Whipple throttle body problems

Synister500

Reaction score
I've read some people have had some issues with the Whipple Single Blade TB, but do any of you have any experience with their twin 75mm TB. Chris Jones is my tuner and we have tried multiple times to correct this with the tune but I am still having issues. The setup is a Whipple 2.9 with the crusher intake, JLT 127, Whipple TB, 3" pulley, ThumpRRR tensioner, kooks 1 7/8" LTH, O/R x-pipe, custom 3" exhaust to mufflers, 72 lbs injectors, Afco dual fan HE, 170* thermostat, and expanded coolant tanks. For some reason I only see about 14-15psi max boost at WOT (aftermarket gauge). I have ruled out any vacuum, intake and exhaust leaks just to be sure. Here is the problem, The car is running a little rich (we know that from data logging, car was tuned at the track while BBR was in Bowling Green for NMRA, not on a dyno) but every now and then the RPM will hang up around 2k rpm when coming to a stop. It is very aggravating and makes you feel like a jackass. I'm down to the point of using a different TB. I have a L&M 72mm on the way here (only thing I could get in black). Have any of you experienced the same problems or know someone who has? I've read its the tune just as much as I've read its the TB. I know this TB is too big for my set up but whipple sent it with the SC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have tried multiple tunes and I think it could a mechanical problem like the TB is physically sticking open after I have let out on the pedal. I can't imagine a way to actually check this though, I'm afraid it might screw up something allowing unmetered air into the intake. Also, does the amount of boost I'm seeing seen right (I imagined it would be closer to 18 with the CAI, TB, and intake). At idle it holds about 22psi of vacuum.

BJ

Boozshey

Reaction score
I was having the same hanging at high RPM's after a WOT pull. I don't know if I fixed it yet, but when I checked the voltage of my TB, it was like 1.8 volts. My stock one was 1.21... So I adjusted it down to as close as I could get it 1.22..

I haven't been to the track to do a true WOT pull but last night on the highway I didn't experience the same problem.

However, now I get a loud hissing sound when I burp the throttle. Checked it this morning and I couldn't find a leak.

Anyways, long story short... Did you adjust the TB to be at your stock TB voltage.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
common issue with the big mono blades, I have the same issue, I was told by Jon Lund more less "live with it or get a smaller TB"

Boozshey

Reaction score
I'm confused then. I thought the op said he has a 75mm twin blade and has a 72mm on the way.

If its the mono... yeah what stkjock said... which is why I now have a vmp twin blade.

Synister500

Reaction score
Anyways, long story short... Did you adjust the TB to be at your stock TB voltage.

I believe he did.

common issue with the big mono blades, I have the same issue, I was told by Jon Lund more less "live with it or get a smaller TB"

I know the 72mm is not much smaller but I'll let every know if it does correct the issue. For the 2.9 the 66mm would flow more air than the SC could anyway so 72 is still over kill. I wonder if it's the size of the TB or the brass gears...

I'm confused then. I thought the op said he has a 75mm twin blade and has a 72mm on the way.

If its the mono... yeah what stkjock said... which is why I now have a vmp twin blade.

It is their twin 75mm. What is the size of the VMP TB? Does it have brass gears or delrin plastic?

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
I believe the cj 65mm is plenty and there isn't much more you will get with a bigger one.

I've not heard of the 75mm. Vmp has brass gears but they aren't selling them anymore. I found mine used.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
L&M uses delrin gears, same as OEM. I heard something about aftermarket units with brass gears having issues in most cases. I would imagine there was a reason ford went with the delrin instead of metal..... I have the L&M 66mm and it works perfect!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think mine took a Shit on me tonight. P2104 and failsafe mode multiple times. Limped it home.

Boozshey

Reaction score
ah, damn... Mine still surging while in cruise control. I'm not going to screw with anything until the new blower is on and it's tuned with it on.

Synister500

Reaction score
I think mine took a Shit on me tonight. P2104 and failsafe mode multiple times. Limped it home.

Mark, I'll have a Whipple twin 75mm by the end of the week if you want to give it a try, your's may just be a TPS though.

BJ

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mark, I'll have a Whipple twin 75mm by the end of the week if you want to give it a try, your's may just be a TPS though.

BJ
BJ, it's Dave, not Mark. :beerchug2:

Yea, I am trying to figure out the issue. What am I giving a try?

Synister500

Reaction score
BJ, it's Dave, not Mark. :beerchug2:

Yea, I am trying to figure out the issue. What am I giving a try?

Shit, sorry Dave, I was saying if you wanted to try the twin 75mm I'm pulling off you can. I thought I had read you were using the mono blade.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ah, I gotcah, yes I have a single mono blade, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

uniquestang

forum member
Reaction score
I have the mono blade and only issue is periodically it would climb rpm when I engage the clutch and then go back to idle after a few seconds. Tune is a Jon Lund email tune.

Last edited:

Bob_Kurgan

forum member
Reaction score
remember i told you about the aftermarket TB's?? I guess you had to find out for yourself??

Hufen

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been through this whole tb thing as well on my whipple. I tried pretty much any throttle body you could list on here. At the end of the day the 65mm cobra jet throttle body was my choice, as it drove completely stock and i seriously didn't notice any power difference on the dyno between any of them. I was only putting 720rwhp down though. My tuner claimed the 65mm cobra jet tb wouldn't even see a restriction in the 700's but i dont know how true that is.

All i know is, i love the way my 65mm cj drives and doesn't have that on/off feel my monoblade did.

Synister500

Reaction score
Ive been through this whole tb thing as well on my whipple. I tried pretty much any throttle body you could list on here. At the end of the day the 65mm cobra jet throttle body was my choice, as it drove completely stock and i seriously didn't notice any power difference on the dyno between any of them. I was only putting 720rwhp down though. My tuner claimed the 65mm cobra jet tb wouldn't even see a restriction in the 700's but i dont know how true that is.

All i know is, i love the way my 65mm cj drives and doesn't have that on/off feel my monoblade did.

Wish it came in black!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back