18 or 20's

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I am looking for some new wheels and was thinking 18's cause I had read that 20's are too big (rotating mass) and will slow down my quarter mile times.

I found these at cruisin concepts. http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20INCHOMEGA-BLACKWTOYOPROXES4

Thats a hellova deal for a complete package at $1269.

Once a month I take my stang to the track and get the enjoy its full potential. I do plan to install 4.10 gears and if my traction is shot I will then run with DR's.

Whats the down side of running the 20's? Is a 30 sidewall too small? Gonna give me a horrible rough ride?

What about these? http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=godspeedblkchrpackage My car sits in the driveway so chrome is out of the question, too hard to keep clean and I am not a fan. But what about this black chrome? Pain to keep clean too? How about this crazy tread pattern? Weird huh!! Those 295's would be wide as shit though!

patrick

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
18 will give you more performance, because with tire they are lighter then a 20 at the same width, often by quite a lot.

also you will lose a lot of the ride quality by going from a 17 to an 18, and then a lot more by going to a 20, every mustang i have ridden in with 20"s had a very harsh ride.

I know quite a few racers, that have a spare set of 17 or 15 with their drag slicks/radials on them and just swap tires at the track.

just my 2 cents.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Thats what I thought. More than likely I will end up with 18's. Thanks for setting me straight! LOL

patrick

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I have 19''s with 295/30's and the ride isn't bad at all bump I can feel the bumps more because the 30's are short tires.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
18 will give you more performance, because with tire they are lighter then a 20 at the same width, often by quite a lot.

also you will lose a lot of the ride quality by going from a 17 to an 18, and then a lot more by going to a 20, every mustang i have ridden in with 20"s had a very harsh ride.

I know quite a few racers, that have a spare set of 17 or 15 with their drag slicks/radials on them and just swap tires at the track.

just my 2 cents.
I didn't loose that much if any ride quality going from 17" to 18".

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have 19''s with 295/30's and the ride isn't bad at all bump I can feel the bumps more because the 30's are short tires.

Got any pics?

Shopping for wheels is kinda overwhelming.............there is so much to choose from.

patrick

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Got any pics?

Shopping for wheels is kinda overwhelming.............there is so much to choose from.

patrick

Yup, oh and I plan on going with 295/35's when I get new tires after the winter. They'll be alittle taller and fill my fenders more.

Last edited:

Jaylee

forum member
Reaction score
19" tires will cost you more than 20"s, something to think about. I have 20"s on my car. I could feel a loss in performance over the stockers. They are also staggered, looks great but it makes tire rotation expensive. Just a little food for thought.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
19" tires will cost you more than 20"s, something to think about. I have 20"s on my car. I could feel a loss in performance over the stockers. They are also staggered, looks great but it makes tire rotation expensive. Just a little food for thought.

yup, they do cost more, but its good if he wants something in between like I did. Gotta pay to play though :beer:

I am not a fan of chrome but dude those look great on your car!

I really like this version of the bullit wheel in anthracite.....it doesnt say they make an 18' that fits our stang though.

http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/products.asp?cat=197

patrick

If I were you I would get the 2010 GT Hypercoated wheels from AM.

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
I am looking for some new wheels and was thinking 18's cause I had read that 20's are too big (rotating mass) and will slow down my quarter mile times.

I found these at cruisin concepts. http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=20INCHOMEGA-BLACKWTOYOPROXES4

Thats a hellova deal for a complete package at $1269.

Once a month I take my stang to the track and get the enjoy its full potential. I do plan to install 4.10 gears and if my traction is shot I will then run with DR's.

Whats the down side of running the 20's? Is a 30 sidewall too small? Gonna give me a horrible rough ride?

What about these? http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=godspeedblkchrpackage My car sits in the driveway so chrome is out of the question, too hard to keep clean and I am not a fan. But what about this black chrome? Pain to keep clean too? How about this crazy tread pattern? Weird huh!! Those 295's would be wide as shit though!

patrick

I have stock 18s and bought 20s running nitto DR 305/35/20. Rides the same as the 18s to me. Cost me 2 tents at the track but on the street if im already rolling doesnt seem to hurt performance judging from car lenths on a roll race. Have 20x9 up front and 20x10 in back. 20x10s weigh 15lbs more each and 12lbs more each up front! total 48lbs. I use 17s at the track with M/T DR 275/45/17s. Hope this helps out!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back