04 mach 1 block build

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Is a wap block from an 04 mach 1 a good block for a 600-650 hp street car build? Casting number 1l2e-6015 BB. From my research they're pretty similar to the 05+blocks. What's the limit on the mach 1 block?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Supposedly those max out around 600 hp. You will also need to address the extra hole in the 05+ timing cover to prevent oil leaking. When I ran one of those blocks I just tapped a 1/8" npt plug in the hole and it worked fine.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip. i had read there are some differences on the timing cover that require some extra sealant to prevent leaking most of the pics on the old threads are gone though thanks to photobucket. i've read some threads where ppl say 600 is about the limit then i've seen some take them to 700+ without issues. with this being a street car with only 2-3 trips to the track a year maybe i can toe the line on it. this will also be my first engine build so learning as i go.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've never seen the 600hp limit for the WAP blocks. Usually it was about 900. Not that I ever personally pushed s block that hard. But then I always dealt with 01 Cobra set ups.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I've never seen the 600hp limit for the WAP blocks. Usually it was about 900. Not that I ever personally pushed s block that hard. But then I always dealt with 01 Cobra set ups.
I've not heard of any 4.6 block rated that low to be honest

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
The 600 hp limit information was provided to me by Jim at JDM Engineering. He explained that the 3v blocks with code ending in "CC" are the good ones that can hold 1000hp however the explorer or Mach I blocks ending with "BB" are not as strong and therefore he wouldn't go past 600hp.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The 600 hp limit information was provided to me by Jim at JDM Engineering. He explained that the 3v blocks with code ending in "CC" are the good ones that can hold 1000hp however the explorer or Mach I blocks ending with "BB" are not as strong and therefore he wouldn't go past 600hp.
There's a guy I talk to on Mach 1 Registry that's into the 700hp range. I'm pretty sure he's running a stock block. I'll have to check.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I’ll be using a Mach 1 block for my build, mainly because I couldn’t find a 3v block to use at the time. I’ve read numbers all over the place for “limits” but have never read about a motor failure due to the block itself. I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ll probobly push mine to 650-700whp. I’ve read a few build threads on SVTPerformance of people pushing them much further than that.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, so right now i'm currently looking at machine shops in my area besides having the typical inspections done is there anything else i should ask about. i read that torque plates should be used when machining these blocks so i assume asking if the shop has them would be a good idea.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back