Strano Perfromance MT-82 Shift Improvement kit

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I've been messing with some stuff on my car, and found 3 things to help a lot. So I put the 3 together in a kit, and offer it at a bit of a discount.

You can follow the link, but basically I have put Steeda's Tri-Ax shifter, their Shifter base/bushing kit, and some Redline MTL together in a package and at a bit of a discount.

I can tell you all things helped my car tremendously. Might just be the MT-82 isn't that bad, but that the shifter and the mounting in the car sucks so badly that you end up with a vague mess. And it makes sense... the soft rubber stock bushing allows the trans to move all over. The baseplate on the stock shifter is a joke too. And MTL has always helped cars with iffy gear engagement work a lot better.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?ModelID=35&PartID=825

corruptor

Reaction score
Good stuff. I did the bushing already and do find it improves "predictability" of finding the right gear.

Waiting on whether Ford is going to do anything before I decide to put MTL in this car. My MT82 feels fine after the car is warm, but before then 2nd gear engagement really feels like crap unless I double clutch when upshifting.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Good stuff. I did the bushing already and do find it improves "predictability" of finding the right gear.

Waiting on whether Ford is going to do anything before I decide to put MTL in this car. My MT82 feels fine after the car is warm, but before then 2nd gear engagement really feels like crap unless I double clutch when upshifting.
perhaps youre granny shifting or not double clutching like you should?

Reaction score
How long have you been running the MTL in your car and is the MTL viscosity the same as the QDC or QS?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Sam- what is the NVH like with the steeda bushing and shifter?

No H.... a little transmission N, a tiny big of V from the bushing. But all 10000% acceptable to me, and since you have the choice of two different bushings you can pick the one you prefer. :)

How long have you been running the MTL in your car and is the MTL viscosity the same as the QDC or QS?

A few months now... No issues. Ford won't tell you the viscosity of their fluid, and in fact the TSB changes fluid to a thinner one to help with cold shifting. The MTL meets the QS spec.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
No H.... a little transmission N, a tiny big of V from the bushing. But all 10000% acceptable to me, and since you have the choice of two different bushings you can pick the one you prefer. :)

A few months now... No issues. Ford won't tell you the viscosity of their fluid, and in fact the TSB changes fluid to a thinner one to help with cold shifting. The MTL meets the QS spec.

Did you utilize the fluid during cold months?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
The car isn't driven in the winter, but often when it's 40 degrees in the fall and spring. But even when "cold" @ 60 degrees, it's better.

Reaction score
The car isn't driven in the winter, but often when it's 40 degrees in the fall and spring. But even when "cold" @ 60 degrees, it's better.

Yea, that's what i wanted to know. Those are the problem areas when shifting with my car also is during the brisk fall and spring mornings.

wproctor411

forum member
Reaction score

I agree with this 100% and nice discount on the parts. I paid $300 just for the shifter and your offering the bushing and fluids for another $40.00 which is a good deal. The minimal NVH isn't noticed since you can shift the car with one finger and almost no effort. Nice to see Steeda has a bushing now. I used the Steeda/Barton combo. No issues. I also switched fluids to Lucas which works great but I may try out the MTL. The 2-3 shift is vastly improved by the Steeda shifter.

:thanks1:

Apex

SloMoCo
Reaction score
+1.. I have the steeda tri ax and barton shifter plate and stock fluid and my trans is wonderful and never had a single issue. The stock shifter and plate are GOD AWFUL!

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm new to the mustang (had mine about a month) but coming from a car that I had spent a lot of time and money getting to shift right this is the first thing I ordered. I ended up going with the MGW shifter, my question is other than a short shifter and the fluid, is there anything else I can replace while I'm in there to improve the setup? That Steeda bushing looks a lot like one of the bushings that came today with my MGW. I was going to install tomorrow afternoon but I will hold off if there is even an extra bushing I can replace that the mgw kit didn't already come with. Thanks in advance fellas.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Not to hijack but using the Barton shifter with deflection bracket and RP 75w-90 gear oil is the combo I am using and the car shifts great. The DCT fluid Ford is using for the TSB to replace the QMS stuff from the factory is a 75w-90 gear oil for those wanting to know.

Swoope

Reaction score
I'm new to the mustang (had mine about a month) but coming from a car that I had spent a lot of time and money getting to shift right this is the first thing I ordered. I ended up going with the MGW shifter, my question is other than a short shifter and the fluid, is there anything else I can replace while I'm in there to improve the setup? That Steeda bushing looks a lot like one of the bushings that came today with my MGW. I was going to install tomorrow afternoon but I will hold off if there is even an extra bushing I can replace that the mgw kit didn't already come with. Thanks in advance fellas.

the mgw is not available yet for the 2011/2012 yet. this is the 2011 and up section.:)

beers

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score

Off topic but you won't be disappointed by the MGW. Made a huge difference to my 07. I love it.

Apologies... Now back on topic

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
^^totally owned, I just clicked through a link I saw from Sam in the corner carving section. Didnt notice 2011+, my apologies fellas.

Swoope

Reaction score
^^totally owned, I just clicked through a link I saw from Sam in the corner carving section. Didnt notice 2011+, my apologies fellas.

not owned, it reminded me to check the status of the 2011 shifter... it is supposed to be very good.

beers

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Not to be too blunt, but allow me to drag this back on track....

I've sold a few of these kits already, in fact I've had to order more parts for the kit! Mine is working great. The Steeda shifter does what it is supposed to do, it's available... and does not cause you to go broke.

Honestly, Barton is a lot more money and I think it's too short... and for less money we're giving you fluid too! MGW isn't even around yet, but frankly there is only so much you can do on a shifter.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Not to be too blunt, but allow me to drag this back on track....

I've sold a few of these kits already, in fact I've had to order more parts for the kit! Mine is working great. The Steeda shifter does what it is supposed to do, it's available... and does not cause you to go broke.

Honestly, Barton is a lot more money and I think it's too short... and for less money we're giving you fluid too! MGW isn't even around yet, but frankly there is only so much you can do on a shifter.

The very reason I chose the Barton is because it has a 40% throw reduction. I have no idea why anyone would call it too short. Every owner of this shifter would agree it is one of the best, if not the best on the market hands down. It is well worth the money and any owner can get 75w-90 RP at their local automotive store.

You haven't found a secret that several of us haven't already discovered and there are alternatives for those who choose to go this route hence my original post.

Is this a tech thread or a sales thread?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

It is my thread... Which got derailed. Second, I'm including fluid and Royal Purple 75/90 is not the same kind of fluid as Redline MTL.

And for one, I think 40% is too short, I hate it.... much the same way I prefer a keyboard that gives some feedback vs. a touchscreen cramming 6 gear locations into that much smaller space is just asking for issues for folks like me who not only go up gears quickly, but down too. Drag races like short crap, road racers don't so much because we have to shift while setting up corners and heel and toeing too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back