'11 5.0 GT, and '12 Boss production rod comparison.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
For those interested, I have a production '11 GT rod and piston, and '12 Boss rod and piston side by side. The one on the right is the boss rod, you can see they've got a little more "beef" in them, but are otherwise very similar. Dimensionally they're exactly the same. Thought I'd share.

e8e44a1d.jpg

84495bd3.jpg

41b6a590.jpg

98b46637.jpg

The BOSS Pistons are the dark Mahle's, the stock GT pistons are the bright ones:

2fbb5919.jpg

10799018.jpg

ff388f83.jpg

dbf2337d.jpg

0cbf6f40.jpg

Stock GT rod bent all kinds of ways:

4763e255.jpg

a346de36.jpg

6aa2d9ce.jpg

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It's the same "powdered forging" and "cracked" caps that the GT and GT500's get. The rod itself just has more material than the stock GT rod.

The stock GT rods have really proven their strength, so the Boss rods should be plenty capable even though they're not the typical Manley type H-beams we're used to seeing in forged motors.

I have these rods because we're installing the Boss rods and pistons in my buddys '11 GT. He melted a couple pistons a few months ago, and this was the most economical way of building it back up better than it was.

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
neither really look to impressive to me. but the stockers seem to be doing ok so i guess theyre good to go

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
PM rods hold up pretty well, thanks for the pics.

How much were the boss pistons/rods compared to aftermarket?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
ok.. ill ask the dumb questions..

how did your buddy melt the pistons?

also why go boss since he has to replace them.. why not get real forged stuff?

Joser281

Reaction score
It's the same "powdered forging" and "cracked" caps that the GT and GT500's get. The rod itself just has more material than the stock GT rod.

The stock GT rods have really proven their strength, so the Boss rods should be plenty capable even though they're not the typical Manley type H-beams we're used to seeing in forged motors.

I have these rods because we're installing the Boss rods and pistons in my buddys '11 GT. He melted a couple pistons a few months ago, and this was the most economical way of building it back up better than it was.

ok.. ill ask the dumb questions..

how did your buddy melt the pistons?

also why go boss since he has to replace them.. why not get real forged stuff?

Ahem :poke:<---I finally have a reason to use this smiley, lol

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting.

I am going to guess and say they are way cheaper then forged aftermarket ones taht seem to start around 1200ish for rods and pistons.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
What piston combo are you going with along with the rods? I've you have the BOSS pistons I'd love to see a side by side of those.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The reason we went this route was cost. They're dirt cheap right now. The pistons are Boss as well and are forged Mahle's which are far superior to the stock GT pistons.

I have both pistons here, I'll post up pics in a few mins to show the difference.

As for why he melted a couple pistons (and bent several rods0, it's got a Procharger F1A and he got a little too greedy with boost and maxed out the fuel pump and/or injectors on the dyno. Once it's back together some fuel system upgrades are going in so hopefully it doesn't do it again.

Original post updated with lots more pics of pistons, and stock bent rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Can you share the price with us?

Seems to be a great idea, if it saves several hundred dollars.

Thanks!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Rods were $20 each, pistons were $65 each, and rings were $80. So $760 for the Boss parts plus main/head bolts, all gaskets, and fluids. Balance the rotating assembly...The Boss rings are a different part number than the GT rings so we got those as well. Everything is getting dropped off at the machine shop today.

Those prices are with my discount, but Tousley (or me) could duplicate those prices assuming Ford doesn't raise them (likely will).

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
F1a on a stock block... haha

Damn your buddy got balls swinging from his ankles. You should have him do a build up thread with pictures.. I wish I could see everything getting done.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Rods were $20 each, pistons were $65 each, and rings were $80. So $760 for the Boss parts plus main/head bolts, all gaskets, and fluids. Balance the rotating assembly...The Boss rings are a different part number than the GT rings so we got those as well. Everything is getting dropped off at the machine shop today.

Those prices are with my discount, but Tousley (or me) could duplicate those prices assuming Ford doesn't raise them (likely will).

What is the typical machine shop cost for balancing and short block assembly?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
He and I will be assembling the shortblock (the entire engine actually) ourselves, but balancing is anywhere from $150-$200 (the shop I use charges $200).

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
What is the typical machine shop cost for balancing and short block assembly?

You can usually get a good machine shop to balance and assemble your parts in a short block for about $800 give or take $100

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score

Thats pretty cheap for the rods, I assume the pistons are 4032 and not 2618 but thats still better than the GT pistons. If they dont jack up the prices thats a cheap way to go for sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back