2005 Mustang ProAm build

Discussion in 'Drift Racing Tech Discussion' started by OutlawEvans, Jan 22, 2017.

1. OutlawEvans

OutlawEvans forum member

Idk if I’ve asked yet, but does anyone have recommendations what rear end to get and what company?

2. 46addict

46addict 13726548

It would be nice to get some pointers on drifting techniques for someone starting out. Once I have funds for extra sets of tires I may sign up for some amateur events. I have tried sliding in parking lots but it seems to take some speed (and experience) to carry a drift through. I haven't done anything more than that for fear of wrecking the car.

I wasn't aware of a return spring in these cars. I thought the clutch was hydraulic assist.

I'm not sure if you're continuing this build now, but one thing you can do is weld the stock axle tubes to the pumpkin and then install an axle brace for extra insurance.

3. RocketcarX

RocketcarX 95% of my weight is fuel

That 8.8 is way stronger than your needs, you just need to put it back together with 4.56 gears and set your rear suspension to let the rear end unload easier.
    The stock gears are fucking you, they add way too much load and take away the "hit" you need to side step the clutch for breaking traction.

4. 46addict

46addict 13726548

Yeah I agree on steeper gearing and maybe a PD blower or turbo on low boost to give you the torque you need in 3rd gear. That would be a cheapest route. With these you may not even need to clutch kick.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 12:35 AM
  5. Anti

Anti forum member

He was running 4.10 gear iirc. 4.56 gears would help for sure since it is a dedicated track car. Otherwise they'd be too low for daily use. I'm sure you know already, I'm just mentioning it.