Old school pushrod in an 05 mustang...

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
I race in American Iron w/ NASA - MidAtlantic, and until recently raced a 88 foxbody with a 342 small block stroker. AI is a HP and Tq limited class, based on total weight and whether you run ABS or not. I picked up an 05 caged car with plans to eventually swap out the 4.6 to my 342 over the winter. A broken transmission (T3650 stock) moved the drivetrain swap up a bit...

The swap will be slow, but should move a bit quicker once I get my oil pan modified and the headers arrive. I'll be using an external oil pump so the front sump on the oil pan will be cut off, clearing room for the engine to sit further back behind the rack. Here's a couple of pics showing the difference in size between the two engines. It's more striking comparing a empty 302 block to a fully dressed 4.6 engine, but it's an impressive difference in size!

Before...
IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Currently w/ a bare 302 block sitting on jacks and blocks. The front of the block is spaced 4" off the rack/k-member, as the front of the pan will be ~3.75" deep. I'm waiting for the mid-length headers to arrive (Doug's Headers) then will weld up some mounts that's clear the steering shaft.

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Should be a pretty cool car once she's done... My stroker engine made around 340rwhp and 360rwtq with a restrictor plate in the fox. Should be just about perfect for the 05's weight...

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome!

We did a 347" engine in our 2005 Mustang back in 2005.

Subbing!

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
I'll post updates as the project moves forward, but it's going to be slow going I'm afraid. The 4.6 engine is sold unless the buyer backs out when it comes time to trade. But I do have a complete JBA long tube header (ceramic SS)- h pipe - 2.5 over the axle to JBA mufflers for sale... PM me if anyone's interested as I don't have enough post to list in the forsale section yet. New to the s197 crowd and this site.

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
Not really... slow moving project. Got the diff cooler installed (bigger pain in the ass than anticipated!), and the fuel cell. Made an aluminum barrier between the cockpit and the trunk to seal off the cell area. The cooler is mounted in the panel, will plumb a 3" line and blower off a naca duct in one of the quarter windows. The oil pan modifications are done (using an external single stage oil pump) and the motor mounts are nearly complete. Currently waiting on the external push-style clutch slave cylinder to mount to the TKO600 before installing the engine/trans combo. Hope to get this done this coming weekend. A few other little things have been done as well -- swapped the brake booster to a GT500 one, installed 3" wheel studs front and rear, and currently working on the ducting for the radiator and the oil cooler mount up front. I guess I'm a little concerned this smallish radiator won't cool my stroker engine. It's an aftermarket aluminum one thats rated pretty high, but it's sure smaller than the one I had before...
Our last race weekend of the season is in October at VIR, really hoping I can get the car done in time for this event...
I'll post some more pics once the engine is in the car. At least it'll look like I'm making progress....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back