08 gt rear end clunk in neutral

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
+1 on the hole saw and wire brush, works great

if it was binding, would this be something you would feel when driving it? I believe both my upper control arm bushings are poly and don't notice anything odd except rattling when I drive over my rocky driveway.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the hole saw and wire brush, works great

if it was binding, would this be something you would feel when driving it? I believe both my upper control arm bushings are poly and don't notice anything odd except rattling when I drive over my rocky driveway.

Apparently if poly used at both ends, and flying around corners, and /or hitting bumps on one or both sides, they will bind. The oem setup had rubber bushings at both ends of the oem uca. I asked BMR about using poly at both ends and they said ..don't do it. Poly won't rotate on its axis like rubber, or a spherical. For DD use, I don't think poly-poly would be a huge issue.

My BMR LCA's are poly to poly, good enough for street use, but the hardcore AX and track folks would use a poly to spherical, or spherical to spherical lca...ditto with uca.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
That's what I was figuring, was that it was more of a concern if you were AX, tracking, or dragging it. I know for a fact i've replaced the housing side with a poly bushing, pretty sure the upper arm had a poly on the body side too, it's been awhile since I was under there.

i'll keep a feel out for it though I suppose, lol. How would this binding feel driving wise? Unexpected changes in direction, popping sounds, etc? Just wanna know what to be looking/feeling out for just in case.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Are the bushings bad or do you have a stock front mount with the smaller bolt for the bushings? The will cause a clunk with the bolt banging back and forth in the hole. The stock bushing has provisions for this. Some of the aftermarket companies have side bushings that have a step on them that fits in the larger hole with a smaller hole in them for the bolt to pass through. No noise with those.
If you just replace the bushings without addressing the mount then you will still have the same issue.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
OP said the oem rubber bushing at axle end of the uca is trashed. So I'm assuming he has the complete oem UCA assy and mating oem uca mount being used. I swapped to a BMR adjustable UCA..with poly at front end.....and oem rubber bushing at axle end. But I also bought the mating BMR uca hd mount. Then it comes with correct bolt to mount uca to uca mount..snug fit, no slop.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
dont know about OP, but I have the correct mount to go with the upper arm as well, no stock upper mount.

teeje

Reaction score
So that did not work. Still clunkin. I wonder if it's the lowers but I just replaced them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
My 2008 GT was suffering a clunking noise in the rear. Only heard it when going slow but it seriously felt and sounded like rear end was falling apart. Replaced rear UCA and LCA, UCA mount and the differential bushing. All BMR from AM. The clanking went away. Only noise back there now is from SR panhard bar.

teeje

Reaction score
Weird, got new rims and it went away
6a8fed485b190cc9e633af6b87ae3101.jpg
a439394b25a82f533acfd0b2364803de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Weird, got new rims and it went away

Maybe the old wheels weren't torqued to spec? I had that happen when I was a teenager. Kept hearing a clunk in the rear. Shop couldn't find it and the rear wheel finally fell off! Lol!

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
You will ALWAYS find that sound eventually, when it fails!:whistle1:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
No shit, right? Luckily I was taking my girlfriend home in town and not flyin down the interstate. '78 Fiat Spyder. I loved that car but it was nothing but a headache.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back