2013 oil pump....billet back plate

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
So is anyone going to just use a 13 pump instead of going with TSS gears. I am confused on the concensus here. For a budjet minded build, a person could get a 13 pump and just swap over the springs? How hard is it to swap springs.

This is what I'm going to do.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
So is anyone going to just use a 13 pump instead of going with TSS gears. I am confused on the concensus here. For a budjet minded build, a person could get a 13 pump and just swap over the springs? How hard is it to swap springs.

Swapping springs is easy, just undo the hex bolt that holds it in. I think a 13 pump would be a good choose for a budget build, guess we will find out when one fails...if one does.

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
If I have the VCT locked, can I then run the GT500 pump without swapping the spring and plug? Or is it still recommended to swap them?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I have no VCT and I'm running the gt500 pump internals with no issues. If your turbo I'd use the GT internals...the gt500 pressure is too high for a oil fed turbo.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm running a GT500 pump that has been o-ringed with TSS gears. I did not replace the plug for the relief spring (still running the GT500 plug) and have no issues with my VCT

I am running Comp's limiters

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'm running a GT500 pump that has been o-ringed with TSS gears. I did not replace the plug for the relief spring (still running the GT500 plug) and have no issues with my VCT

I am running Comp's limiters

I have the same without the o-rings and no issues here. My vct is locked.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I guess that's were I'm confused.

I've never heard of oil pressure that is too high causing issues with VCT. Only when oil pressure that is too low, as when a 4.6L 2V or 4V pump is used

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I guess that's were I'm confused.

I've never heard of oil pressure that is too high causing issues with VCT. Only when oil pressure that is too low, as when a 4.6L 2V or 4V pump is used

I don't think there has been any confirmed issues with the gt500 stuff, people just playing it safe I think and not wanting to take the chance. I had no issues as well before I locked out the VCT.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I am going to bump this back up with a finding and a questions.

In this post One Eyed Willy found that between his 3v pump and his older GT500 pump, that the spring plugs were different lengths.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236912&postcount=1

Today I started getting ready to swap my 3v oil pump spring over to my '13 GT500 pump. I found that both plugs were the same, but the springs are different lengths. The springs also both have the exact same number of coils. The "tube" that the spring goes in the the '13 pump isn't as deep as the GT pump either. If the tubes were the same depth I wouldn't be questioning myself here, but now I am confused.

3V pump is the top pump

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Interesting, I never took my 13 pump apart, just put my TSS gears in it and installed it! I don't have VCT or a journal bearing turbo anymore so I didn't mind the GT 500 PSI.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
3V pump with it's original spring

'13 GT500 pump with its original spring

'13 GT500 pump with 3v spring

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I don't have vct anymore either. What kind of oil pressure are you seeing with the '13 pump?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
So do you think that I should just keep the '13 spring in the pump or swap in the 3v spring?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back