10-12 retrofit on 05-09 s197 GT

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
Well I've been busy. I'm halfway into it. All I can say is there is a lot of research I have done to get this here. Regardless it's going to take a lot of custom work to make it happen. I will specifics as I keep going.

Taking olde fender emblems off
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486756.379647.jpg

New 2012 hood.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486786.977074.jpg

Hood off
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486843.549321.jpg

Bare bones.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486871.278033.jpg

Getting ready for new fender install
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486899.175600.jpg

New fender on
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486935.885080.jpg

Gaps look good after I adjust them
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343486961.726572.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343487007.288991.jpg

I can already tell you there is going to be custom fender work. There is a gap and shapes dont line up with new and older body style. I already knew this would be the case just didn't know the extent.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343487110.656403.jpg

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
This is awesome. I wish "conversion fenders would be made" in fiberglass or something. The only part that need custom work it appears is the fender to door body lines.

I like to see what you do about the front support or if anything is needed at all.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I like to see a fender made that creases on the outside of the fender flare like 05-09s do; instead of the rounded appearance. And then have everything from the center of the fender flare and back identical to a 05-09. That way it will flow with the body lines as if it were stock. Hell, if they can make the gay Z4 fenders for our cars, I don't see why a conversion fender can not be made.

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
Good point. I wish I had those fenders now lol. 10-12 headlight needs a bigger opening on the 05-09 rad support

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
Subscribed.

Where did you source the retrofit parts?

This is fucking awesome.

Last edited:

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
Subscribed.

Where did you source the retrofit parts?

My brother has a 2012. 2013 gt500 conversion underway so into a lot of his parts. Found painted oem fenders on eBay

Pretty awesome to see someone tackling something like this.

I can't believe no one else has done this before. With the amount of work I'm facing it makes sense lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Redfireshaker06

forum member
Reaction score
My idea was cut both a 05+ and a 10+ in the middle over the wheel well. And fab them together. Use the 05+ back half and the 10+ front half. That way you door line is the same and you can have the better looking front end

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
I can't believe no one else has done this before. With the amount of work I'm facing it makes sense lol

I've been kicking the idea around and doing research on my own for this exact project, but you've beaten me to it by a long shot. That's why I sent you a PM as soon as I saw you were jumping in head first. I'll be watching closely. I'm sure this thread will be 50+ pages long in about 24 hours, haha.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Good point. I wish I had those fenders now lol. 10-12 headlight needs a bigger opening on the 05-09 rad support

So do you think you are going to need a new support, or can you cut into the openings to allow the headlights?

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Please take pics and document it for us. I want to do this soon as well.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
The hard way out, but the only way I would consider doing this, would be to use '10+ fenders, doors, and quarter panels. Basically a '10+ car with '05-09 tail lights.

I've already thought that if my '12 were to be rear ended, I might start with an '05 trunk, quarter extensions, and bumper, and do exactly that.

You may have already said it, but what are you planning to do here? Flatten the crease on the new fenders to line up with the door?

Last edited:

shark tales

Wiggle Wiggle Memeber
Reaction score
I will reply to inquiries later. I'm sorry I'm busy ass hell cutting for headlights

Good news tho. It fits!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343498903.967280.jpg

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
op, really interesting project. i hope it works out. i love the 10+ shelby front end.

The hard way out, but the only way I would consider doing this, would be to use '10+ fenders, doors, and quarter panels. Basically a '10+ car with '05-09 tail lights.

i dont see that working at all. the 05-09 tails wouldnt fit in the taillight bucket recess at all, totally different shape. reskinning the entire car is a TON of work, and youd have to joint it/section it at the roof and have body filler there to smooth it over. the way the op is doing it makes far more sense.

3.73-11

forum member
Reaction score
kinda off topic but are you going to run the cs lower fascia or some type of chin to cover the mutton chops shark tales>?
I think the cs lower&cs fogs*some for sale in the classified section* a boss splitter/roush side splitters*theve been done on a 05-09* and billet upper grille would be so sick&nasty looking:thumb2:

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
i dont see that working at all. the 05-09 tails wouldnt fit in the taillight bucket recess at all, totally different shape. reskinning the entire car is a TON of work, and youd have to joint it/section it at the roof and have body filler there to smooth it over. the way the op is doing it makes far more sense.
Maybe you know something I don't, but "the way the op is doing it" hasn't even been explained yet. If he is planning to trim away nearly all but the leading edge of those fenders, put the '05-09 flare and lower rocker back on it, and rework the '11 bumper cover to fit the '05 flare, then that is a shitload of work.

I'm talking about bolting on the stock front clip and doors from a '10-12. Then cut the quarter panels from a '10-12 and blend them into the '05-09 trunk and rear bumper. No other changes. I have no idea what you're talking about with sectioning the roof, tail light buckets, etc.

Shark tales, yours was the cleanest '05-09 car on the board and I can't wait to see what you do here. I know you will do it right. Keep us posted man!

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe you know something I don't, but "the way the op is doing it" hasn't even been explained yet. If he is planning to trim away nearly all but the leading edge of those fenders, put the '05-09 flare and lower rocker back on it, and rework the '11 bumper cover to fit the '05 flare, then that is a shitload of work.

I'm talking about bolting on the stock front clip and doors from a '10-12. Then cut the quarter panels from a '10-12 and blend them into the '05-09 trunk and rear bumper. No other changes. I have no idea what you're talking about with sectioning the roof, tail light buckets, etc.

Shark tales, yours was the cleanest '05-09 car on the board and I can't wait to see what you do here. I know you will do it right. Keep us posted man!
*personally* id rather modify a single bolt on panel, then change 2 bolt on panels, then cut and splice a 1/4 panel. i also wouldnt want a huge wipe of filler mud on my 1/4 panels either if i could avoid it. i had misunderstood you and thought you were getting at reskinning the entire 1/4 panel and somehow trying to shape the 05-09 lights into the buckets. :crazy:that why i said what i said above. nonetheless it should still be an interesting project, and i cant help but to wonder if conversion fenders will ever be made.

DRock

Reaction score
I was trying to get a certain company to make conversion fenders but they were interested and told me no one would be interested :( tho was 6+ months ago too

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back