palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
What if this build is 150 hp short?

Current location of palaza7's old bap:

View attachment 66350

ill probably drive it into the river.
im glad my BaP lives on lol

You found some awesome deals! I’m a little jealous. Excited to follow your build though. Good luck!

thank you. if this engine actually runs i saved like 6k dollars lol

in other news, making some progress on the engine bay. slowly stripping it down. starting to get concerned i'll never remember how all this goes back together.. LOL

T9zIxZ2.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
My grandpa always told me, just put it all back together and see what nuts and bolts you have left over. If it runs for a week, just throw them away. The car didn’t need them anyways LOL. (He did masonry for a living, not a mechanic obviously)

Vallee

forum member
Reaction score
ill probably drive it into the river.
im glad my BaP lives on lol

thank you. if this engine actually runs i saved like 6k dollars lol

in other news, making some progress on the engine bay. slowly stripping it down. starting to get concerned i'll never remember how all this goes back together.. LOL

T9zIxZ2.jpg

Keep up the good work - It's looking good! Take lots of photos and you'll be just fine. This would also be a good time to detail the engine bay, during my build I had my engine bay professionally painted, smoothed out all the welds...etc..Glad I did it.

-Adam

goxLF1i.jpg

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Few updates. Got the kmember out
FhBDsW3l.jpg

Decided to finish stripping the engine bay the rest of the way, I pulled the break ABS and lines out as well.

Supercharger snout extension came in. Started tearing apart the face of the thing to figure out how it goes together. Turns out my S/C is an older version that isn't plug and play with the longer snouts. So i can send it to whipple for 600 bucks to have it brought up to speed or make my own coupling (i think, remains to be seen)

nnJrLAxl.jpg

YD63JIRl.jpg

Offending part

cSJgIEi.jpg

In other news, AFTER slicing off part of these strut towers I started to wonder if I critically damaged the strength of the body. It looks like the cap was sort of acting like a clamp to help hold the top body part to the lower. So I think I'm going to weld back in some metal to keep the strength there and just sanddown/bondo it smooth.

7rYegEi.jpg

Also working on my own custom killer chiller setup with my a/c lines. Interested to see how well it cools my intercooler temps.

Grr66d2l.jpg

Last edited:

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Been slowly going at it. Boy do I suck at body work HAHA. Learning as I go. Lots of runs to sand out tomorrow in the primer /facepalm BUT primer is on. Drying overnight going to sand tomorrow then hopefully my paint coat will go a little better.

Tips:

1. Second and third coats need way less paint than the first lol
2. primer should be a different color than your paint color. Can't see a damn thing.

Decided against welding up the seams. I had so many people tell me I run the risk of cracks and weakening the frame that I shouldn't do it if I'm actually driving/racing the car.
Welding up for a trailered showcar is one thing but welding high strength steel and making it brittle as all hell is another.
6PfJx8ml.jpg

7zBfOOQl.jpg

QCpWxEql.jpg

dpT2ad1l.jpg

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are just as many "show car" compromises that you can make to ruin driveability as race car ones.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
James, is your ati damper 6 or 8 rib, I'm looking for a stock size 8 rib if your replacing yours

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Last coat of paint on. For having no idea what I was doing, I think it came out okay. Now I want to paint the whole car haha

4wLiTrCl.jpg

nLrzruwl.jpg

James, is your ati damper 6 or 8 rib, I'm looking for a stock size 8 rib if your replacing yours

I have a 6 rib on there.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Looks great man! I've stared at those extensions on my strut towers and thought about cutting them off many times, never got up enough courage though! Congrats! I'm no expert but I wouldn't be concerned about welding it, I know it's already painted now and a moot point but I think it would have been okay.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
What engine mounts did you go with? Also I saw you dropped the Kmember, which unit did you replace it with?
Updates!

Currently doing some dry-fitting to get an idea of what sort of engineering I have ahead of me to build a 10rib belt system in front of the DOB manifold. Anyone know if the GT500 tensioner is stronger than our s197s? I have some mock ups already of where I'm going to put it, along with some belt changes.
HaIfF22.jpg

Also just bought some SUSPENSION UPGRADES -

BMR SP009 Springs
Viking Shocks for the rear
relo brackets
2013 gt500 ic pump
new motor mounts
extended whipple snout

droooool

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
What engine mounts did you go with? Also I saw you dropped the Kmember, which unit did you replace it with?

Decided to keep the stock Kmember and just paint it. I do have a full bushing replacement kit to start on soon while its out. I'm not really needing to shed weight so it would mostly be cosmetic anyway. I did buy BMR engine mount hardware that lower a bit to go with prothane mount kid I already have.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
holy shit you are cutting structural components of the car away!

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well learning autobody has been a painful yet somewhat rewarding process. After the paint didn't match how I liked, I had my local paint place mix me up a different white. After scuffing the entire car up I painted it again. This time the white that dried was even MORE OFF. SO I pulled the fender, had them do an exact match. Scuffed up and painted the entire thing for the THIRD FKING TIME. Paint is dead on now but got a little run in the engine bay strut tower. Also have some of the famous orange peel. Paint is far too thick now do repaint without sanding the entire thing down and no way in hell am I putting another 15 hrs into sanding lol. So I'm hoping to just do some polishing on the orange peel and see if I can sand out the run.

I picked up some cosmetic mods for the first time ever. Just can't let myself put anything back in this car that is dirty/beat up.
Going with aluminum radiator tank, supercharger tank, power steering. Also a new moroso catch can that looks great and should work better than my old JLT.
Also decided to break the budget and buy beautiful sexy AN hose to replace my visible heater hoses and hoses from the valve covers to the catch can. This thing is going to look great.

Now I'm working on painting the strut tower caps, plastic radiator cover. Also going to need to paint/refresh the wiper cowls, wiper blade arms and mirrors.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score

ATI does not make an 8 rib standard size, you have two choices if you want to stick with ATI. One is to obviously go to their OD sizes 12% or call them, they will cut two ribs into a standard 6 rib for you for another 60 bucks.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
ATI does not make an 8 rib standard size, you have two choices if you want to stick with ATI. One is to obviously go to their OD sizes 12% or call them, they will cut two ribs into a standard 6 rib for you for another 60 bucks.
Thanks

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Decided against welding up the seams. I had so many people tell me I run the risk of cracks and weakening the frame that I shouldn't do it if I'm actually driving/racing the car.
Welding up for a trailered showcar is one thing but welding high strength steel and making it brittle as all hell is another.

I’m very glad I read this. I am at this stage, prepping to paint, but my seams are slightly different and I want to clean them up. I’ve been talking on a body repair group on Facebook, and some recommended epoxy, but others said to weld it for strength.
Can you give a little more info about weakening it if welded?
52fdb5d99337f97fb395df69794612d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back