you know of and I will show you a faster V8....

By that logic I guess we all should up the anti to v12's right. Or even V16's?

Obviously ALL THINGS EQUAL the larger displacement engine caries with it MORE POTENTIAL. My point is to run fast as shit doesn't always require a V8.

Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
No I have a 2007 GT 4.6L (that's been paid off over a year now :)) that runs nitrous. When these bottles are empty I'll be putting on the turbo kit I bought off a member here. I also have a mustang SVO, well two actually but one I bought mostly for parts. After afterything is said and done I'll put my money on my highly moddified 4cyl.

My point is that it doesn't have to have a V8 to be "faster".

Yeah, and out of the 8,471 members here only 3 are in the 8's.

By that logic I guess we all should up the anti to v12's right. Or even V16's?

Obviously ALL THINGS EQUAL the larger displacement engine caries with it MORE POTENTIAL. My point is to run fast as shit doesn't always require a V8.

urdum

There are over 8000 slow cars on here. This isn't a racing site. V8>V6,I6,I4. You can't manipulate facts to make it any different. I'm sorry your opinion is wrong, but if you want to challenge me feel free to post up something fast.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Over the course of the next 4-5 months a 3.7 will be twin turboed and bottom line it will be a great platform that makes more HP than is really useable on the street. It will retain the 30-31 mgp at least and with around 8lbs of boost will live quite happily around 430+ rwhp. Just wait a while and stop trying to argue with the 5.0 guys.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
But why? Whats that going to prove considering neither vehicle is made for that?

Just a curiosity, and you certainly don't think I bought an Escalade to drag race it do you?

urdum

There are over 8000 slow cars on here. This isn't a racing site. V8>V6,I6,I4. You can't manipulate facts to make it any different. I'm sorry your opinion is wrong, but if you want to challenge me feel free to post up something fast.

I don't agree with you often but yes the fastest cars on planet earth have 8 cylinders.

Over the course of the next 4-5 months a 3.7 will be twin turboed and bottom line it will be a great platform that makes more HP than is really useable on the street. It will retain the 30-31 mgp at least and with around 8lbs of boost will live quite happily around 430+ rwhp. Just wait a while and stop trying to argue with the 5.0 guys.

And when that motor goes pop, they will realize that 200 cc of displacement isn't worth it versus having an engine already built for boost. Not to mention it will only be a matter of time before F150 Ecoboost engines are fairly easy to come by.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I don't agree with you often but yes the fastest cars on planet earth have 8 cylinders.

And when that motor goes pop, they will realize that 200 cc of displacement isn't worth it versus having an engine already built for boost. Not to mention it will only be a matter of time before F150 Ecoboost engines are fairly easy to come by.

lol.

This ricer logic talk in here cracks me up. 8psi on a 3.7 adds 165+ hp according to that guy. :thud:Then, 430+ hp and 31 mpg :wow:. Then he thinks it will last. :thumb2:

Motor isn't built for that much boost and it won't make many passes on it.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
lol.

This ricer logic talk in here cracks me up. 8psi on a 3.7 adds 165+ hp according to that guy. :thud:Then, 430+ hp and 31 mpg :wow:. Then he thinks it will last. :thumb2:

Motor isn't built for that much boost and it won't make many passes on it.

I should have mentioned a little acronym that goes by BSFC..

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
If I had listened to everyone tell me over the last few years that stuff can't be done, It won't fit and it's gonna blow up then I would have been just as closed minded as you people are. The 3.7 is built to the same standards as the 5.0. And if you think 8 lbs won't last on the 3.7 call Procharger and tell them to stop producing thier blowers before they make a huge mistake.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
If I had listened to everyone tell me over the last few years that stuff can't be done, It won't fit and it's gonna blow up then I would have been just as closed minded as you people are. The 3.7 is built to the same standards as the 5.0. And if you think 8 lbs won't last on the 3.7 call Procharger and tell them to stop producing thier blowers before they make a huge mistake.

Yet you don't understand BSFC or why the 3.5 Ecoboost is much better for boost, or why Ford chose the smaller bore 3.5 to boost instead of the larger 3.7? Please tell us why a larger bore is so beneficial for managing detonation?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back