2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/70268/10002/-1#reviewTab Here is the B+M 70268 cooler I use. Jegs list it as 13,000 GVW in the url . Jegs also list it as 13,000 BTU.

B+M list it as just 13,000 BTU, no mention of GVW.

Heat exchangers, like radiators, coolers etc, are typ rated in BTU's... or how much heat they are able to extract... ( with a given airflow). I can't fathom how GVW even factors into the equation. If you know aprx how many BTU's you have to dump, you just choose a cooler of at least that size or bigger. I did read that those ratings assume the cooler is in free air, and not behind another radiator / heat exchanger. If you have another rad in front of the cooler, you can typ extract only 70% of its BTU rating. ( IE: has to be de-rated to 70%).

I had a couple of options, one was to toss the OEM auto tranny rad..and replace with a single unit, but a helluva lot bigger. Problem is, the oem cooler is sandwiched between the oem eng rad...and the oem AC rad. There is no wiggle room to play with. So in the end, I thought it prudent to just plumb a 2nd cooler in series with the oem unit. I also looked at the TCI units, but they are all of tube + fin design. The newer bar + plate design appeared to be a bit more efficient for a given size. The T stat inside the B+M runs on viscosity. At low temps, like start up etc, the ATF essentially flows directly from the input to the output. As the ATF heats up, the rest of the bar + plate assy comes into play. In normal operation, around town, it takes a long time to get the temp up to 170 F. I can drive from home to the UPS main office, aprx 6 miles away, and its only at 152 F. But if instead going to the hwy, 3 miles away, and once on the hwy, it's up to 170 F quick like..then just stays at 170 F... cruising in OD, at 1.5 krpm @ 50 mph. Turn the blower on in 3rd gear, might go up 1 deg to 171....172 max.. regardless of outside temps in hot wx. Main thing is works, cheap to buy and relatively simple install.

My issue is starting at the eng, I have the oem eng rad, then the pair of vertically stacked tranny coolers in front of eng rad. Then the oem AC rad in front of the tranny coolers. Then the Roush 18" tall x 21" wide heat exchanger at the very front. Oem power steering small rad ( with circular fins) is jammed tight between bottom of roush heat exchanger..and bottom of AC rad. I replaced the oem upper grille on my 2010 auto, with a 7 bar upper grille ( oem upper foglamp delete). At least then, I could get a lot more airflow through the upper grille. The oem 2010-2012 upper grille is a dead loss airflow wise. It's highly restrictive, and aprx 70-80% blocked. The new 7 bar upper grille works good, way more airflow through the various rads, and also eliminated 2 x 90 deg bends into the oem 'snorkel' that feeds intake air into the oem airbox. Boost went up .5 psi when > 40 mph. A few other 2010 owners I talk to also noted their boost increased with the 7 bar grille installed.

Performance automatic (who makes the deeper tranny pans) tells me that if the temp is 200 F or less, there is no issue. If > 200 F, a bigger cooler, or a 2nd cooler is required. I only saw a max of 205 F in hot wx with blower on, but decided to add the 2nd cooler anyway. I considered it cheap insurance.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
New pricing as of January 1st 2019 for those that might be interested.
There are now 6-pages at the end of the pictures with full details on it's build.

Terry

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, what got you out of the Mopar?
Yeah, this I would like to know myself. For folks contemplating the Dodge challenger, what are the pitfalls / cons ? There must be something amiss. You only had it 5 months.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, what got you out of the Mopar?

Yeah, this I would like to know myself. For folks contemplating the Dodge challenger, what are the pitfalls / cons ? There must be something amiss. You only had it 5 months.

I'm guessing he lost his Captain's License and isn't allowed to drive boats anymore

I posted this over on the Hellcat.org internet site as I was asked the exact same question.
You asked and I don't mind answering with why it's gone.

(1) My age has a lot to do with it and where I live and drive
(2) It's a BIG car
(3) Major pain in heavy, bumper to bumper traffic and that's the way it is where I live
(4) Had to always back it in so when leaving I could see how to pull back out
(5) The Challenger Hellcat has one Major thing that I could not get use to, HUGE-BLIND-AREAS that you could easily hide a full-size Crew-cab pickup truck in
(6) It has the POWER but telling it like it really is you couldn't really use it without losing your license
(7) Lastly, the Hellcat always made me extremely nervous with it's size and I think age plays a role in the things I have mentioned
Terry

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I think I mentioned to you B4 about just leasing a hellcat..say for 3 months. That woulda given you enough time to evaluate it. But I don't think there were any to lease at the time.

