'18 GT 10-spd auto dyno numbers: 415/397

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Then toss in ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control. How many folks would be willing to give up abs brakes next week.. or key fobs, or microwave ovens, smart phones etc. Once u get used to it, kinda tough to relinquish it.

A couple of weeks ago, while channel surfing, I saw 2 race cars going at it on a road course... and both were driverless. You can see where this is all going. Norm will soon be able to sit up in the stands, eating a hot dog, while the software drives his car around the track at 10/10ths. Years ago, I tried my hand at computer chess..and promptly got my ass kicked 8 times in a row. Threw in the towel and have never played chess since.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I don't care about faster/safer. Fvck slushboxes and abs, and any other "nany" computer gadget that wants to override my control inputs! HA Driving a mustang should be in the driver's hands 100%.

Ps: my car has NO ABS. It came that way from the factory!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
How many folks would be willing to give up abs brakes next week.. or key fobs, or microwave ovens, smart phones etc. Once u get used to it, kinda tough to relinquish it.
The only one of those I'd really fight about having to give up would be the microwave oven. I've had ABS go inop on two of my cars that had it, including the Mustang at a track day. Don't have a smart phone to give up.

Norm will soon be able to sit up in the stands, eating a hot dog, while the software drives his car around the track at 10/10ths.
10/10ths for the first 3 seconds down pit lane . . . maybe. Otherwise it'd only be 10/10ths for a "how not to drive" comedy spoof - you have no idea how poor I am at "virtual driving", and I have no idea how to describe such an extreme level of 'fail'.

Norm

46addict

Reaction score
Then toss in ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control. How many folks would be willing to give up abs brakes next week.. or key fobs, or microwave ovens, smart phones etc. Once u get used to it, kinda tough to relinquish it.

All I really need in a car is AC/heat, power brakes, FM radio, and an AUX input for the radio. Power steering is nice but I can go without it if we're talking complete barebones. I don't even use the keyfob all the time because I like to make sure the keyhole drum in the door handle doesn't seize up.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All I really need in a car is AC/heat, power brakes, FM radio, and an AUX input for the radio. Power steering is nice but I can go without it if we're talking complete barebones. I don't even use the keyfob all the time because I like to make sure the keyhole drum in the door handle doesn't seize up.

I'd go even farther. All I need in a car is AC/heat. I don't even need a radio. Sometimes I drive without turning mine on. Manual brakes, manual windows, manual steering. It's all good.

My brother had an '80 mustang coupe for a winter beater many years ago that was a 2.3 4 speed. It had manual everything, no AC.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

ABS is nice but not a necessity. My old turbo coupe had ABS from the factory, then the pump went out (requiring you to almost stand on the brake pedal just to slow the car down, very dangerous) and repairing it was going to cost several hundred dollars. I converted it to plain old vacuum-assist brakes and lost the ABS in the process- never really missed it.

46addict

Reaction score
I'd go even farther. All I need in a car is AC/heat. I don't even need a radio. Sometimes I drive without turning mine on. Manual brakes, manual windows, manual steering. It's all good.

My brother had an '80 mustang coupe for a winter beater many years ago that was a 2.3 4 speed. It had manual everything, no AC.

That is true about the radio. If the exhaust sounds good enough there's no need for one. I remember reading about a race version of the Viper (ACR maybe?) when it was being developed and the engineer being interviewed said they opted for power windows for the car because the manual crank assembly weighed more than the electrics.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
almost all cars have power windows these days because its cheaper to just have one line for power windows than have two lines for power and crank.

I am pretty sure since the 90's every car and truck has had power locks. Even if you don't have the button the parts are all in there. Once again cheaper to have one line than two. All your really getting charged for is the button.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm
I'll inspect my gf's car.
'16 Patriot iirc. Manual windows and locks. If it's got the wiring there I'll figure something out for central locking

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
The new mustang running 11.8 with just a tire change at 120 mph has done one thing for me, buying anything else besides tires and other maintenance is it I think for my 2013! 2018 saved me a lot of money, pointless trying to chase it. My best run ever was a 12.4 @ 114. I average 12.5 @ 112. Guess my new found money can go into expensive waxes lol.

That car I just look at everyday last few weeks and think wow that's a lot of car. But don't like it enough for a new car payment.

Last edited:

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah the 2013 Titan I used to own didnt have power locks or windows, I think base work trucks can still be had without all of that stuff. I added power locks and keyless entry for under $200 if I remember right.

Team Beefcake got into the 10s on their 18 with nitrous, tire, and some suspension. Nitrous wasnt even fully tuned. Pretty good for testing things out.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think base work trucks can still be had without all of that stuff.

Yep I'm pretty sure all new base trucks can still be had like that. My ranger is a 2009, former work truck, it has crank windows, manual locks, and a plain old AM/FM radio. I'm pretty sure the only options on it are AC, auto transmission, and tow package. My FIL's shop truck is a 2011 Super Duty and it's the same way.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score

Unfortunately for 2011+ S197 owners, you only get to have AC for the first ~40k miles before the compressor takes a dirt nap.

46addict

Reaction score
The new mustang running 11.8 with just a tire change at 120 mph has done one thing for me, buying anything else besides tires and other maintenance is it I think for my 2013! 2018 saved me a lot of money, pointless trying to chance it. My best run ever was a 12.4 @ 114. I average 12.5 @ 112. Guess my new found money can go into expensive waxes lol.

That car I just look at everyday last few weeks and think wow that's a lot of car. But don't like it enough for a new car payment.

What do you mean? Are you saying your car is capable of going 11.8 with a tire change?

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
For the 2015+ S550 it's less than that.

Is that right!?

Come on, Ford!

This reminds me of the hood corrosion issues that spans generations. Ford just never saw fit to fix it.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Are you saying your car is capable of going 11.8 with a tire change?

First auto correct made it say 2018 saved me a lot of money, pointless trying to chance it. Supposed to say pointless trying to chase it.

I highly doubt am cutting off .7 seconds on a tire change! I don't think my car is a 11 second car. I meant new mustang is so good from the factory that after a few modifications that car is going to be a low 11 second car with a stock torque converter. That's one hell of a car. Trying to make a S197 run with that car is going to take a lot of cash pass the typical bolt on parts. Am not even going to try as short of strapping a supercharger on it won't be able to stay with it/ beat it at the drag strip with the S197 5.0. Yes a torque converter will probably make S197 faster vs a stock 2018 but that 2018 is still stock

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lund Racing ran their baseline numbers on their 6-spd '18 GT, on 93 octane it did 430 rwhp, 401 rwtq.
Assuming 13% driveline loss, that's 494 crank HP.

Then they tuned it on e85, threw some 20" drag radials on it, and ran an 11.3 @ 123.9 mph

Yeah, kinda wish it was an auto, that might've been a 10-sec pass, lol

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
There is a shop here in South Florida that got there's on the rollers and it put down 439 RWHP. These things are going to be Monsters!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back