Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get all the glue off if it is still sticky? I've done a few quick spray repairs to get it to stick. I'm starting over! There isn't any of the dry foam left. Just what the leather panels adhere to.

I've had good luck with GooGone getting glue residue off. You'll just need to make sure to clean REALLY good because it will also stop new glue from adhering properly.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with GooGone getting glue residue off. You'll just need to make sure to clean REALLY good because it will also stop new glue from adhering properly.

So before I start tearing everything off. I am taking off the middle piece off and not reusing it. The new panel is going right on the plastic part. With nothing in between.

Attachments

• IMG_6259.jpg
    IMG_6259.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 32

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get all the glue off if it is still sticky? I've done a few quick spray repairs to get it to stick. I'm starting over! There isn't any of the dry foam left. Just what the leather panels adhere to.
you need to remove the armrest as it is a one piece insert .
i sanded it . don't use a wire brush.and the glue i used i sprayed on with a air gun , i got the glue from a local headliner guy .
and that foam i do believe is the actual glue used from the factory
i could be wrong .
its just like a headliner .

Last edited:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
I finally gave in and fixed mine, again... First time I used contact cement and it didn't work nearly as good as this Loctite 300 spray adhesive and some blue welt piping. Came out pretty good I think.

1ccddd3f7c21d43dabac69eeb5e769a9.jpg

e09f5d221050a94af36fda1ff6c830aa.jpg

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
I finally gave in and fixed mine, again... First time I used contact cement and it didn't work nearly as good as this Loctite 300 spray adhesive and some blue welt piping. Came out pretty good I think.

1ccddd3f7c21d43dabac69eeb5e769a9.jpg

e09f5d221050a94af36fda1ff6c830aa.jpg

Where did you get the piping? My D/S panel just started falling the other day. Must be the last remaining panel that hasn't fallen lol.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Dont waste you time using contact cement; most of the ones I've done with it have come off after a few months to up to a year.

The loctite adhesive looks interesting; I've been using the 3M heavy duty glue in a spray can and that has held up very well.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Where did you get the piping? My D/S panel just started falling the other day. Must be the last remaining panel that hasn't fallen lol.

Lol, my passenger side fell two years ago. Now my side is starting to sag a bit. It won't be long...

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score

Got the 1/8" pvc welt piping on eBay. Took about 15ft to do both sides.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
How do you apply the piping?

Just push it in...if for some reason in certain areas it won't go in all the way just trim off a little. Very easy to install... Little trick I found when the two ends meet is to cut a tooth pick to about 1/2" long and insert into each end and push them together to the door and it gives it a nice clean seem less look.

Jasber

Reaction score
I went with the solid pieces from LMR. They are great. They do need a little sanding to fit but nothing major.

The reviews aren't that great on those. Otherwise I'd consider them for my wife's '06

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Dont waste you time using contact cement; most of the ones I've done with it have come off after a few months to up to a year.

The loctite adhesive looks interesting; I've been using the 3M heavy duty glue in a spray can and that has held up very well.

I second this! I used the contact cement last fall and the recent 80+ degree weather caused it to start sagging again. I just hope I can cleanup the contact cement and try something better, possibly the Loctite.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
I second this! I used the contact cement last fall and the recent 80+ degree weather caused it to start sagging again. I just hope I can cleanup the contact cement and try something better, possibly the Loctite.

I've had good luck with the 3M Super Trim Adhesive.

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
Sooo after reading this Thread , I've decided to upgrade my door panels . Starting to get a little sag but nothing major . I ordered some Blue Carbon Fiber marine grade vinyl and some grey 1/8" piping . Will update this post with pictures of my progress .

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of converting mine to '10-14 style door panels as I got tired of the inserts. Planning to do a writeup when it's done. Got both panels for $275 (were originally $325, but one had some damage so they gave me $50 back), so it wasn't a budget breaker, they were cheaper than most decent black door panels I see on ebay.

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
So here's what i accomplished. Not 100% perfect , but the best i could do

Attachments

• IMG_20170216_175657.jpg
    IMG_20170216_175657.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back