Cam Tech Thread

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Jermey lol, Im lost draw me a map. Seriously. So let me see if I understand the steps correctly. Minius valve cover and wiring crap.
1. Work with one side at a time
2. Depending on what side your working on make sure there is the least amount of pressure being applied to springs and followrs. Rotate engine if needed to remove more pressure (cam position)
3. Once step 2 is completed, make marks on phaser and chain for alignment
4. put wedge in place
5. remove phaser bolt
6. remove phaser
7. move chain off to the side
8. start removing cam bearing cap bolts slowly in a reverse torque sequence
9 Remove caps and cam
10. put new cam in place and try to align the cam with keyway on phaser
before trying to tightin the cam cap bolts down?
11. torque cam cap bolts down
12. place phaser with chain attached on to the new cam
13. put a new tty bolt in phaser and tightin down
Am I missing anything here? Or does anything need to be corrected or added? I am going to leave followers in place without compressing the valve springs.

Last edited:

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Subscribed.....wish I could take a class on cams.

Specs on the Brenspeed S/C cams I picked up:
DSC04777.jpg

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to learn how to build engines professionaly. I wish my work/life would allow me to take a course.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, what is the max lift you can run without piston to valve clearance with the vct locked full advanced?

I have Manley 18cc dish pistons 9:1 with stock ford head gaskets with .008 deck hiegth.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, what is the max lift you can run without piston to valve clearance with the vct locked full advanced?

I have Manley 18cc dish pistons 9:1 with stock ford head gaskets with .008 deck hiegth.

Anyone know this one?

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
I thought about making a new post but since this is cam tech I have to ask:

Im in the process of decreeing cams on my new motor. Ive been told by the person who designed and cut the cams to set my centerline at X degrees. To verify center line I must go .005 past max lift and then come back to .005 before max lift, add the degrees and then divide by 2 and that will be my centerline. My concern is, I don't care about the slack that develops when I go counter clockwise. I might be thinking out of the box but that slack that I get going backwards will never occur because the slack is created because of the way the tensioners work going forward. Shouldn't I just take measurments going clockwise and set my centerline to the max lift going forward ?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you do go backwards I would turn it far enough to where you can take it back forward and take the slack out of the chains. I have done it that way setting valves so you don't have to go 360* to get back to where it needs to be.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back