3.7 Eco-Boost & Direct Injection

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lol.

This ricer logic talk in here cracks me up. 8psi on a 3.7 adds 165+ hp according to that guy. :thud:Then, 430+ hp and 31 mpg :wow:. Then he thinks it will last. :thumb2:

Motor isn't built for that much boost and it won't make many passes on it.

The 3.5 EcoBoost has 12 psi from the factory. Some guys are tweaking them for 15-18psi from the minimal research I've done without any failures. I believe over 400 HP at the wheels has already happened.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The 3.5 EcoBoost has 12 psi from the factory. Some guys are tweaking them for 15-18psi from the minimal research I've done without any failures. I believe over 400 HP at the wheels has already happened.

You are agreeing with him, which is why the Ecoboost is a much better engine for boost than the 3.7 which is built for N/A.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are agreeing with him, which is why the Ecoboost is a much better engine for boost than the 3.7 which is built for N/A.

The difference is small. 2mm on the bore. Not enough to really matter either way.

But fine change it all to 3.5 EcoBoost with GDI. It'll still match the N/A 5.0 for HP and out torque it across the board. And most likely beat the 5.0 in fuel economy too.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Nissan GTR.

I talk to a guy every so often that is having a R1K GTR built it should be almost 1100 awhp by the time that its done. A RWD car with 100 or 200 more rwhp and weighing less 95% of the time would be left so far behind that it would not even be fair.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The difference is small. 2mm on the bore. Not enough to really matter either way.

But fine change it all to 3.5 EcoBoost with GDI. It'll still match the N/A 5.0 for HP and out torque it across the board. And most likely beat the 5.0 in fuel economy too.

So DI and a smaller bore do nothing for flame propagation , or detonation resistance with boost? And the automakers routinely do it because cylinder wall integrity with an open deck isn't important either?

Wait you just compared a FI engine with a N/A one I am probably speaking Chinese to you.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was answering 5.0 guy's question.

MT had the shootout between the GT 500/GTR and ZO6 and the GTR was the winner...it is $90K but it is only 6 cylinders.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So DI and a smaller bore do nothing for flame propagation , or detonation resistance with boost? And the automakers routinely do it because cylinder wall integrity with an open deck isn't important either?

Wait you just compared a FI engine with a N/A one I am probably speaking Chinese to you.

You are making assumptions that are so wild and biased about me and my level of knowledge on this topic, I will no longer bother addressing you in this thread. You've taken this thread totally where it was not intended to go.

At this point I feel like if I say white you say bull frog. I'm talking one thing, your on a different planet.

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
You are making assumptions that are so wild and biased about me and my level of knowledge on this topic, I will no longer bother addressing you in this thread. You've taken this thread totally where it was not intended to go.

At this point I feel like if I say white you say bull frog. I'm talking one thing, your on a different planet.

Than quit spewing off useless bits of info as to why you think the 3.7 is so good for boost. When people may idiotic comments like oh its only .2 liter of displacement than I usually assume that they really don't have any idea how bore relates to boosted engine longevity and detonation resistance.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.....I usually assume.........

Well, there's your problem right there.

Since you seem to be extolling your vast knowledge, allow me to ask you this...

If increasing the bore 2mm (3.5 to 3.7 difference) would mess up the flame front and induce other issues as you claim, why does the LS 6.0 with it's 4.00" bore (vs the 3.76" 3.7L bore) not have significant boost issues? I really don't know the answer to this. Since you are so smart maybe you can educate me and others. The LS 6.0 seems to like boost. As do the 302 and the 351 which also have 4.00" bores.

And yes I do agree that the 3.5 with it's smaller bore would be more stable under boost. But I question how much more stable it is than the 3.7 would be.

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Well, there's your problem right there.

Since you seem to be extolling your vast knowledge, allow me to ask you this...

If increasing the bore 2mm (3.5 to 3.7 difference) would mess up the flame front and induce other issues as you claim, why does the LS 6.0 with it's 4.00" bore (vs the 3.76" 3.7L bore) not have significant boost issues? I really don't know the answer to this. Since you are so smart maybe you can educate me and others. The LS 6.0 seems to like boost. As do the 302 and the 351 which also have 4.00" bores.

And yes I do agree that the 3.5 with it's smaller bore would be more stable under boost. But I question how much more stable it is than the 3.7 would be.

You are comparing modified engines compared to factory engines, lets look at how many manufacturers typically rely on a smaller bore for the reasons I previously explained. Porsche is one of the only manufacturers that run a significant amout of boost with a big bore. Also not to mention the cylinder cooling attributes of DI and how that contributes to longevity on relatively high compression motors running boost.

But for the most part you are agreeing with me, the bore differences alone are hard to measure as far as how they affect longevity. But DI and the smaller bore I believe to contribute fairly significantly to the overall picture. Ford has some of the best engine engineers on the planet and I am convinced that the 3.5 Ecoboost remains far better for boost than the 3.7L. But again that is just my opinion.

One thing to consider as well the Duratec 35 and Ecoboost are open deck engines.

:beerchug2: I did not intend to offend you by the way!

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Don't even have to post anything else. Some of you guys are really dumb on here.

It might be a different story on the street, I am willing to bet that R1K GTR would yank almost anyone on this site on the street on DOT tires. There are also 996 and 997 911 Turbo's that are in the same boat with only 6 cylinders. I know a guy with an EVO that runs 8.70's at 161 mph....on pump E85 on DR's...he has never lost to a RWD car with even 100 rwhp more. Most RWD cars powerful enough to run 8's won't hook on a DOT tire.

Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
It might be a different story on the street, I am willing to be that R1K GTR would yank almost anyone on this site on the street on DOT tires.

I don't street race so it doesn't concern me. I like the cars, but that doesn't change the fact that V8 rwd>*

The fastest skylines in the world are rwd, just to give you awd boys some ideas of how stuff works in the real world.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't even have to post anything else. Some of you guys are really dumb on here.

Yes you are..don't back pedal now big mouth..your post:

Show me the fastest vehicle you know of that has less than 8 cyliders and I'll show you a faster V8

I did; the Nissan GTR and now you want to add in well..has to be RWD vice AWD, blah blah blah. :asshat::owned2:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I don't street race so it doesn't concern me. I like the cars, but that doesn't change the fact that V8 rwd>*

The fastest skylines in the world are rwd, just to give you awd boys some ideas of how stuff works in the real world.

Yes when you break it down ....the fastest cars in the planet are V8 and RWD. And if you were so smart you would know Skylines are mostly RWD anyway. I could give you a breakdown on how Nissan's ATTESA-ETS system works but I am afraid it may fall on deaf ears. I am agreeing with you but also saying that things are not always so cut and dry.

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

What I think is dumb is you thinking a V8 is the end all best engine. I understand your thinking but do not agree with it. The reason the V8's are so fast is because of the amount on production in them and the aftermarket taking to them. I'm sure if the world was never introduced to a V8 and it was a V10 that would have been in automobiles since 1930 then the V10 would be the fastest engine. It's all about history as far as this conversation is concerned.

Also I think no one is dumb on here for commenting even though it doesn't coincide with your rational thinking.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Yes you are..don't back pedal now big mouth..your post:

Show me the fastest vehicle you know of that has less than 8 cyliders and I'll show you a faster V8

I did; the Nissan GTR and now you want to add in well..has to be RWD vice AWD, blah blah blah. :asshat::owned2:
lolwat?

I never made any stipulations on requirements. Show me a gtr faster than the video I just posted?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back