Fog Light Operation Modification

ixtlan

Reaction score
<hr>
S197 Fog Light Operation Modification
In this article we will modify the wiring harness to allow the S197 Fog Lights to run with High Beam Headlights running.

Under normal operation the Fog Lights operation is as follows:
1. Running lamps ON and Fog Lights ON.
2. Running Lamps ON with Low Beam Headlights ON and Fog Lights ON.
3.Running Lamps ON with High Beam Headlights ON Fog lights do not operate.
This I am told is because in some states it is illegal to run your Fog Lights with the High Beam Headlights on. Check your local Inspection criteria to verify if this applies to you.
Also this mod will disable the Auto Turn Off of the Fog Lights.

With the Normal configuration it presents us with a few problems.
1. If you wanted to convert your Fog Lights to Driving Lights you would not be able to run your Driving Lights with your High Beam Headlights.
This would negate the advantage of being able to put more light in front of you which is why you would convert to Driving Lights in the first place.
2. In the case that you did not convert your Fog Lights but desired to have
more light directly in front of your vehicle while your High Beam lights were
ON you would not have this option.
So just how do you convert you’re lights to operate as you desire?
We set out to figure this out.
First we consulted the factory wiring diagrams and found they were rather lacking in the completeness of the diagrams themselves. We ran a few scab wires to experiment with the operation. And also tested at various points with our Volt Ohm meter. In the end what we discovered was the following.
When the High Beam Headlights (HB) were turned ON the ground for the Fog Light Relay (FLR) would eliminated. The in turn would de-energize the FLR and drop the power off to the Fog Lights. This is done in the Smart Junction Box (SJB) somehow. Also we found that just adding a dedicated ground to the FLR would cause the Fog Lights to be ON at all times. Key ON or Key OFF. So that was not an option obviously.

So how can we add our option to our system?
1. Install a dedicated switch for our Fog Lights and run a new harness.
2. Figure out a way to Fool the SJB into thinking the ground was interrupted even though it was not.
3. Modify the SJB to allow our option.
We wanted to use the existing wiring and switch. So how do we fool the SJB or how do we bypass it?
And this is how we did it:
This is what you will need:
1. Roll of Electrical Tape.
2. Appx 6 foot Length of wire 22 gauge or slightly larger.
3. Assorted Splices.
4. Roll of plastic conduit (Optional).

FogLightMod_17.jpg
Supplies

1. Disconnect your Battery.
2. The SJB is located on the passenger side of the car under the kick panel.

FogLightMod_00.jpg
Smart Junction Box

3. There is a Blue plug that contains an Orange with Light Green stripe
(OR/LG) wire in it. This is the wire that comes from our Fog Light Switch
into the SJB to complete our FLR ground when the switch is in the ON
position.

FogLightMod_02.jpg
Orange Light Green Wire at SJB

4. We will need to Cut this wire and splice our new bypass wire to the side going to the switch. Use a butt splice as we did. This wire Must Be CUT and the wire going to the plug dead ended. If you do not this causes your radio to go crazy. I do not know why but it does.

FogLightMod_11.jpg
Splice at SJB

5. The other end of our bypass wire will be at the Bussed Electrical Center (BEC) on the passenger side of our Engine compartment.
6. First run your wire from the passenger compartment into the Engine compartment. We did this by slightly pulling the grommet around the orange cable that goes into the engine compartment, and running our new wire through it. It will enter the Engine compartment under the battery tray. Then route the wire to your BEC. We then replaced the grommet in place. It is soft and easily can be pushed back into place.

FogLightMod_14.jpg
New wire ran into Engine Compartment

7. Next we wanted a clean setup so we opted to use a wire conduit to protect the new wire and give us a clean setup so we ran a conduit over our new wire to the firewall.

FogLightMod_05.jpg
Conduit with New wire routing

FogLightMod_07.jpg
New Wire with Conduit installed at BEC

8. After our wire and conduit were in place and routed we need to tap into our DB/W wire.
9. At the BEC we will need to tap into a Dark Blue with White Stripe (DB/W) wire located in the second from the front harness going into the BEC. We will use a splice here again, or you can use a wire tap (Scotch Lock). You must splice your new wire to the wire going into the BEC or just tap into it with a wire tap. Tap into the wire using your wire taps or splices as you choose.

FogLightMod.jpg
Dark Blue White wire at BEC

FogLightMod_12.jpg
Dark Blue/White wire at BEC

10. Then reconnect your battery and give it a try.
11. If all went well your Fog lights should work with your HB Lights ON using your existing factory switch.

FogLightMod_15.jpg
Fog Lights with High Beams ON

12. Just re-tape your conduits and put your previously disturbed areas back together and your done!!!
Now we got to find some replacement Driving Lights!

<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_s1036" type="#_x0000_t75" style='width:141pt; height:57.75pt'> <v:imagedata src="Foglightmodification_files/image002.jpg" o:title=""/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->
image002.jpg
<!--[endif]-->

ixtlan

Reaction score
Thanks for the Kudo's.
More Work?
1 hour and your done.
It really isn't squat to do.
We did the R&D for ya.
That was a load of fun I tell ya.
We had to out-thunk doe's engineer types.
Sneaky little bastages they were too.
But we be sneak'er.

