A/C Clicking Noise

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. But I think I'm having the same issue, and want to see if you guys agree.

2011 mustang gt.

The air is off, not heat or anything. Completely off. I start the car, and I hear this clicking nooise that appears to be coming from the center vents. Lasts for about 5 seconds, then stops. And u can then turn in the air with no issues. Also, it doesn't happen everytime I start the car.

What the hell is this? It's driving me crazy!!

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like mine was. Blend door actuator, hombre. Didn't matter if it was on, off, defrost, whatever. As I understand it, the blend doors moving has to do with pressurizing the system or some shit like that.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like mine was. Blend door actuator, hombre. Didn't matter if it was on, off, defrost, whatever. As I understand it, the blend doors moving has to do with pressurizing the system or some shit like that.

And that is what you replaced, and it fixed it?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My 2010 auto GT does the same thing. But it won't do it IF the air is coming out the very top + very bottom vents...which is my temp 'work around'. The clicking sound is coming from behind the center console. Dealer sez it's a common problem, and caused by the plastic gears stripped out.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
And that is what you replaced, and it fixed it?

Yeah, I let the dealer do it under warranty. It happened within the first three months of me owning it and I still had a few months left on the bumper-to-bumper, but the billed cost would have been like $120 or something like that. I just didn't have the time at that point, and it's apparently a huge pain in the ass. I let it be their pain in the ass for what I thought was a reasonable amount of money.

07 Boss

Reaction score
There are 4 motors in your dash that work the HVAC system. A couple of them are easy to replace and there is one that is kinda a bitch. I have bought a replacement motor for mine but I just haven't got around to replacing it. The problem is they all have plastic gears and they just get worn.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
So I traded my 09 GT in a few years ago just as this started to happen, hoping I dodged the bullet of replacing it. Now 2 weeks after buying it my GT500 is doing the same damn thing!!!

07 Boss

Reaction score
So I traded my 09 GT in a few years ago just as this started to happen, hoping I dodged the bullet of replacing it. Now 2 weeks after buying it my GT500 is doing the same damn thing!!!

The motors are only like $30-$40.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread. My AC has started clicking as well recently. On rockauto I noticed 2 different motorcraft part numbers. 6R3Z19E616A and 6R3Z19E616B. Is there a way to verify which actuator is shot? I haven't taken the glove box down yet to see what can be seen, I assume a visual is possible. Mine only clicks when the temp knob is set to max cold or max heat. If I back the temp knob away from either max setting, it doesn't click at all. Obviously I can't get max cooling or heating either, but at least I don't hear it clicking lol. I just want to verify which actuator needs to be replaced, they are both cheap but I hate replacing good parts. Hoping the temp knob causing the clicking may point to which actuator. All vents function normal (vent, floor, defrost, floor/vent mix).

07 Boss

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread. My AC has started clicking as well recently. On rockauto I noticed 2 different motorcraft part numbers. 6R3Z19E616A and 6R3Z19E616B. Is there a way to verify which actuator is shot? I haven't taken the glove box down yet to see what can be seen, I assume a visual is possible. Mine only clicks when the temp knob is set to max cold or max heat. If I back the temp knob away from either max setting, it doesn't click at all. Obviously I can't get max cooling or heating either, but at least I don't hear it clicking lol. I just want to verify which actuator needs to be replaced, they are both cheap but I hate replacing good parts. Hoping the temp knob causing the clicking may point to which actuator. All vents function normal (vent, floor, defrost, floor/vent mix).

Mine was clicking when on full cold and I bought the motor a while ago but haven't put it in. I will dig it up and see which one I got.

boomer9999

Reaction score
One or more of my actuators are going out also. I have procrastinated in repairing because I hate working on the dash.

If I baby mine, using lowest blower fan setting, I can get the air to come out where it is supposed to. After the blend doors move I crank up the blower speed and all is good.

Now that I wrote this, total system failure probably like 1 day away.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back