Actually, leasing any potential big buck car / truck for 3-6 months is a good idea, if it can be done. Or even rent one for the week / weekend, 2-3 weeks. Then put it through it's paces.

I have the louvers on the 1/4 windows on my 2010, and the 1/4 windows are heavily tinted as is. The rear window is also heavily tinted, like 15%. The 2010 has the automatic day / night rear view mirror. Between the night mirror, and tinted glass, I can barely see blue-red lights behind me. Do everything with side mirrors.

I'm a night person..and avoid daytime traffic like the plague. Just came back from errands on the other side of town. What a gong show, 20% of driver's have no clue what they are doing. Parking spots are getting smaller and smaller. Pick up trucks won't even fit in most of em. Local roads have turned to crap over the last 8 yrs, hwy is good though. Very few places I can get on it. IF they ever brought back photo radar, I'd sell the car the next day. We also have newly installed bike lanes all over down town, miles of them. So we just lost a lane on every major street. A lot of em, we can't turn right at an intersection any more... the bikes get priority. We have lost > 1100 on street parking slots, cuz of the new bike lanes. Our lesbian mayor and goofballs on city council have also ok'ed skate boarders riding on down town city streets, wtf? 5 mashed in the 1st week.

Good luck on the audi.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I mentioned to you B4 about just leasing a hellcat..say for 3 months. That woulda given you enough time to evaluate it. But I don't think there were any to lease at the time.

Actually, leasing any potential big buck car / truck for 3-6 months is a good idea, if it can be done. Or even rent one for the week / weekend, 2-3 weeks. Then put it through it's paces.

I have the louvers on the 1/4 windows on my 2010, and the 1/4 windows are heavily tinted as is. The rear window is also heavily tinted, like 15%. The 2010 has the automatic day / night rear view mirror. Between the night mirror, and tinted glass, I can barely see blue-red lights behind me. Do everything with side mirrors.

I'm a night person..and avoid daytime traffic like the plague. Just came back from errands on the other side of town. What a gong show, 20% of driver's have no clue what they are doing. Parking spots are getting smaller and smaller. Pick up trucks won't even fit in most of em. Local roads have turned to crap over the last 8 yrs, hwy is good though. Very few places I can get on it. IF they ever brought back photo radar, I'd sell the car the next day. We also have newly installed bike lanes all over down town, miles of them. So we just lost a lane on every major street. A lot of em, we can't turn right at an intersection any more... the bikes get priority. We have lost > 1100 on street parking slots, cuz of the new bike lanes. Our lesbian mayor and goofballs on city council have also ok'ed skate boarders riding on down town city streets, wtf? 5 mashed in the 1st week.

Good luck on the audi.
Well I waited a year to give it a try with the Hellcat and Cathy said go ahead so I did.
I had it for a year and finally said to wife .........
If your not going to get royally pissed-off I'm going to trade-in the Hellcat on the Audi RS3.
The samething I was considering when looking into the Hellcat a year ago.
She said it's not like Terry that I told you so but you said I want to have my Last Muscle-Car.
Anyway the RS3 has been ordered and the Hellcat has already been sold to a guy in Mississippi.
The prospective owner called me on my cell this morning and wanted to know about the Hellcat.
I gave him all the information on it and he said I'm calling as soon as we hang-up and on my way to pick it up.

As you say traffic is now a bitch and Big cars are not fun to manage around any-longer.
(I do think that when we do truly get older it plays a major-role though)

The afternoon they came and picked it up from the garage.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, sorry to hear about the Hellcat, but if you weren't comfortable nor able to fully enjoy it? then there's really no point in keeping a car around for which you're not happy with. In the meantime, congrats on the new Audi and hope you'll enjoy it.

-Rocky

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, sorry to hear about the Hellcat, but if you weren't comfortable nor able to fully enjoy it? then there's really no point in keeping a car around for which you're not happy with. In the meantime, congrats on the new Audi and hope you'll enjoy it.

-Rocky
Hi Rocky,

Well I gave it a try even though I did know it was a Huge car compared to even the Bullitt Mustang.
Hey the way I see it if you never try anything new how are you ever really going to know ???
Now I know and have moved on ...........

Terry

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Hey the way I see it if you never try anything new how are you ever really going to know ???
Terry

very much this ^^^ I thought I'd have a break from American V8's and tried my SLK55 for 18months but, great as it is, it just doesn't excite me in the same way. The only way to know is to give it a try

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
very much this ^^^ I thought I'd have a break from American V8's and tried my SLK55 for 18months but, great as it is, it just doesn't excite me in the same way. The only way to know is to give it a try
Exactly !!!

