Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.maierracing.com/ they have a kit. 1.5" wider front fenders, 2" wider rear
152-5277_IMG.jpg
156-5631_IMG.jpg

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I think Vorshlag's red mustang came out pretty damn good on the rear fender well. Better than the other stuff I have seen so far. Now as far as the price difference goes, I have no idea.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Terry/Vorshlag, dare I say you guys entertain the idea of the 345 sitting on an 18x13?? I can smell the extra room in that fender from over here :)

_DSC6142-X1.jpg

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry/Vorshlag, dare I say you guys entertain the idea of the 345 sitting on an 18x13?? I can smell the extra room in that fender from over here :)

That's a 345 on 12" rear wheels in the photo. We plan on switching to 13" wheels soon.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We had an exceptionally good weekend racing at Motorsports ranch with NASA and we absolutely destroyed the TT3 record and posted class wins both days (7 cars).

From what I can see in the posted results, somehow our 3802 pound, street driven, stock engined Mustang posted faster laps than any W2W car at this event and was faster than all TT cars except a TT1 ZR1 (.02 quicker), a tube frame TT1 Corvette, and a Radical SR8.

Still trying to figure out how that happened, but I'm not complaining. :D Lots of data, pictures and video to sort, edit, and compile. Used my new AiM SOLO DL with OBD2 data streaming, which I hope can help us diagnose and fix the rampant traction control faults that happened with the new grip levels (I think the car thinks I'm crashing half the time and keeps re-arming the Advance Track system, then going bezerk). My two fastest 1:17 laps were with the rear brakes engaged for about 25% of the lap! The Boss 302R ABS module is going in the car before the TWS event this month.

DSC_5628-M.jpg

More soon...

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We had an exceptionally good weekend racing at Motorsports ranch with NASA and we absolutely destroyed the TT3 record and posted class wins both days (7 cars)..

Nice Terry.

That's what it's all about right there. Keep up the excellent work. :thumb2:

JPC

Reaction score
can't u just pull the ABS fuse to deactivate it?
....what am I missing?

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
The Traction Control and Advance Trac features will be eliminated completely. ABS remains intact but is reprogrammed to focus more on ultimate braking performance instead of vehicle stability.

I would probably AVOID this upgrade for now, as most who have recently ordered the module are having issues with it working properly with their vehicles. I might be one of the only people (of the 5-6 that I know of who installed this unit) that it worked correctly for. Mine is the "-C" part number, not "-CA", however.

I think Ford Racing is looking into this, but I'm not 100% sure.
Once the situation is figured out with these units I would definitely recommend getting it.

You're partially correct. It does remove all driver aids except ABS. Which is more aggressively calibrated. There is no need to pull a fuse or add a switch, etc, etc.

The final batch of M-2353-C was incorrect. It was an incorrect part, with an incorrect program. Some of our customers noticed this first and worked with us and Ford Racing to figure out the issue. I believe the affected units will be dated between July-2013 to Oct-2013. You can tell these units from the rest by blinking warning lights on the dash, and the need to still deactivate the traction control.

Since that time, they have discontinued the C and have now released the M-2353-CA. This is the new unit, with a completely new program. They addressed some issues in the previous unit programming and calibrated it to work with more tire sizes and staggered fitments (PWC 2014).

With all that being said, the C and CA both will show multiple "faults" on the dash of a street car. We do not see these as we run an AIM standalone display unit. The C unit showed Traction and Stability due to those functions no longer being present. The CA shows a "check braking system" warning on the display, as well as the hand brake light. People are jumping to the conclusion that the unit is still not right due to the last bad batch. So far we have been running the new unit with 3 race wins in 4 weeks. Ford Racing will not confirm the units use in a street car with a stock dash due to the nature of the part (off-road competition use only). They don't want that unit run on the street, period. The lights are there as a warning to the driver that something is not as the factory intended. We have yet to run the new unit in any cars running the stock dash, but 4 of our cars have been out with the new unit already and all have worked as they should. Although each car has an AIM display, all are using a factory ECU and factory based tune (nothing exotic)

We are waiting for weather to brake so we can run the unit in a stock dash car and see if there is any difference between this and a car running an AIM unit (there shouldn't be as they only display info from the ECU). We believe that once the first few people run the car at the track the paranoia will reduce and people will get used to the dash warning lights. Just like they did with the last version.

I hope this clears up any questions

-Bill

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
can't u just pull the ABS fuse to deactivate it?
....what am I missing?
You WANT ABS.
We are waiting for weather to brake so we can run the unit in a stock dash car and see if there is any difference between this and a car running an AIM unit (there shouldn't be as they only display info from the ECU). We believe that once the first few people run the car at the track the paranoia will reduce and people will get used to the dash warning lights. Just like they did with the last version.

-Bill

FWIW I bought the -C unit from you guys and as I mentioned it appears to be one of the ones that worked correctly from the get-go (much to my delight). I ran it without and now with AiM MXL Pista installed and worked great both ways; I'm guessing that won't be a factor. I hope your testing goes well once the weather breaks!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You WANT ABS.

