Quest for 12's with a 100% street car.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score

http://youtu.be/PyXxC5hd5_E

I installed J&M lower control arms which are half working because they need a relocation bracket to adjust the tilt from lowering the car. In using the relocation brackets, I CAN lose some braking ability and cornering ability.

Those are 2 things I am not willing to sacrifice so it is what it is. I also installed a Freedom racing pan hard bar to line up my rear properly as the stock one shifted when I lowered it. It was visually noticeable even with my 1" drop. This reduced my spin in 2nd down to an acceptable chirp. Also COMPLETELY killed the fish tailing in 2nd.

I will no longer heat up my tires as the general consensus seems to be my Nitto 555s work better at ambient temperature. So I was hurting myself by burning out this entire time.

I will give it another go probably Sunday, the 7th.

I did not get 12's. I managed to best my previous time just slightly from a 13.122 to 13.115. I just want a 12.9XX or faster and I will be happy.

Slip up tomorrow. All runs in the video, though.

To clarify by "street car" I mean a car with full weight, spare and street tires. No weight reduction, no slicks/radials etc. At 107.60 and 107.80 I feel there is at least a 12.9XX in there somewhere.

EDIT: By street tires I mean no 'R' compounds or DRs.

Last edited:

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I have already completed this feat. 12.44 @ 108 mph. Street tires, full weight. I drive the car down, race it, drive home.

So, it is so doable. That 12.44 was before the lt install.

http://youtu.be/PyXxC5hd5_E

I installed J&M lower control arms which are half working because they need a relocation bracket to adjust the tilt from lowering the car. In using the relocation brackets, I CAN lose some braking ability and cornering ability.

Those are 2 things I am not willing to sacrifice so it is what it is. I also installed a Freedom racing pan hard bar to line up my rear properly as the stock one shifted when I lowered it. It was visually noticeable even with my 1" drop. This reduced my spin in 2nd down to an acceptable chirp. Also COMPLETELY killed the fish tailing in 2nd.

I will no longer heat up my tires as the general consensus seems to be my Nitto 555s work better at ambient temperature. So I was hurting myself by burning out this entire time.

I will give it another go probably Sunday, the 7th.

I did not get 12's. I managed to best my previous time just slightly from a 13.122 to 13.115. I just want a 12.9XX or faster and I will be happy.

Slip up tomorrow. All runs in the video, though.

To clarify by "street car" I mean a car with full weight, spare and street tires. No weight reduction, no slicks/radials etc. At 107.60 and 107.80 I feel there is at least a 12.9XX in there somewhere.

MindIfISmoke?

Wrecking Crew
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've gone low 11s in full street trim on my 20" wheels

Sent from my phone. I'm driving

Last edited:

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
I have already completed this feat. 12.44 @ 108 mph. Street tires, full weight. I drive the car down, race it, drive home.

So, it is so doable. That 12.44 was before the lt install.

What were your mods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've done a best of 12.85 in full street trim, gotta slip the clutch out nice and shift on point, 6500 range.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
I've done a best of 12.85 in full street trim, gotta slip the clutch out nice and shift on point, 6500 range.

You're dumping then slipping at 5k though. That scares me lol.

Also, it spins so much on a 3k dump that I fear higher dumps or slips.

I definitely won't be heating up the tires next time.

Did you guys have more mods? I am strictly trying to do it with intake, headers, o/r x pipe, 4.10s and 93 Tune. Now with the addition of LCAs, (only a marginal help since they're without the bracket), and the pan hard bar which helped tremendously.

TheDarkPath

forum member
Reaction score
As far as not heating up the Nitto 555s, you shouldn't do a burnout or anything like that (stay out of the water box), but you should still give them a good spin to make sure they're clean. I'm not sure what the DA is at your track normally but with all your mods, 12s should be doable.

I ran a 12.95 with C&L Street, 93 bama race tune, Steeda UDPs, LCAs, Nitto 555s on 18inch wheels all around, full weight, and an off-road H pipe. I was launching at 1200 RPMs (that was the sweet spot I found where I didn't spin badly but still had some RPM when launching). I cut a 1.94 60' if I remember right. What are your 60' times?

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Did you guys have more mods? I am strictly trying to do it with intake, headers, o/r x pipe, 4.10s and 93 Tune. Now with the addition of LCAs, (only a marginal help since they're without the bracket), and the pan hard bar which helped tremendously.

I have exact same mods minus LCA.
I run 555r which is street tire and I ran 12.77
Mine is auto and dynoed only @ 275/275

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
Easy enough.

She was running 12.7-12.9 range with nothing more then 93 Oct tune, C&L Street, Prochamber, CHE LCA's, 1pc Alum DS, and a set of 17" MT Drag Radials mounted on OEM wheels.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
As far as not heating up the Nitto 555s, you shouldn't do a burnout or anything like that (stay out of the water box), but you should still give them a good spin to make sure they're clean. I'm not sure what the DA is at your track normally but with all your mods, 12s should be doable.

I ran a 12.95 with C&L Street, 93 bama race tune, Steeda UDPs, LCAs, Nitto 555s on 18inch wheels all around, full weight, and an off-road H pipe. I was launching at 1200 RPMs (that was the sweet spot I found where I didn't spin badly but still had some RPM when launching). I cut a 1.94 60' if I remember right. What are your 60' times?

I'll try 1200 as my best 60 was with a 2000 RPM and 2500 Launch. Still spinning a pinch in first.

My 60's are also 1.9XX. My Best was 1.960.

I have exact same mods minus LCA.
I run 555r which is street tire and I ran 12.77
Mine is auto and dynoed only @ 275/275

Easy enough.

She was running 12.7-12.9 range with nothing more then 93 Oct tune, C&L Street, Prochamber, CHE LCA's, 1pc Alum DS, and a set of 17" MT Drag Radials mounted on OEM wheels.

Both you guys have used DRs or an R Compound tire. I want to do it strictly with my 555s. So maybe I can't?

As for the comment about DA, it is ATCO which I guess is a great track. I know nothing of its 'specs'.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
My bad, missed that part. I got acouple 12.9x's with the GY F1's but it wasn't anything consistent.

ATCO is a favorable track.. any track around here is (Cecil, Atco, or Etown). They're all near sea level and we tend to have a decent DA's. If you go late in the fall you can even get negative DA's.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I only had an O/R H, lca's, saleen suspension, 3.73's, delete plates, c&l racer, 93 BBR tune and 555r. Launching from 5k

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
I only had an O/R H, lca's, saleen suspension, 3.73's, delete plates, c&l racer, 93 BBR tune and 555r. Launching from 5k

I think OP is looking to get into 12s with 555.

I was still in 12s with 1.9X 60s on stock pirelli though.
My 555r only helped to 1.8X I guess because mine being an auto.
Your trap speed is good for deep into 12s.
I say get that LCA relocator and launch @ higher RPM?

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
I think OP is looking to get into 12s with 555.

I was still in 12s with 1.9X 60s on stock pirelli though.
My 555r only helped to 1.8X I guess because mine being an auto.
Your trap speed is good for deep into 12s.
I say get that LCA relocator and launch @ higher RPM?

I WOULD get the relocation but I have read up on here that it will affect my handling negatively, and braking.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You're dumping then slipping at 5k though. That scares me lol.

Also, it spins so much on a 3k dump that I fear higher dumps or slips.

I definitely won't be heating up the tires next time.

don't be scared these are mustangs!!!!!!!!
My car wants to idle at 6500 rpm! :evillaugh:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back