Ford Racing Intake Manifold is it worth it.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I have been wanting one of these. Found a few vendors selling them for $590 brand new free shipping. The more Im reading on them it seems the gains arent that great for the money spent. Havent seen as much on this forum about it. Anybody that has had one did you feel or see any difference. Running 10psi

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes; for FI applications they are worth it...do I have HP/dyno numbers to prove it? No..but I can say they work.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting one of these. Found a few vendors selling them for $590 brand new free shipping. The more Im reading on them it seems the gains arent that great for the money spent. Havent seen as much on this forum about it. Anybody that has had one did you feel or see any difference. Running 10psi

Looking at your modds, you should see a nice difference. There's also c&l and jpc that makes great manifolds.

101fng

forum member
Reaction score
frpp is the most affordable though. plus, they seem to pop up on these classifieds semi regularly.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I'll have some solid dyno numbers here in about an hour. I just added the FRPP intake to my car. It's strapped to the dyno right now.

Texting while driving

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
C&L is not light though....the FRPP is around 7 lbs and the C&L is 30 ish if I remember correctly.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
C&L is not light though....the FRPP is around 7 lbs and the C&L is 30 ish if I remember correctly.

Not sure of the specific weight.

This is direct from the C & L website.

7. Our 3V Manifold is cast from aluminum, and fully dressed it weighs just under 15 lbs more than the factory plastic intake manifold. If additional weight is of concern, then we reccomend that you look into purchasing a Braille carbon fiber battery, which at under 10 pounds will MORE than offset the difference between the factory intake and our new assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Mustang&Fast Fords did a whole thing on all three manifolds. The C&L is very heavy (but these are not light weights cars anyway) plus it's not made out of plastic like the FRPP.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Jeremy thanks for the link but I think there are some things I dont agree with in that post looks to be artificial. I am making 502 without cams and with stock intake that was before I even added delete plates that I do have with a d1 procharger. I am guessing that it was really detuned on the lower power run then they just added some timing back in for the after. A d1 at 11 psi would be alot more then the before numbers.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been running mine every since they first became available and it's still like new. I run 15# normally but it has seen as high as 25#, when I had a boost controller hang. The first time you see it on a dyno you will have a heart attack, with the flexing but it doesn't affect it at all.

Earl

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Here's my dyno graph showing my final run last time before the intake and my final run today after the intake. The only difference is the intake and 1 degree of timing.

37BAB11D-7281-4C95-90A9-2D3907D80FBC-15171-00000B38CD3B5C08.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I like the look of the FRPP the most, but the problem I have is it's plastic. I know it has been tested under boost, but I wonder what the longevity would be like under boost.

You know the OEM intake is plastic as well, and it has been beat on since late '04 on hundreds of thousands of Mustangs in every corner of the world with no known issues whatsoever. Just food for thought.

Unless you're planning on running over 25lbs, I wouldn't worry a second over it. It'll hold. It's proven itself.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here's my dyno graph showing my final run last time before the intake and my final run today after the intake. The only difference is the intake and 1 degree of timing.

37BAB11D-7281-4C95-90A9-2D3907D80FBC-15171-00000B38CD3B5C08.jpg
That looks in line with what everyone else has reported with the FRPP and FI.

Earl

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I already had delete plates so I was thinking I wouldn't show that kind of gain. I am very happy.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Im guessing the most bost Ill ever see is 20 psi but probably more like 16 to 17 on a regular basis when I get my other motor put in

Also I am guessing that 1 degree of timing could have played a roll in most of the gain. I may give one a shot worst that could happen is I sell it and lose a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On my car peak to peak gain was 32rwhp, and 38-39rwhp in the mid range around 4-5k rpms no change of timing, only change made in the tune was adding fuel as my tuner had to let out first pull as it went lean around 12.6:1. Let out added fuel and got it back down to 11.9:1.

Dont get hung up on the timing thing though too much, thats the purpose of mods that allow more airflow, allows you to make more power in the tune. Where on the stock setup you add more timing and dont pick up any power. Things like intake, throttle body longtubes allow you to get more flow and tune for it for optimal power gains.

You will easily pick up 30rwhp with that intake and a tune.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back