QFT. I can't believe the number of idiot ricer friends I have who remove ABS "because you can stop faster without it" or "for weight reduction." Even pointing out that many professional race series use ABS doesn't convince them.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
QFT. I can't believe the number of idiot ricer friends I have who remove ABS "because you can stop faster without it" or "for weight reduction."...

Sky, not to defend "ricers", but many cars are still raced that have first generation ABS systems in them. And frankly, they suck, even on the track. And I have no issues removing them, particularly when making brake upgrades.

Now modern ABS, since about 2000 on most cars, is much better and seems to usually work acceptably on the track. Today's even more modern ABS is so much better it's often requested for transplant into older cars.

But seeing many different types of competition cars, I can understand if -serious- drag racers delete it for weight and if rally/rallycross cars defeat it or remove it so they actually have some braking and weight shift capability.

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
You WANT ABS.

FWIW I bought the -C unit from you guys and as I mentioned it appears to be one of the ones that worked correctly from the get-go (much to my delight). I ran it without and now with AiM MXL Pista installed and worked great both ways; I'm guessing that won't be a factor. I hope your testing goes well once the weather breaks!

Drew - we got back all the bad ones. We determined when the "C" got switched and retrieved all of those we sent out. :)

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Since that time, they have discontinued the C and have now released the M-2353-CA. This is the new unit, with a completely new program. They addressed some issues in the previous unit programming and calibrated it to work with more tire sizes and staggered fitments (PWC 2014).

With all that being said, the C and CA both will show multiple "faults" on the dash of a street car. We do not see these as we run an AIM standalone display unit. The C unit showed Traction and Stability due to those functions no longer being present. The CA shows a "check braking system" warning on the display, as well as the hand brake light. People are jumping to the conclusion that the unit is still not right due to the last bad batch. So far we have been running the new unit with 3 race wins in 4 weeks. Ford Racing will not confirm the units use in a street car with a stock dash due to the nature of the part (off-road competition use only). They don't want that unit run on the street, period. The lights are there as a warning to the driver that something is not as the factory intended. We have yet to run the new unit in any cars running the stock dash, but 4 of our cars have been out with the new unit already and all have worked as they should. Although each car has an AIM display, all are using a factory ECU and factory based tune (nothing exotic)

-Bill
Thanks for the input, Bill. If anyone would know it would be you guys. Good to know that the -CA module is being favorably received at the Pro Road Racing levels. Nice jobs on the wins, by the way!

IMG_8211copy-M.jpg

The "M-2353-CA" module (not shown above - those are just for reference) is the exact ABS/TC unit we will be testing at TWS at the end of this month on our Time Trial car. The factory "Advanced Track" system has been faulting for 2 years and I have been watching the various updates to the Ford Racing units and am finally going to take the plunge. Yes, I realize it will make the dash light-up like a Christmas tree, but it already does that now, heh.

DSC_1260-M.jpg

It had these faults with the 315/30/18 Hosiers at all four corners and is just as bad or worse with the mis-matched 335/30/18 front and 345/35/18 rear (very different tire heights). The car cannot make a single hard lap now without faulting the TC system and/or going into limp mode, so we have to take drastic measures now. Even with the system turned all the way off the TC is turning itself back ON midway through my lap, and flashing all sorts of things on the display.

DSC_1126-M.jpg

I think with the extra grip of these tires + aero we are running it is just too far outside of the factory parameters? I am not faulting Ford for this - we've taken a simple OEM Mustang farther than they'd probably intended. I also don't want to encourage people with street/track Mustangs to think they need to ditch the OEM ABS/TC modules - this Ford Racing module is an upgrade made for race cars with big, grippy race tires. If you are reading this and are not sure if you need this ABS/TC module, then you don't. If you are racing a 2005-up Mustang with the OEM ABS/TC system in place and are seeing all sorts of faults and problems when racing, you'll know.

edit: I wanted to note that as badly as the Traction Control system has behaved for us (mostly just me - Amy is a much smoother driver and it never faults on here) the factory ABS system has performed almost flawlessly for 4 years. We had some Ice Mode ABS issues only one or two times in some weird autocross courses (weird yaw angles, usually on street tires, violent left foot braking - again, it only happened to me, not Amy) but on track the brakes work VERY WELL and I tip into the ABS mode fairly regularly. I have no complaints about the stock ABS in this 2011 GT anymore. I will talk more about the TC issues after we get the videos merged with the data and I write the event write-up for last weekend's NASA event. And I want people to know that I am by no means the expert on the Ford Racing ABS/TC systems... I just know how to break the stock stuff. :beerdrink:

DSC_1645-M.jpg

edit2: Just took two pictures of the M-2353-CA module above, which one of our customers dropped off at our shop today (thanks Jamie!). This is the unit we will install and test with on track at the end of this month. Our next two events are on street tires (Goodguys at TMS this Sunday and USCA at TMS the next weekend) but we're running on the Conti slicks at TWS with Goodguys March 29-30th.

DSC_1644-M.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back