GT500 HID Headlights Swap

must007

forum member
Reaction score
Replaced stock headlights on 10/11 GT with GT500 HID headlights and retained low and high beams using stock switch on steering column.

1. Removed front bumper cover
2. Replaced stock headlights GT500 HID, 3 bolts hold them in place
3. Reinstalled front bumper cover
4. Installed one relay next to the fuse box to power the HID ballast with battery 12 volts
5. Cut out stock driver and passenger headlight 3 wire pigtail and replaced with new 4 wire pigtail
6. 1st wired low beam on new pigtail to new wire installed and ran across to passenger side new pigtail low beam and passenger side stock low beam (blue wire)
7. 2nd wired stock ground on both sides to new pigtail ground
8. 3rd wired the power out from the relay installed in step 4 and ran that power to passenger side new pigtail ballast and ran a new wire across to the divers side new pigtail ballast connecting both sides together
9. 4th wired the stock high beam (brown wire) on the dirves side to new pigtail high beam
10. 5th Installed a second relay and attached to bottom forward side on the fuse box to power the low beams when you select high beams
11. 6th wired the stock high beam (yellow wire) to the stock high beam on the new pigtail and also connected that (yellow wire) to the second relay to trigger it to power the low beams when you select high beams, yes you will put power from the second relay to the low beam stock (blue wire) and its being triggered by the stock high beam (yellow wire) on the passenger side.
12. I cleaned up all wires with electrical tape for a stock look
13. in step 6 and 8 i ran the new wires along the harness in front of radiator

The green wires are from the new pigtails all 4 wires are green.

Parts need are GT500 HID complete headlight assmeblys, two new 4 wire pigtails from FORD for the new HID headlights (I do have pigtail P/N from FORD), tow relays, wire and electrical tape black or what ever color you prefer

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup.

I think you're the only other person on here besides me who actually likes the HIDs.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the install details!

I like the HIDs, but wish they weren't cross-eyed.

Where'd you get them?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats, nice write-up!

I LOVE my HIDs. They were a "must have" when I updated from my '07 GT/CS.

must007

forum member
Reaction score
Sky Render, I just didn’t like the appearance of the stock headlights and the gt500 hid lights enhance the front end look

S197, got them on e-bay

chutoyy

forum member
Reaction score
NICE. I was going to try this.. but didn't have the money. LOL

btw, willing to sell your stock headlights for dirt cheap? =]

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Nice writeup.

I think you're the only other person on here besides me who actually likes the HIDs.

Add me to that list (I ordered them as an option from the factory). I like their performance and their appearance - IMO they give the car a more modern, sinister look. Very happy with mine!

And nice write-up by the OP for those interested in doing this. Love these DIY write-ups!

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
Sorry this is bit off-topic but I noticed you have the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger and are able to get a strut brace in there with what looks like the stock hood. Is that the Boss or V6 brace or is it something else?

must007

forum member
Reaction score
chutoyy, make offer

blackmustang12 & Kris_H, as far as know and seen they are the same on the 5.0 and GT500

yellowrubiu, its the stock strut brace from a 2010 GT and the stock hood

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
I like them as well, since my first car was wrecked by the shipping company I ordered the second with the addition of the HID's!

Tib02

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing that kept me form the HID's was that you needed to add the security option to the car. Basically, they sold you wheel locks...

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
The only thing that kept me form the HID's was that you needed to add the security option to the car. Basically, they sold you wheel locks...

Also active security with motion, tilt, and glass-break sensors. But yeah, also wheel locks. I didn't install mine.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Like Hawkeye said, it's more than wheel locks. It's also an active anti-theft system.

I one time went into a store and my wife stayed in the car. I locked the doors with the remote, and about a minute later the alarm went off because my wife shifted position in her seat.

It also lowered my insurance by about $5 a month. :thumb:

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
Hahaha, I've totally done that to my wife, too. At a Wawa. For 10 minutes. She was NOT HAPPY.

Also, I've discovered interestingly enough that if you lock the car with the windows down, the alarm will go off if somebody walks next to the car. I thought the motion sensors were supposed to be disabled with the windows down? Whatevs.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back