New 600 Cubic Inch 1000 hp motor build

GI Joe

Reaction score
Well after selling the K/B Mammoth I’m getting started on returning to my first love…
Ready to get started on the Big Block Ford. This car will be a little different than some we have seen
This will not be an all out race car…It will be 90% :clap:
The other 10% will be for cruise in’s or fun ford weekend/truestreet type events. Its gonna be a truestreet car. That said things like A/C are optional (“ not gonna do it; wouldn’t be prudent at this juncture”) and an alternator is mandatory. Basically the car will loose all the factory wiring under the hood ( save for the lights) and retain most inside. I’m going to tuck the factory fuse box back where the stock battery location sits. So I will retain power windows, locks, light ect. The speedo and Tacho will not work but I’m working on what to do there…since I already have an old school Tach on the dash it should prove interesting.
I’m also considering whether to put the remainder of 8.99 roll bar in or remain outlaw. I currently am only good to 9.99 (10.00 6 point)
The car will have a glide…It is being built here in Alabama by Lane at PTC. Will have a Reed case and JW bellhousing so that I wont need any shield or diaper.
The engine is also being built here in Alabama by Bennett Racing engines. This will be a 600 CU IN Big Block Ford. 4.60 bore with a 4.50 stroke. I will be using the A-460 block and heads will be of the same variety…A-460 TFS with A-460 TFS intake single plane. The carb will be Pro system Dominator
The reason I’m going with a bigger bore is to get as much power as possible with lower compression. This will be 11.5:1 or 12:1 and gonna work real hard to make it pump gas…BTW…975 hp on pump gas…all motor. Should run in the bottom half of the 9’s
Scat Crank and Rods, Kasse oil pump, Danny Bee timing gear belt drive.
Ignition will be MSD digital7 and timing trigger wheel
I hope to keep my power brake ( somehow )
Exhaust will be 2 1/8” stepped to 2 ¼” headed to 4” collectors
I plan to run twin shrouded fans to keep it cool
I will also run a fan on the tranny cooler.
I removed the factory fuel tank and will run a 15 gallon sumped tank in the trunk.
The fuel pump is the magna fuel prostar 500 with built in bypass return
Will post pics and lessons learned as they occur...
Prepping engine bay for paint:

Last edited:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Dave, I will be watching this and hopefully even coming over to lend a hand. Never dealt with a BB, but would love to learn about them. Good luck with the build and can't wait to see the outcome.

GT RO

forum member
Reaction score
Another bad ass build , It seems alot of people are stepping it up this year . Good luck to you . I cant wait to see this plan come to life.:beerchug2:

GI Joe

Reaction score
The rolling stock is all ready to go..8.8 built with 9" ends spool 410's and of course all the old stuff remains BMR tubular everything front and rear...has Strange race brakes and 30" tires in radial and 29.5 in slick

Last edited:

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll share a few insights with you from my own experience with my 500ish inch BBF Fox which I originally built back in 1991. I tried running pump gas with 12.5:1 and ended up breaking a piston and cyl wall so unless you are planning to run some sort of fuel injection setup with O2's I would be very carefull trying to run on 93 octane. Next up get rid of the 4.10's you absolutely won't need them, the engine will make a ton of torque without even breaking a sweat. For cooling look into a Flex-a-lite twin fan with controller it will do a good job of keeping the engine cool, assuming you have a very good radiator. I am able to drive my car 80 miles to the track with a three inch thick (2 core 1&1/4" each) radiator with this fan during Texas summer without issue.

ee2a6fa4.jpg

dc37c02e.jpg

slidejob

Reaction score
Looks like a great build!

You may want to consider a Snow methanol system to protect against detonation.

Best of luck!

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Awesome build! How heavy is that block?

I was fantasizing about the idea of doing a 351w if my car wasn't my only and my DD. Don't see many pushrods on this site so its pretty cool.

I love how your car looks, all blacked out with the cowl hood... nice.

Last edited:

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, can't wait to see it all come to life. Very exicted to see it run and the sound and lobe of a big block in a modern Mustang. Going to be beast and turn alot of heads. Glad I live close and will get to see this build in person.

Dave, let me know if you need any help. I know me and Brandon would love to see your build come together and willing to lend a helping hand if needed.

Good luck l!!!!!