:towlwhip:

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks. Now, what Id also like to do is be able to run the fogs stand alone, with no other lights on. Any clue how I could pull that off?

ixtlan

Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks. Now, what Id also like to do is be able to run the fogs stand alone, with no other lights on. Any clue how I could pull that off?

Unfortunately there is no way to use the factory switch because of the way is it is designed.
If you wanted to add a switch, then just tap into the orange/light green wire on one side of the new switch (same place as mod) and ground on the other.
That would provide the ground to activate the fog light relay.

Last edited:

ixtlan

Reaction score
Here is an Additional Mod you can do that goes along here.
Driving Lights.
I found after researching the base styles that the 9005 (High Beam single filament P20D base) light would be modifiable to fit the 9145 (Fog Light w PY20D base 45W) socket.
I bought a set of the 9005 SilverStar Ultras (65W 3000 Lumens) to mod to fit.
Decided to try them first to see how much I would need to change and they went right in and locked. No Mod required.
The wire to the fogs is the same gauge as the main headlights, and the High Beams use the same relay as the fogs also.
Wiring should take the load no problem.
Free Mod!!!!
Now I got Driving Lights!!!!!!!
Will let ya all know how they work at night.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Well for those watching this thread.
The big Driving Light test didn't go so well.
I had a crapload more light but it was still pretty much just in front of
the vehicle, out to the low beam range.
Going to look more into the using the stock housing.
I am thinking I might look into removing the shade inside the light next and see if that helps the light project out.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Finally got back to this R&D.

Success!!!!!
The Fogs are adjustable up and down.
I can see way out now.
Took a few adjustments to get them where I wanted them but...
LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!
And there was.

Lord help the next jacked up truck that comes at me.
Will blind his redneck arse a good mile out.
Then I can just drive by the wreck...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Finally got back to this R&D.

Success!!!!!
The Fogs are adjustable up and down.
I can see way out now.
Took a few adjustments to get them where I wanted them but...
LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!
And there was.

Lord help the next jacked up truck that comes at me.
Will blind his redneck arse a good mile out.
Then I can just drive by the wreck...

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but, removing the shields did the trick?

ixtlan

Reaction score
Never removed them.
Really want to find some Pin Point lights to fit the housings.
Still the Bright Beam Lamps help a helluva lot.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never removed them.
Really want to find some Pin Point lights to fit the housings.
Still the Bright Beam Lamps help a helluva lot.

Thanks. Finished this mod up today, Got a nice surprise for the CHP sitting in the local "Headlight-On-During-Daylight-Safety-Section-Bullshit" of highway...

Last edited:

ixtlan

Reaction score
Hey Rope.
I bet it is a money maker fer em.
Stupid, but makes money for the Chippers.
Ever find out why they have a stupid rule like that?

ixtlan

Reaction score
Just an update to Light choices.
Hella and PIAA are offering up conversions now.
The Hella is steep (well over $600+) and comes with the Rallye 4000 lights w (D1S 6100k) 35 watt Xenon lamps.
Hella's kit is more of a conversion kit where you convert your original equipment.
PIAA is offering a mount kit so you can use their 520 series lights.
I am going for the PIAA, they have the 85w lamps (H13 4000k) at half the cost.
PIAA's kit is more like a replacement setup where you remove the buckets and all.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
ok so please explain this cause I am confused just a little bit. If I put the 9005 bulbs when I turn on my high beams do the fogs also go into high beam mode? Or am I missing something.

ixtlan

Reaction score
ok so please explain this cause I am confused just a little bit. If I put the 9005 bulbs when I turn on my high beams do the fogs also go into high beam mode? Or am I missing something.

Your car in the Stock configuration will turn off the Fogs when you switch to High Beams.
This mod will allow them to stay on.
When you put the 9005 bulbs in they are just brighter than the stock bulbs.
Although you get more light the lenses and reflectors are designed to distribute light as fog beams (Low and wide). True Driving lights point the beams generally in a 15 degree spread so the light is directed forward.
There are several beam patterns Euro, Off Road, Pencil, Fog and more to choose from but it is controlled by the reflectors and lenses.

dacofa

Banned
Reaction score
Just get aircraft landing lights if you need that much lighting. The law lets you have all the number of lights you want, you are just RESRICTED BY LAW on the amount of light you put out. That's the issue that some people can't figure out. Just as you can tint your windows, but you can only use tint to a certain number and on certain windows. Check your states laws, they usually have a website site in the DMV section. And some even have local ordinanaces against that. Cal has a noise law that says nothing past 50' hearing distance. And when doing some of these mods they WILL void warranties if someother system goes bad. Manufactures are getting real good at finding ways to void your warranties and then charge for labor. And they can tell when these systems have been played with.

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is another way you can do this Mod, I had it done for 3 years now, works great...
Just need a 4 pin 12v relay
2 wire taps
A fusable Link with 15a fuse
a wire crimp kit with spade connector that fit the relay.

Standard 12v automotive relay
wiring.jpg

High Beam tap Yellow Wire with the White Strip
IMAGE_064.jpg

Fog Light Tap Tan Wire with the Orange Strip
IMAGE_063.jpg

Get Power From Here.
IMAGE_065.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back