2011/2012 pcm?

forum member
Reaction score
Is it possible to buy a 2011/2012 PCM and swap them back and forth. One with a tune and one stock? I see they sell one with the 5.0 crate motor,but says if installed on a 2011-later Mustang it will not start.

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
Is it possible to buy a 2011/2012 PCM and swap them back and forth. One with a tune and one stock? I see they sell one with the 5.0 crate motor,but says if installed on a 2011-later Mustang it will not start.

The PCM's are tied to the keys you have with the car so, no go.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
You could still do it even if the keys are tied to the pcm. You would just have to have a friend at a ford dealer set it up for you. It can be done.

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
You could still do it even if the keys are tied to the pcm. You would just have to have a friend at a ford dealer set it up for you. It can be done.

Good luck with that. Ain't gonna happen.

Plus it is way too much trouble to go through even if you could somehow get it done.

Don't mod/tune if you can't afford to be caught if something catastrophic does happen because your tuner is an idiot who tries to squeeze 5 more rwhp out of it by turning off knock sensors and running more timing than you should be.

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
This is something a lot of the GM guys do and have been doing for years......

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Not anymore... with the new camaro GM will not send out PCM unless they have yours in their hands and reprogram it. you just can't buy an extra one.

I've read that all over camaro5, tons of threads shot down because you can't GM to send one out.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Not anymore... with the new camaro GM will not send out PCM unless they have yours in their hands and reprogram it. you just can't buy an extra one.

I've read that all over camaro5, tons of threads shot down because you can't GM to send one out.

You can buy them all day long on EBay.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I mean a gm calibrated pcm for your camaro/vin etc...

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I only read up on GM not sending them out and people not being able to get an extra from GM, not self tuners hacking it back to life and throwing it in a car, that is another issue.

OAC_Sparky

Reaction score
With Ford, you have to send the PCM so the can flash it and send it back out. This is in part because info such as your odometer reading is stored in the ECU not the instrument cluster.

That's the "official skinny", YMMV on buying eBay or a wreckers. Also beware that in many places that using a second ECU can be construed by the DOT as the equivalent of "rolling back an odometer" since miles put on the second ECU aren't "on the clock".

Swoope

Reaction score
With Ford, you have to send the PCM so the can flash it and send it back out. This is in part because info such as your odometer reading is stored in the ECU not the instrument cluster.

That's the "official skinny", YMMV on buying eBay or a wreckers. Also beware that in many places that using a second ECU can be construed by the DOT as the equivalent of "rolling back an odometer" since miles put on the second ECU aren't "on the clock".

interesting,

nice to see you in all these new places! :)

beers

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
It can be done on GM cars. I know a few people who did this on the G8's. They have also did it on the Camaro. Use stock one for dealer and aftermarket one for your tune.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score

A larger dealer can do this, they 'marry' the ebay pcm to your key.
At least they did for us on a 06 Escape....cannot imagine a Mustang would be different?

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
A larger dealer can do this, they 'marry' the ebay pcm to your key.
At least they did for us on a 06 Escape....cannot imagine a Mustang would be different?
Its just finding the dealer to do it for you. Most are not stupid and know what you are going to do.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I only read up on GM not sending them out and people not being able to get an extra from GM, not self tuners hacking it back to life and throwing it in a car, that is another issue.

what you read was wrong.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back