GI Joe

Reaction score
I'll share a few insights with you from my own experience with my 500ish inch BBF Fox which I originally built back in 1991. I tried running pump gas with 12.5:1 and ended up breaking a piston and cyl wall so unless you are planning to run some sort of fuel injection setup with O2's I would be very carefull trying to run on 93 octane. Next up get rid of the 4.10's you absolutely won't need them, the engine will make a ton of torque without even breaking a sweat. For cooling look into a Flex-a-lite twin fan with controller it will do a good job of keeping the engine cool, assuming you have a very good radiator. I am able to drive my car 80 miles to the track with a three inch thick (2 core 1&1/4" each) radiator with this fan during Texas summer without issue.

ee2a6fa4.jpg

dc37c02e.jpg

thanks for the input.
I figured I'd have to be 11.5 :1 to stay safe. But if the engine builder says its close I'll bow out If I doo 12.5:1 what gas did you end up running. 100 octane should be plenty.
The 410 I'm gonna stick with because the power curve of the new motor will be near identicle to the old KB that made 700 right at the hit of the throttle. The car weighs 3650 # Thats the problem...
I like those fans

here is the sealer coat

Last edited:

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the input.
I figured I'd have to be 11.5 :1 to stay safe. But if the engine builder says its close I'll bow out If I doo 12.5:1 what gas did you end up running. 100 octane should be plenty.
The 410 I'm gonna stick with because the power curve of the new motor will be near identicle to the old KB that made 700 right at the hit of the throttle. The car weighs 3650 # Thats the problem...
I like those fans

I used 100 LL from the local airport, it used to be a cheap way to get decent fuel although many people say its not good for automotive us, I haven't ever had any issues. The fans definately are nice as the controller varies voltage based on coolant temperature you set. The real reason I run only 3.73 in mine is without an overdrive it keeps the car city and highway friendly and believe it or not my convertible Fox is 3420 lbs with me in the drivers seat, of course the car still has full interior and full 4 inch exhuast.

GI Joe

Reaction score
I used 100 LL from the local airport, it used to be a cheap way to get decent fuel although many people say its not good for automotive us, I haven't ever had any issues. The fans definately are nice as the controller varies voltage based on coolant temperature you set. The real reason I run only 3.73 in mine is without an overdrive it keeps the car city and highway friendly and believe it or not my convertible Fox is 3420 lbs with me in the drivers seat, of course the car still has full interior and full 4 inch exhuast.

yes now the rpm issue is absolutely a true issue. The 4R70W I just took out was nice about that...O/D and lock up...but this will be a different world...gonna have to do the glide...LOLhang in the right lane and do the ole man thing.
I drove the car a bit in 3rd just to see if I could live with it or not...granted entirely different engine, the cam will change things...and oh yes 4" exhaust...maybe 3000 rpms will prove to be the sweet spot where it calms down...lol
Gonna be fun
Been eye balling two different fan set ups...
these and buying a sepereate controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-2005-2...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

and these with the adjustable thermostat...I dont know if there is more of a "CONTROLLER" really needed. Put a switch inside and let the relay and thermostat do its thing...??????
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-412/

Gonna be fun

rodfarva

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome...another BBF S197 car!!! I'm looking forward to seeing this unfold.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
yes now the rpm issue is absolutely a true issue. The 4R70W I just took out was nice about that...O/D and lock up...but this will be a different world...gonna have to do the glide...LOLhang in the right lane and do the ole man thing.
I drove the car a bit in 3rd just to see if I could live with it or not...granted entirely different engine, the cam will change things...and oh yes 4" exhaust...maybe 3000 rpms will prove to be the sweet spot where it calms down...lol
Gonna be fun
Been eye balling two different fan set ups...
these and buying a sepereate controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-2005-2...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

and these with the adjustable thermostat...I dont know if there is more of a "CONTROLLER" really needed. Put a switch inside and let the relay and thermostat do its thing...??????
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-412/

Gonna be fun

It will definately be a fun car, I look forward to seeing it come together. As for gear I am a little more limited than you in that you will be able to run a taller tire than will fit on my Fox. On my car with 3.73's and a 26 inch tire mine turns around 3000 at 70 cruising on the freeway. I will tell you if you plan to drive the car spend the money on the biggest and best radiator and fan you can get because the big block is fairly hard to keep cool and even harder to cool down if it gets warmer than you want.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back