I did and now after a year has passed I'm 100% over the Hellcat.
It is a Bad-Machine no doubt but it was not a good fit for me.

I want a performance sedan super easy to see what's coming behind as well as what's right at the rear quarter of the car.
Smaller physical car is my preference for where I live and drive.
I also prefer and if possible want All-Wheel-Drive and the RS3 is Quattro so it's an excellent fit.

T.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Rocky,

Well I gave it a try even though I did know it was a Huge car compared to even the Bullitt Mustang.
Now I know and have moved on ...........

Terry
I agree and understand exactly where you're coming from, Terry. Although I really like how Mopar got the retro styling of the Challenger spot on, IMO I just couldn't justify getting past its huge size and very poor visibility compared to the current S550 and previous gen S197 Mustang. At one point, I also considered the current gen Camaro, but despite its 200lb weight reduction, the visibility is still just as horrible as the previous 5th gen. Needless to say, I was extremely very grateful for making the decision to hold onto my 06' Mustang GT. Anyhow, if I were in your place? I would just hold onto your 08' Bullitt if you can financially afford to do so? and then just use the Audi as a daily driver :patriot:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree and understand exactly where you're coming from, Terry. Although I really like how Mopar got the retro styling of the Challenger spot on, IMO I just couldn't justify getting past its huge size and very poor visibility compared to the current S550 and previous gen S197 Mustang. At one point, I also considered the current gen Camaro, but despite its 200lb weight reduction, the visibility is still just as horrible as the previous 5th gen. Needless to say, I was extremely very grateful for making the decision to hold onto my 06' Mustang GT. Anyhow, if I were in your place? I would just hold onto your 08' Bullitt if you can financially afford to do so? and then just use the Audi as a daily driver :patriot:
06 T-RED S/C GT,

In my case I could keep the Bullitt and still enjoy the heck out of it.
It is without any doubt Bad-Ass for a 100% totally streetable car.
The real problem is I just don't have space for the 3rd car no matter what it would be.
The one thing this house did not have was the 3-car-garage. :(
So that being the way it is the Bullitt has to go even though as many of us know I'm going to take a _ucking on it no doubt.
But it is what it is and the Bullitt Mustang if I like it or not is only really worth what a buyer will ultimately pay for it.
If I was younger I would have kept the Bullitt but at my age I'm running out of years.
So I want to try some different cars while I still can ...........

Oh, I have been in the new Camaro as well as new Vetts and both are pitiful to see out of.
I have always much-much preferred and had Manual Transmission cars and they were Coupes.
Things change though and if a guy is willing to admit that he is not still as sharp as he once was will change and I have.

Terry

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
06 T-RED S/C GT,

In my case I could keep the Bullitt and still enjoy the heck out of it.
It is without any doubt Bad-Ass for a 100% totally streetable car.
The real problem is I just don't have space for the 3rd car no matter what it would be.
The one thing this house did not have was the 3-car-garage. :(
So that being the way it is the Bullitt has to go even though as many of us know I'm going to take a _ucking on it no doubt.
But it is what it is and the Bullitt Mustang if I like it or not is only really worth what a buyer will ultimately pay for it.
If I was younger I would have kept the Bullitt but at my age I'm running out of years.
So I want to try some different cars while I still can ...........

Oh, I have been in the new Camaro as well as new Vetts and both are pitiful to see out of.
I have always much-much preferred and had Manual Transmission cars and they were Coupes.
Things change though and if a guy is willing to admit that he is not still as sharp as he once was will change and I have.

Terry
I completely understand and agree 100%, Terry.

-Rocky

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 3 series cars are tiny inside

Pit a lift in for 3 cars.

Hell I have a one car garage and have 4 cars :)

JimC

Reaction score
I had a Challenger for a rental when I was going back and forth between Michigan and North Carolina. Before my wife got her BMW she was thinking about getting one, but the only one she found was a Hellcat with a stick so she didn't go for it. When I came home with the Challenger we went out for dinner and she said, "this thing is huge, good thing I didn't get one."

It was better than the Camaro rental I had though. Big, with even bigger blind spots, and it had that MPG improvement with cylinder deactivation. Which meant going through mountains of WV and VA I was having to floor it going up hill or it would slow down.

Enjoy the Audi Terry.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back